user385

Oct 8, 2016
New York City
✟36,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am lonely and depressed. The only way that I know of to fight the depression is witnessing. I like conversation that has a purpose. Talking about the weather or about my studies is boring to me. I really need some prayer. I am discouraged about witnessing.

I have tried going door to door in my neighborhood and I attempted evangelizing. I tried saying to the people I was trying to witness to that I was going around asking people about their spiritual beliefs and then I would ask the person if they had a few minutes (to discuss their spiritual beliefs). People either said they weren't interested or they said they were busy. About 60 to 70 percent of the houses I went to nobody answered the door. I was knocking on doors. I did not try ringing doorbells. I also tried asking people if they are Christian and the people would say they were busy. I feel discouraged. I am trying to think of a way to start a spiritual conversation with people (people who are strangers). My depression is really bad. I think I am going to try seeing a pastor. I need to socialize. If you live in the Dallas area or the Oklahoma City area let me know. Maybe we could meet in person. Thank you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am lonely and depressed. The only way that I know of to fight the depression is witnessing. I like conversation that has a purpose. Talking about the weather or about my studies is boring to me. I really need some prayer. I am discouraged about witnessing.

I have tried going door to door in my neighborhood and I attempted evangelizing. I tried saying to the people I was trying to witness to that I was going around asking people about their spiritual beliefs and then I would ask the person if they had a few minutes (to discuss their spiritual beliefs). People either said they weren't interested or they said they were busy. About 60 to 70 percent of the houses I went to nobody answered the door. I was knocking on doors. I did not try ringing doorbells. I also tried asking people if they are Christian and the people would say they were busy. I feel discouraged. I am trying to think of a way to start a spiritual conversation with people (people who are strangers). My depression is really bad. I think I am going to try seeing a pastor. I need to socialize. If you live in the Dallas area or the Oklahoma City area let me know. Maybe we could meet in person. Thank you.
How about trying it with the needy or less fortunate, and take something tangible with you that they might need maybe...? They'll usually at least listen to you or hear you out some at least, most of them, if you provide them with something they might need also...

And some of them would just love just to have somebody to talk to, regardless anyway also, "some" of them anyway... By someone who can also maybe show or shows that they care by providing them with something simple and basic and tangible that they might need, or would meet some of their most basic needs...

Anyway, just a thought...

It opens a lot of doors a lot of the time, socially, to share the gospel, ect...

I don't think they'll say their "too busy" anyway...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Instead of making it your prime focus to convert people to the faith, it can be better to simply support needy or hurting people from out of your faith and from there introduce the spiritual side of the coin. Loving and supporting people will often make them much more open to discuss the things of the heart.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I'm very sorry about your depression. People aren't open to changing their beliefs in our society. I've never convinced any relative to become a Christian. Young college age people are more open to conversion because they are searching for the meaning of life. They are invited to church by their friends.

Most people don't want to talk to total strangers. So for one thing you have to know how to make friends. Find information on Friendship Evangelism.

Some of us prefer to discuss Christianity for the better part of a day. Maybe we're interested in learning more or maybe some of us have OCD. You can socialize here at CF if nothing else works out.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How about trying it with the needy or less fortunate, and take something tangible with you that they might need maybe...? They'll usually at least listen to you or hear you out some at least, most of them, if you provide them with something they might need also...

And some of them would just love just to have somebody to talk to, regardless anyway also, "some" of them anyway... By someone who can also maybe show or shows that they care by providing them with something simple and basic and tangible that they might need, or would meet some of their most basic needs...

Anyway, just a thought...

It opens a lot of doors a lot of the time, socially, to share the gospel, ect...

I don't think they'll say their "too busy" anyway...

God Bless!
Just be a little bit careful and just a little bit cautious though also, if you do or decide to too, K...?

Canned goods that don't require a can opener and disposable forks and spoons, even some ramen noodles, ect, drinking water, soaps, toothpaste, toothbrushes, wipes, ect, ect...

You know basic stuff...

