✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
(BTW, I think Matt had a great answer.)

I DO understand the part about looking like a fool. I did it publicly on FB too many times (not all the details but enough to open conversations with various kind monks and priests - who then got some level of the details). It is difficult to feel foolish over and over and over. I often told myself I'd just shut up and stop asking, but the situation pressured me too much to let it go.

It is hard to get a reply from someone you contact "blind", and there are those who won't speak via messages to those they haven't met, or are just too busy.

I don't know if this can help at all. If you have a SF and he doesn't know anyone, I'm even less sure. But a certain degree of "networking" helped me. What I'm thinking is that perhaps the priest monks at many places might know elders/abbots who could help, but who might be less "famous". Not only that, but just maybe if you talk to them, they can sympathize with your problem and kind of put in a word with someone who might help?

Forgive me please if I'm out of line for saying that. I just don't like to think of you struggling for so long with a problem. Surely God is able to help.

Either way, you do have my prayers.

Again thank you for your prayers and for sharing your experiences.

My SF has suggested that I visit a monastery which is about 3 hours from where I live, which is an Elder Ephraim monastery. However, I have written and called this monastery several times asking for permission to come visit during the day one weekend, since it is a small monastery, but I never received a response from anyone. My SF even wax curious as to why no one ever responded.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again thank you for your prayers and for sharing your experiences.

My SF has suggested that I visit a monastery which is about 3 hours from where I live, which is an Elder Ephraim monastery. However, I have written and called this monastery several times asking for permission to come visit during the day one weekend, since it is a small monastery, but I never received a response from anyone. My SF even wax curious as to why no one ever responded.
That does sound odd.

Ah well, fwiw you will remain in my prayers. I sincerely hope you find the answers you need.

It's very kind of you to consider your wife's situation as well in this. I'm always sorry to hear of the little walls that get built - but I know some people have heard bad things about Elder Ephraim's monasteries. If I ever get to visit, it will likely be one of his, as that is what closest to me (still 5 hours or so from here).

God be with you and have mercy on you!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I understand the difference. The problem was that the trip was a big deal with my current parish priest. He does not allow his spiritual children to visit Elder Ephraim's monasteries. My wife likes this parish (it's the only one in the area that serves liturgy in English entirely) and so I didn't want to cause problems that may have made it necessary for us to attend a different parish.

Perhaps I shouldn't have cared since I had the blessing of my SF but I didn't think it would be beneficial to create tensions and hurt my wife's spiritual growth.

ah gotcha. are there any other monasteries near you that are not Ephraimite?

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
ah gotcha. are there any other monasteries near you that are not Ephraimite?

There is a very small women's monastery in the state, but as far as men's monasteries are concerned the next closest is the Hermitage of the Holy Cross in West Virginia (which is about a 7 hour drive from where I live).

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
would it be cool to go to the women's monastery? I can personally say that Holy Cross is amazing. I was blessed to stop there on my way back to Campbell when I was stationed there

One of our parishioners, well former now, is a monk at Holy Cross in West Virginia and another is getting ready to be tonsured to the small schema this week at Transfiguration monastery in PA. Those are the only two monasteries my parish priest really recommends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Never mind. I see its in the Greek diocese.The monastery in Hiram was OCA when I was there. It's ROCOR now. Father Alexander and Father Andrew (I think that's what he's called now, although he was brother David when I was there) have moved to the Ukraine.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
yah, St. Gregory Palamas is one of the few non-Elder Ephraim monasteries in GOARCH. I've been there twice and thought it was a wonderful experience. It's basically like Mt. Athos in terms of how they serve, but in English, in the middle of nowhere Ohio.

Reactions: Ioustinos
Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
yah, St. Gregory Palamas is one of the few non-Elder Ephraim monasteries in GOARCH. I've been there twice and thought it was a wonderful experience. It's basically like Mt. Athos in terms of how they serve, but in English, in the middle of nowhere Ohio.

I was not aware of this monastery. Ohio is about a 9 hour drive though.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One of our parishioners, well former now, is a monk at Holy Cross in West Virginia and another is getting ready to be tonsured to the small schema this week at Transfiguration monastery in PA. Those are the only two monasteries my parish priest really recommends.

I love Holy Transfig. it is one of my favorite monasteries in the US.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi my bro! :) Also there is Fr. Zacharias the abbot of Essex Monastery in England:
St John the Baptist, the Orthodox Monastery, Tolleshunt Knights, Essex, England

The address is:

The Old Rectory, Rectory Road,

Tolleshunt Knights, By Maldon,

Essex CM9 8EZ, United Kingdom

Tel.: (+44) (0) 1621 816 471

to get there from LONDON

1. go to Liverpool Street Station (you can get there by UNDERGROUND)

2. get a train to WITHAM

3. get a taxi to the monastery of Saint John the Baptist (say Tolleshunt Knights if the taxi driver does not know the monastery)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe you mean Archimandrite Kyrillos? (who is a Greek-Aussie BTW)

I know only the abbot Fr. Zacharias. I don't know Fr. Kyrillos. But all the Fathers of Essex Monastery are good Fathers!!! It's a good monastery! :)

Reactions: Ioustinos
Upvote 0