Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm reading Dr. Jordan Cooper's work The Great Divide: a Lutheran Evaluation of Reformed Theology and Dr. Cooper argues that Calvinism is logical but not biblical. Reformed Christians believe God created all things including logic, revelation may be a mystery but never illogical, because the laws of logic are immutable. The example given is double predestination, Lutherans believe God predestines to faith and therefore salvation but not to damnation, but admits the Calvinist is logically correct because not being predestined is in fact, reprobation. If you're not predestination to salvation then you are logically condemned for your sins without hope of salvation.

This is more of a biblical philosophy questions but how do Lutherans understand the laws of logic? Are they immutable? Are the laws of logic superseded when it comes to biblical interpretation on the issue of salvation?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The thing I appreciate about Lutheranism is it embraces the mysterious (that which is beyond man’s comprehension). Therefore our lack of understanding doesn’t necessarily invoke illogic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The thing I appreciate about Lutheranism is it embraces the mysterious (what is beyond man’s comprehension). Therefore our lack of understanding doesn’t necessarily invoke illogic.

Well said. Too often Christians use phrasing akin to saying God doesn't have to be logical. I think that's nonsense. I think everything God does is logical. Whether we can comprehend it is a different matter.

Logic must always proceed from an assumption. It is a common misconception to think what is logical must be true. Logical conclusions can be false if they stem from a false premise.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟402,118.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is a time and place for logic and reasoning, particularly with exegesis, but Scriptures should not be dominated by logic. There are many great mysteries in Scriptures that we simply can't grasp, but we know them to be true, because God has revealed it to us, and so we know them to be true through faith, which is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Case in point: Zwingli claimed that what is finite cannot contain what is infinite. This philosophical presupposition is erroneous because in Christ Jesus the fullness of the deity dwells bodily. We can't know scientifically how, but we believe it, because that is the mystery God has revealed to us. God is greater than math. What seems like a logical impossibility to us, is not an impossibility to God.

Upvote 0