• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Living with bipolar daughter

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Im new here. I need help. My 19yr old just was diagnosed w/ bi polar disorder. I need to know how to live w/ her. She sees a counselor. Shes not really on any meds. PRN benedril. Just got the name of a paychiatrist. She fell to pieces this spring. She lost her scholarship. Downgraded jobs in an effort to cope w/ working. Beats herself to a pulp Over everyday mistakes. Haveing impossible time creatIng boundries with her 4 siblings of which shes youngest. When triggered she retreats to her room and actually beats on herself wishing she were dead. Says she cant do it anymore. Or has outbursts where Im target since Im the onlyone in household. IDK what to do. I work her through things telling her not to believe the lies in her mind. I could use help and advice.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My 19yr old just was diagnosed w/ bi polar disorder. I need to know how to live w/ her. She sees a counselor. Shes not really on any meds. PRN benedril. Just got the name of a paychiatrist.

benedril is an anthistamine medication so chase your doctor.
Keep a diary of all her outbursts.
bipolar means swinging from depression to manic behaviour so again moniter this.
I think you need to talk to who ever diagnossed her and find out what treatment he recomends.

Do talk to your daughter, does she understand what is happening?
Talk to your other children to ensure they also understand.
At this time of year I sorry to say if she becomes really manic you may have to call the emergency services.
Unfortunetly medication is often needed to treat bi polar so please be prepared to call for help.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Im new here. I need help. My 19yr old just was diagnosed w/ bi polar disorder. I need to know how to live w/ her. She sees a counselor. Shes not really on any meds. PRN benedril. Just got the name of a paychiatrist. She fell to pieces this spring. She lost her scholarship. Downgraded jobs in an effort to cope w/ working. Beats herself to a pulp Over everyday mistakes. Haveing impossible time creatIng boundries with her 4 siblings of which shes youngest. When triggered she retreats to her room and actually beats on herself wishing she were dead. Says she cant do it anymore. Or has outbursts where Im target since Im the onlyone in household. IDK what to do. I work her through things telling her not to believe the lies in her mind. I could use help and advice.
The thing she needs most from you is your patience and understanding. If she is still managing to work part time, she is doing REALLY well. When I fell apart at 19, not only did I drop out of school, and try to kill myself, but I couldn't hold down a job.

Patience is the name of the game, because the answers are going to take time. Time to find the right medication to deal with the biochemistry (I'm sure you realize this is a medical problem, not an emotional one -- you are not a bad mom or anything). Time for psychotherapy skills to be learned. And time for her to grow older (certain mental disorders get better as we mature -- I'm 56 now, and finally feel like I have things together).

Things you can to do help her:
1. Look for genuine reasons to compliment her. Don't give her phony compliments -- she'll know. Her depression is lying to her, tearing her down every opportunity it gets. She needs to know she is okay, or doing a good job, or special to you, or whatever.

2. Limit the stress around her as much as possible. Being around fighting and cluttered disorganized places are going to be especially draining on her during this time. I know you can't be in control of what other people do, so if someone else in the home is a jerk, there's no helping that. But whatever you can do will help. Try to keep things as structured as possible. Laundry is always on Monday. Dinner is always at 5:30. Etc.

3. Unless she's the sort of person that dislikes hugs and kisses, give them to her whenever appropriate, when you leave, when you get home. Rub her back or shoulder when you sit next to her. Look for reasons to give appropriate touch.

4. Look for things you can do together. Maybe its a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone on Saturday afternoon. Maybe it's getting mani's and pedi's together. My mom and I used to always watch Murder She Wrote every Sunday night like clockwork -- you always knew I would be out of my room at that time.

5. Help her remember the things she once enjoyed, because right now they may hold less joy for her -- depression kills pleasure. For example, if she likes reading fantasy stories, take her to the local Barnes and Noble and look at fantasy stories together. Don't feel betrayed if she starts it but doesn't finish it.

6. Sign up for some kind of exercise class together -- it's easier to follow through if done with a group, especially if someone one knows is in the group. Sometimes physical exertion is just too much when one is depressed -- try Yoga or Tai Chi. Even if you can just get her to stroll slowly under the green trees in a park, that would be marvelous. The more you can keep her moving, the less depressed she will feel. But realize that this will be the most difficult thing in the world for her, so if she fights you on it, remember that you are her cheerleader, not taskmaster.

