London Mayor Sadiq Khan calls for knife control

Logic Over Emotionalism

2 boys & 2 girls (new baby girl born 12/1/18)
Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a crackdown on knives Sunday in response to the rising levels of violence in London, which recently surpassed New York City's homicide rate for the first time.

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," Khan tweeted. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

In Britain, it is currently illegal to carry a knife longer than three inches in public "without good reason" and illegally carrying a knife can be punished with up to four years in prison and an "unlimited fine."

Self-defense is not listed among the examples of "good reasons to carry a knife."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328002

It turns out that when you pass laws disarming people in an attempt to prevent violence, criminals who habitually disregard all laws don't make exceptions for the new rules. In London, crime still thrives despite the U.K.'s tight gun controls and the British political class is now desperately turning its attention to restricting knives.

A flurry of recent headlines reveal that London now has a higher murder rate than New York City, a metropolis of nearly identical population and one long considered more vulnerable to crime. "London police investigated more murders than their New York counterparts did over the last two months," Reuters reported earlier this month. "In the latest bloodshed, a 17-year-old girl died on Monday after she was found with gunshot wounds in Tottenham, north London, a day after a man was fatally stabbed in south London."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com/archives/2018/04/24/londoners-embrace-knife-control/amp

For more on this law go to:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Last edited:

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mockery from gun enthusiasts in 3...2...1...
If the shoe fits. If you read the articles they have strict gun laws and it has not stopped the violence. Now they are trying knife laws and fail to stop criminals who do not obey laws.

Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where will it end? I guess I'd be in trouble if I lived in London. I just measured the knife I carry and it's 3 1/8" long. I always thought it was kind of small. On the job I carried a 22" machete every day for 25 years in town and out. In London I guess I'd be a desperate criminal. I will say in all those years I never once felt threatened by a dog. And never once did I harm anything (except an awful lot of plant life). Also I carry a flashlight, magnet, tape measure, lighter and sometimes a handgun.

Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced a crackdown on knives Sunday in response to the rising levels of violence in London, which recently surpassed New York City's homicide rate for the first time.

"No excuses: there is never a reason to carry a knife," Khan tweeted. "Anyone who does will be caught, and they will feel the full force of the law."

In Britain, it is currently illegal to carry a knife longer than three inches in public "without good reason" and illegally carrying a knife can be punished with up to four years in prison and an "unlimited fine."

Self-defense is not listed among the examples of "good reasons to carry a knife."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/500328002

It turns out that when you pass laws disarming people in an attempt to prevent violence, criminals who habitually disregard all laws don't make exceptions for the new rules. In London, crime still thrives despite the U.K.'s tight gun controls and the British political class is now desperately turning its attention to restricting knives.

A flurry of recent headlines reveal that London now has a higher murder rate than New York City, a metropolis of nearly identical population and one long considered more vulnerable to crime. "London police investigated more murders than their New York counterparts did over the last two months," Reuters reported earlier this month. "In the latest bloodshed, a 17-year-old girl died on Monday after she was found with gunshot wounds in Tottenham, north London, a day after a man was fatally stabbed in south London."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com/archives/2018/04/24/londoners-embrace-knife-control/amp

For more on this law go to:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives
Lead article is from April. Any updates?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mockery from gun enthusiasts in 3...2...1...
And they have cause to do so in my opinion. This article is from April. Other articles back then also said the mayor successfully put in place controls of mail order acid solutions. As that seems to be a favorite type of attack by criminal elements as well.

I remember seeing a British sociologist on one of the news programs ensure the public that these attacks (both acid and stabbing) were mainly carried out by gangs and criminal elements and not terrorists. I’m sure that was comforting for the public.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lead article is from April. Any updates?

Here is an article from today which includes a report from the Ministry Of Justice that was released a couple of days ago:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.br...15/govt-restrict-knife-sales-blade-crime/amp/

And this one goes more in to the UK failure from Aug 28:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.na...ns-control-laws-curb-self-defense-rights/amp/

Another good article:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...nsive-weapons-bill-to-tackle-serious-violence

• Informative
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
This is cherrypicking statistics. The UK's murder rate is 4 times lower than the US, despite the high number of murders in London vs. New York. New York is relatively safe (perhaps due to gun control laws?), but other cities do not compare favorably.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
This anti knife law is an attack on those of the Sikh religion.

I doubt it since England has alot of Sikhs and usually their knives aren't even sharp, they are ceremonial only.

They are more worried about hoodlums and gangs carrying around large chef's knives.

Upvote 0

ItIsFinished!

Jesus Christ is our only hope.
Sep 1, 2018
Middletown
✟52,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Guns and knives are not the problem.
The heart and mind of man are the problems.
Until those two are transformed crime will continue to increase and blood will continue to spill.
There are thousands of ways to murder someone and criminals do not care about bans anyway.
Chicago has some of the most restricted gun laws and some of the most murders.

The only true hope anyone has is Jesus Christ.
But you cannot make anyone accept the free gift of salvation from Jesus Christ.
No one can make them new creatures in Christ, but we can share the love of Christ.

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Whether it's guns or knives as said above the actual problem is people. Specifically those who're determined or inclined to harm others. Yes, we should have common sense laws to screen for people who're high risk (ex: violent history, mental illness etc.) and ensure the young who lack maturity aren't sold deadly weapons. But such laws should much as possible have a distinction for law abiding citizens, who aren't a high risk to themselves or others and have non-violent intentions to own weapons (ex: self-defense, hunting etc.)

Some cases these would-be weapons are tools for common use in kitchens, restaurants, hobbyist's basements etc. Seems to me there must be a point where the line is drawn to not disarm non-criminals with broad laws, yet to have pin-point steps taken against the actual criminals. I think a campaign educating the general population would be more effective for most than strict laws (ex: gun and knife safety, self-defense, environment awareness etc.). Then actual laws and enforcement should be concentrated on identifying violent criminal elements (ex: gangs etc.) and doing something about them.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Logic Over Emotionalism

Jun 14, 2018
Rio Oso
✟19,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is cherrypicking statistics. The UK's murder rate is 4 times lower than the US, despite the high number of murders in London vs. New York. New York is relatively safe (perhaps due to gun control laws?), but other cities do not compare favorably.

London has some the toughest gun control laws in the world. They have prohibited handguns, semi-automatic and pump-action non-rim-fire rifles. Yet the violence is still higher then NYC where you can still purchase a firearm.

Actually New York is not relatively safe from the article below:

"Warring gangs have driven New York’s murder rate to an 8 percent spike through the first half of the year, authorities said Tuesday.

The city saw 147 murders through the end of June, an increase of 11 from the 136 notched to the same point in 2017.

Rape reports have spiked by 33.2 percent in 2018 — from 678 last year to 903 this year"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/07/10/nycs-murder-rate-rises-due-to-gang-violence/amp/

NYC compared to other large cities in the US:

http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/public_safety/crime-selectcities.htm

According to the article below we can see that TX with it's very relaxed gun laws is much safer then Buffalo, NY.

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/highest-murder-rates-us-cities-list/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,249,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
London has some the toughest gun control laws in the world. They have prohibited handguns, semi-automatic and pump-action non-rim-fire rifles. Yet the violence is still higher then NYC where you can still purchase a firearm.

NYC has alot of gun control. They don't let just anybody have a gun there.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0