peterborough
✟33,497.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This maybe just me, but I like posts to be concise, not too short, (I don't do twitter), & not too long, with lots of scriptures, & ramblings of someone's views, otherwise my tendency, is to skip a lot, & yes that may mean me missing a good point amongst the sermon.

I realise we all want to highlight our belief & doctrine, but a bombardment of opinions & scriptures could be reduced to get across our view. Most posts seem to be OK, but maybe about 30% seem to be way too long & off-putting. On that note, I don't want to ramble on too, so what do folks think?

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree, though I'm guilty of many long posts myself. The problem is that I'm often left with a choice of replying with nuance, which tends to amount to lengthy posts, or just the conclusion, which can be prone to misunderstanding. I guess I just have to try to encapsulate and summerise the ideas more efficiently. A tricky balance to get right! :)

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
but a bombardment of opinions & scriptures could be reduced to get across our view

Welcome Peter John!

Try doing that with some of Paul's arguments in Scripture! For example, Ephesians 1:3-14 is just one sentence!

You have shared your opinion. Thanks. You will need to do what you decide to do.

Some things can be said or done briefly, others not. I enjoy a longer post sometimes, because I can then understand where a person is coming from & be able to, as Scripture says, to 'rightly divide' the word of truth & expose false teaching, using Scripture to show the error & seek to bring correction.

Some posts are as you say, simply opinions & ramblings. Those I usually just skip & move on to other threads. Others are longer, because they are a testimony or explaining the issues they are struggling with & those cannot just be short.

May the Lord bless & keep you & yours as you seek to walk by faith & in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
This maybe just me, but I like posts to be concise, not too short, (I don't do twitter), & not too long, with lots of scriptures, & ramblings of someone's views, otherwise my tendency, is to skip a lot, & yes that may mean me missing a good point amongst the sermon.

I realise we all want to highlight our belief & doctrine, but a bombardment of opinions & scriptures could be reduced to get across our view. Most posts seem to be OK, but maybe about 30% seem to be way too long & off-putting. On that note, I don't want to ramble on too, so what do folks think?

5 words: I think you're extremely wrong.

Upvote 0

HatedByAll

Changed by the Grace of God
Sep 13, 2019
Southeast
✟61,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People making posts should consider how much time the readers have to read their post. I for one don't have two or three hours a day to read this forum. For that reason, a post so long I have to make multiple scrolls to read is not going to be read unless it is a subject I have great interest in.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

I typically don’t read more than 2-3 paragraph posts unless they are super interesting or I’m having an active discussion. I just skim them

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
This is a great example of the intellectual laziness that follows our modern society's increasing acceleration, and never ending time pressure. One could call us speed/ time junkies. Bourdieu hit the nail on its head in his take on the postmodern society.

What a sad state...

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Right back at you, as a Catholic, you are wrong, but you will have to find that out in due course.

The difference between catholics and protestants is that while we got one pope, you got millions of them...
Every protestant is indeed his own pope.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.