7. Look for ways to bring beauty and spirituality into her life. Do you grow flowers in your yard? Pick a few, and put them in a vase by her bed. Find music that will click as "inspirational" for her, whether it is New Age stuff by Yani, Gregorian Chant, or the Allegretto from Beethoven's Symphony #7, but make it something transcendent. Take a painting class together. Walk on the beach at sunset. Visit a different strikingly beautiful church each month, even if you have to drive to get there, one so transcendent that you feel like you have to whisper inside. If you are Christian, realize that God is going to feel far, far away during depression -- don't expect her faith to be secure, and God understands. But try to support what faith she has -- encourage her to attend church and its socials. Pray with her. Talk about Bible stories and what they mean to you both.

8. And most of all, don't stop taking care of yourself. If you fall apart, how can you be there for her? Spend time in prayer, don't overload, go out and be with friends, pamper yourself with bubble baths or whatever it is you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
She had checked herself into a treatment center last summer before starting school. Thank you for your advice. It matches up with what she tells me gives her security. Its actually a long story. I met her mom 20 yrs ago, and we started a relationship. Every other mnth her mother would have these “outbursts” and irrational emotional days. Turns out she was bi polar. Because of it we were on off for 14yrs, then we married. About this time we were starting to learn about it. Her cycles also slowed to six mnth high, six mnth low. But I mistook them some how and while in a manic phase 2014 she O D’ed. I found her body the next day. It was so out of character. She had never used drugs. What hurt was we were makeing progress in understanding and I missed the cues. There is so much more to this story. Her mom was near genius at times and set up some great small businesses out of thin air. Then shed spend two mnths in bed. So there is a history. 2001 I was diag w/ a rare bone marrow disorder had a stemcell transplant and then a heart and kidney transplant. Due to meds I suffered severe nerve damage to legs and feet. Been a long trip. Didnt know if I was up for this. I will be reaching out regularly for help. God Bless.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
She had checked herself into a treatment center last summer before starting school. Thank you for your advice. It matches up with what she tells me gives her security. Its actually a long story. I met her mom 20 yrs ago, and we started a relationship. Every other mnth her mother would have these “outbursts” and irrational emotional days. Turns out she was bi polar. Because of it we were on off for 14yrs, then we married. About this time we were starting to learn about it. Her cycles also slowed to six mnth high, six mnth low. But I mistook them some how and while in a manic phase 2014 she O D’ed. I found her body the next day. It was so out of character. She had never used drugs. What hurt was we were makeing progress in understanding and I missed the cues. There is so much more to this story. Her mom was near genius at times and set up some great small businesses out of thin air. Then shed spend two mnths in bed. So there is a history. 2001 I was diag w/ a rare bone marrow disorder had a stemcell transplant and then a heart and kidney transplant. Due to meds I suffered severe nerve damage to legs and feet. Been a long trip. Didnt know if I was up for this. I will be reaching out regularly for help. God Bless.
Wow. You know, it rains in every life, but some folks live in Seattle. Hang in there.

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Im starting to wonder if a major part of this situation is her inability to express herself as an individual. As the youngest she has always felf her feelings werent valid so she squashed them. Now as a young adult shes afraid to establish boundaries. And she needs to allow herself permission to feel and express anger. PSTD also. Yes manic to dpressive but the depressive seems to have two sources. When she feels her boundries have been crossed shes afraid to have the confrontation to establish them and feels guilty for feeling “violated” ( I hate useingvthat term) but gets angry at herself for not standing up for herself. Then depression. She also feels irrational responsability for everyone elses problems. This is going to take alot of work. I just feel so much better haveing a place to get this stuff out where folks understand. I know it will allbe fine but its going to be a long trip.

Upvote 0

Ovlov90

Dec 7, 2017
Napanoch
✟12,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The thing she needs most from you is your patience and understanding. If she is still managing to work part time, she is doing REALLY well. When I fell apart at 19, not only did I drop out of school, and try to kill myself, but I couldn't hold down a job.

