• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Long-term Recovery

Martha Anderson

Oct 10, 2017
San Francisco
✟15,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi all. I am so thankful to be able to join a thread of believers that are coming together to help each other stay on track. I currently have a loved one going through long-term recovery from substance abuse and it is a daily struggle to help them stay clean. Just on here to seek advise, encouragement, etc.

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Prayers
Reactions: John Goodness

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi all. I am so thankful to be able to join a thread of believers that are coming together to help each other stay on track. I currently have a loved one going through long-term recovery from substance abuse and it is a daily struggle to help them stay clean. Just on here to seek advise, encouragement, etc.
Welcome here. It's not easy, but a good support system can make it a lot less unmanageable. Remember: addiction is primarily a relational disease, and so it's probably affected your own behavior in ways you're not aware of and that reinforce the disease in both of you. The best thing you can do for your loved one is to attend to your own recovery, so I strongly encourage you to join the Nar-Anon or Al-Anon fellowships in your area, get a sponsor and work the Steps. That way you can have a chance of maintaining your own sanity even if your loved one relapses.

By the grace of God I've been clean for over 30 years in NA, and a lot's happened in that time. Deaths of family and friends, serious financial struggles, children falling deep into addiction... life goes on, and yet, through it all, the Steps have been the tools that God's used to help me learn how to live as a human being. Don't quit before the miracle happens.

• Prayers
Reactions: John Goodness
Upvote 0