Put together little care packages of some kind... You'd be surprised how many of them will greatly appreciate it... Want to talk maybe, ect... Some of them, ect...

Volunteer places that help people like that maybe, ect...

There are all kinds of things you could do...

Just be careful though, if you decide to do alone or all by yourself, and if that's a concern, maybe you know someone who might like to go with you or do it with you sometimes...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

User385 we all have different gifts. Public witnessing is not for everyone and it may not be for you. As to being bored with study, well the bible is a most intriguing book with enough interest and excitement to keep us fascinated for the rest of our lives. You might enjoy Lee Strobels ( the case for Christ ) to further broaden your interest of the many topics that can found therein. Do you have a church where you can spend time with brothers and sisters to take some of that Loneliness away

• Winner
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I understand your plight.
I too have been witnessing for years, but have come to realize how little most care about anything but themselves.
But isn't that what we have been warned about from scripture?
Many are called but few are chosen?
Don't allow pessimism to creep in where persistence is required.

When I was converted, I just saw a man reading a bible in a public place and I approached him.
Take your bible everywhere, and those with an interest in God will approach you.
Over time, you will see that you get the same questions over and over again.
Write down the questions, and your answers, so your replies become automatic.
The questions you can't answer should be the subject of your prayers.

For instance...What do you say to those who say..."Nobody's perfect"?
Or..."Christians are some of the worst people I know"?
Keep praying and studying, and I will keep you in my prayers.
Pray for me too.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Given the realities of our culture you may wish to redirect your efforts to public spaces like the park. Randomly knocking on doors is hit or miss and many are unwilling to open their doors to strangers.

Have you considered nursing homes? Most residents would enjoy your company and welcome the discussion.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Jesus sent people out in two's. Paul often mentions where he ministers with others. I would have to say it is a tough go alone, except in situations where you already have a connection, family, work, someone approaching you as someone already suggested here. You might consider checking out mission organizations in your church or some mission groups that are non-denominational like Youth with MIssion (many are not youth). Many churches (though it seems fewer than years past) have a soul winning team, that might go out together once a week or so. Lastly, be sure to pray, ask for wisdom and guidance etc. before you witness. I would guess the person who prays two hours and witnesses one hour will be more fruitful than the person who prays 10 minutes and witnesses nearly 3 hours. This is not a scientific ratio, but let the Lord lead you on how much to pray, where to witness, different approaches etc. Be uplifted though in your willingness. I thank God you have the boldness to talk to strangers.
Proverbs 11:30 (KJV)
30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,083,516.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I could be wrong, but it seems your motive for wanting to evangelize has a lot to do with wanting socialization, rather than sharing the Gospel. First, I personally don't think we are to randomly go around witnessing to others. The Savior told us NOT to cast our pearls before the swine or to give what is holy to the "dogs."

You must remember that He said only a few would take the straight and narrow path to Heaven. Worse, He said that some are demon seed planted by the devil. The Father doesn't want you wasting your time on people who will never be saved, and will turn on you, as Messiah said.

IF the Holy Spirit leads you to witness to anyone, great, go for it. But always ask His guidance first. If HE is in it, sooner or later there will be good things to come.

i pray you will be guided by the Holy Spirit and not just do shotgun witnessing. In the meantime I also pray for you to be led to freedom from your depression. With freedom from depression you would come across as more credible and have a testimony to share.

Upvote 0

here2helpyou

Nov 29, 2018
jupiter
✟16,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your honesty about being depressed. Looking to seek professional help can be a good source of information and understanding. Have you considered a Christian counselor? I've found encouragement and help from pastors, mentors and counselors. Also, consider getting into the Word daily for a renewal of your mind. Also, here is a great page of resources for understanding and dealing with depression... Looking Up From The Stubborn Darkness | A Listly List

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

God bless you for your efforts. But the door-to-door approach is most likely bound to fail. People don't like that. You could, however, look into opportunities where they have a choice about coming to you, such as a booth or table at a fair, etc..

Reactions: Kate30
Upvote 0