Patience is the name of the game, because the answers are going to take time. Time to find the right medication to deal with the biochemistry (I'm sure you realize this is a medical problem, not an emotional one -- you are not a bad mom or anything). Time for psychotherapy skills to be learned. And time for her to grow older (certain mental disorders get better as we mature -- I'm 56 now, and finally feel like I have things together).

Things you can to do help her:
1. Look for genuine reasons to compliment her. Don't give her phony compliments -- she'll know. Her depression is lying to her, tearing her down every opportunity it gets. She needs to know she is okay, or doing a good job, or special to you, or whatever.

2. Limit the stress around her as much as possible. Being around fighting and cluttered disorganized places are going to be especially draining on her during this time. I know you can't be in control of what other people do, so if someone else in the home is a jerk, there's no helping that. But whatever you can do will help. Try to keep things as structured as possible. Laundry is always on Monday. Dinner is always at 5:30. Etc.

3. Unless she's the sort of person that dislikes hugs and kisses, give them to her whenever appropriate, when you leave, when you get home. Rub her back or shoulder when you sit next to her. Look for reasons to give appropriate touch.

4. Look for things you can do together. Maybe its a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone on Saturday afternoon. Maybe it's getting mani's and pedi's together. My mom and I used to always watch Murder She Wrote every Sunday night like clockwork -- you always knew I would be out of my room at that time.

5. Help her remember the things she once enjoyed, because right now they may hold less joy for her -- depression kills pleasure. For example, if she likes reading fantasy stories, take her to the local Barnes and Noble and look at fantasy stories together. Don't feel betrayed if she starts it but doesn't finish it.

6. Sign up for some kind of exercise class together -- it's easier to follow through if done with a group, especially if someone one knows is in the group. Sometimes physical exertion is just too much when one is depressed -- try Yoga or Tai Chi. Even if you can just get her to stroll slowly under the green trees in a park, that would be marvelous. The more you can keep her moving, the less depressed she will feel. But realize that this will be the most difficult thing in the world for her, so if she fights you on it, remember that you are her cheerleader, not taskmaster.

7. Look for ways to bring beauty and spirituality into her life. Do you grow flowers in your yard? Pick a few, and put them in a vase by her bed. Find music that will click as "inspirational" for her, whether it is New Age stuff by Yani, Gregorian Chant, or the Allegretto from Beethoven's Symphony #7, but make it something transcendent. Take a painting class together. Walk on the beach at sunset. Visit a different strikingly beautiful church each month, even if you have to drive to get there, one so transcendent that you feel like you have to whisper inside. If you are Christian, realize that God is going to feel far, far away during depression -- don't expect her faith to be secure, and God understands. But try to support what faith she has -- encourage her to attend church and its socials. Pray with her. Talk about Bible stories and what they mean to you both.

8. And most of all, don't stop taking care of yourself. If you fall apart, how can you be there for her? Spend time in prayer, don't overload, go out and be with friends, pamper yourself with bubble baths or whatever it is you do.
Thank you so much for your reply! Yes Im chrrently trying to impement alot of these things into our life. These are things she learned during her last hosp. stay but has not done. Untill now. Simple things. Like switching jobs from a chaotic bakery with no job description to McDonalds were responsabilities are cut and dry. Daily routines where meals are eaten at the table together instead of whenever and wherever in front of t.v. Predicablity. Im even trying to meet her definition of a “clean” house. If Im proactive it takes away her feeling guilty if I procrastinate on my responsabilities. And just listening. Sometimes that goes second by second when shes has episodes where shes sitting on her bed beating herself up saying it would all go away if she just killed herself, triggered by the “chaos” of an impromptu visit by my grand kids. Its the unpredictability of those visits and “invasion” of space that stress her to the point of breakdown. I count the seconds a I try to rationalize her through the irrational thoughts in her mind. Countering them as lies and feelings triggered by events from the past that are no longer relevant. These breakdowns are different depending on wether shes manic or on the depressed side of the mood rollercoaster. One thing that helps is shes super self aware and keeps several journals and has read up on bipolar and PSTD. I could be wrong but I think the PSTD could ne “unlearned” with routine and secure boundries being established so she sees that shes not responsable for others situations and behaviors and much more. IDK how to express it all. Past events have nothing to do with today? But easeing that would maybe lessen depression over feeling helpless and not in control and inability to express herself. Please keep posting. God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums