Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a follow-up to my previous thread about being "Blessed and highly favored."
It has to do with the flip side of the issue and how they are related. Jesus said:
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” - John 16:33

On one side of the coin, we are blessed and highly favored; on the other side we will have trouble. We need to keep these seemingly conflicting ideas in balance.

We may see the troubles we face as "evidence" that we are NOT blessed and highly favored, thus missing the opportunity afforded us by the inevitable challenges (trouble) we will face. The opportunity to "take heart" and overcome them.

While we should strive to live as blessed and highly favored, we must also understand and face the challenges that come our way, knowing that they have not come to supplant our position of being blessed and highly favored, but rather to test and confirm such.

So, let's discuss this business of living as overcomers. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
We may see the troubles we face as "evidence" that we are NOT blessed and highly favored, thus missing the opportunity afforded us by the inevitable challenges (trouble) we will face.
Some years ago, I faced this exact dichotomy of blessing and suffering. My wife who has severe asthma, had stopped breathing one day while on our way to the ER. Her lungs got 'stuck' to the point where she could not inhale or exhale. Without getting bogged down by detail, that night, while deep in prayer, I found myself recognizing with new clarity what the Scriptures meant by concepts like in Proverbs 17:3,
The refining pot is for silver and the furnace for gold, But the LORD tests hearts.

I am firmly convinced by the Scriptures that God is in control of everything and uses everything for the good of His people. And so, I was deeply comforted by a sense of the good that would come about if our good God had decided to take my wife in death, and the good which will come through our endurance of suffering, in general.

It is this good purpose of God which moved the Apostles to tell us things like:

James 1:2-4
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

1 Peter 1:6-7
you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in various trials so that the proven character of your faith—more precious than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:5-6
“My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives.”

Hebrews 12:11
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Then there's Jesus' words. For instance:
John 15:1-2
my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If He has overcome the world then we need to walk within the appointing of what He personally achieved for us on the Cross.

This means walking in what He created us to do.

Opposition is promised but is not beyond that which He allows for our growth.

Timing is critical - as Jesus could only do what he saw the Father doing, He would respond to certain needs one day and others the next... according to what He saw.

If we are to be overcomers we need to learn this 'seeing' and obey it.

The overcomers who enter into the blessings of the Kingdom must become as little children. Little children do not 'overthink' matters, they simply believe and trust.

Overcoming has zero to do with prosperity - some elected to stay in jail in order to achieve a better resurrection.

Its putting Him first in everything - seeking the better best that blesses others.

Not being afraid to put Him in control - taking the back seat... after all He knows much more about driving the car.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'A life of overcoming,a life of ceaseless praise. Be this your
blessed portion,throughout the coming days. The victory was purchased on Calvary's tree for thee. Sin shall not have dominion for He has set you free' (F H Allen)

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'And would you know the secret of constant victory? Let in the Overcomer and He will conquer Thee! Your broken spirit taken in sweet captivity,shall glory in His triumph and share His victory' (Freda Hanbury Allen)

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'Though all the path before you,the host of darkness fill,look to your Father's promise and claim the victory still Faith sees the heavenly legions,where doubt sees naught but foes and through the very conflict her life the stronger grows' (F H Allen)

• Winner
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'More stern will grow the conflict as nears our King's return and they alone can face it,who this great lessen learn,that from them God asks nothing,but to unlatch the door,admitting Him,who from them,will conquer evermore'. (F H Allen)

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'Forward be our watchword,steps and voices joined,seek the things before us,not a look behind. Burns the fiery pillar at our army's head. Who shall dream of shrinking,by our Captain led. Forward through the desert,through the toil and fight,Caanan lies before us,Zion beams with light' (H Alford)

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We will only know victory,as we overcome! We will only overcome,as we are enabled by God! Through the power of the abiding life of Christ and His precious Blood. By the power of the Word of God working in our lives through the Holy Spirit. 'Victory! Blessed blood bought victory,in the name of Jesus!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Over ten years ago, with the help of God, I managed to overcome a drinking problem and went on to do great things which I never dreamed were possible.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Over ten years ago, with the help of God, I managed to overcome a drinking problem and went on to do great things which I never dreamed were possible.
That's great! An overcomer through the grace of God!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'By the Word of the Lord',we are made overcomers! By the Word of the Lord we are able to stand! He liveth for ever and He reigneth eternal. By the Word of the Lord,we've life for evermore!' (From Australia possibly,to the tune of 'Annie's Song')

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.