Realityville
Visit site
✟14,135.00
Faith
Pagan
Profit Margins and Mortality Rates

By Joanne Mariner, FindLaw.com
November 26, 2003

Here are some numbers to consider: 14 million, 35.9 billion, and 1.

The first is an estimate of the number of people who will die of AIDS and other treatable diseases over the course of the coming year, most of them in the poor countries of the developing world.

The second figure represents the combined 2002 profits, in dollars, of the 10 biggest pharmaceutical companies listed in Fortune magazine's annual review of America's largest businesses.

The third figure corresponds to the number of countries that, last week, voted against a U.N. resolution on access to drugs in global epidemics such as HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria. The resolution emphasized that the failure to deliver life-saving drugs to millions of people who are living with HIV/AIDS constitutes a global health emergency. One hundred sixty seven countries voted in favor of the resolution. The single vote against it was cast by the United States.

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17281
One has to wonder why the US consistently votes against these sorts of resolutions. The same sort of thing happened with the Land Mine treaty. The worlds largest supplier of Land Mines was one of the few who voted against banning them.

One has further to wonder about the Bush claims to want to promote the welfare of the worlds "poor and downtrodden" if it consistently votes against resolutions that actually will help them. Money first... people if it's politically convenient.

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Before condemning our 'No' vote, I'd need to see some cost-benefit analysis of the costs of r&d and the costs of production. The article certainly didn't take a measured tone, since you could practically see the sneer on the author's face as he spit out the words 'patent protections.'

Prima facie, it looks our heightened patent protections provide the economic incentives that enable these retrovirals to be created in the first place. The author's failure to address what should be a glaringly obvious point, plus his needlessly demagogic tone, make me sceptical of his conclusion.

Upvote 0

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
I could understand the emphasis placed on profits and costs and everything else if we were talking about cars, or cell phones, or computers. But we are talking about human lives! As long as there is anyone at any of these companies making 6 or 7 figure salaries, I find it completely dispicable that they will use money to avoid saving innocent people's lives.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It doesn't matter where the research takes place; what matters is that the money for research is derived from the artificialy heightened prices that are maintained from patent controls.

About the size of the profits: of course they're making profits - that's why they're making these drugs. Presumably the argument you'd want to make would be that their profits are large enough so that it wouldn't substantially alter their bottom line enough to cut R&D if we were to carve out a region (Africa) that would be exempt from patent laws, so that they could produce their own generics.

Assuming for argument that the presupposition of that argument is true (allowing companies to produce generics for sale to Africa wouldn't materially impact the pharm. corps' R&D allocations), I wonder if there might be a concern about smuggling? Plenty of these African countries are run by sketch-o despots; I could easily see a smuggling business fomenting. That's still kind of weak though; I think the primary objection is the $ and R&D objection.

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Havoc, you make some excellent points........

<he slowly mounts the soapbox>

........pharmaceutical manufacturers, insurance companies, sneaker companies, banks, utility companies.......

when did all of these businesses loose sight of their purpose. They forgot some time ago to make drugs to save lives. They forgot that human beings count on them, the insurers, to pay for medical procedures, catastrophic losses as well as the care of loved ones left behind. They forgot that their business is to make shoes!!! How about supplying fuel for heat in the winter!!!!

It has been completely corrupted by profits and egos. What business does a bank have in naming a sports complex? Why aren't they raising savings interest rates instead? Just how much financial compensation for being a CEO is enough? The madness to show a profit at human expense to increase the price of shares???? When the focus shifted from making a quality product for a consumer, or supplying electricity to a homeowner, or paying off a claim to someone suffering a loss, to profits, profits and more profits (real or imagined) so their greedy pockets can be lined with threads made of gold, that's when we lost our faith in not only capitalism, but in what America could be. In these days we are consumed with the events that are happening dealing with our security from an external threat, while an enemy of a different color threatens us daily with job loss, pay cuts and increased cost of living.

<panting and out of breath, he steps down off of the platform>

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! Makes me wanna plotz!!!

Upvote 0

chetti

purveyor of hope
Nov 25, 2003
✟8,125.00
Faith
Atheist
i like the story about how bayer made a drug in the 80's for hemophiliacs that gave people aids. it was banned by the surgeon general but for some reason we alllowed it to be exported to europe so they wouldnt see a tiny part of there profits go to waste.

this is from the New York Times:
"The medicine, called Factor VIII concentrate, essentially provides the missing ingredient
without which hemophiliacs' blood cannot clot. By injecting themselves with it,
hemophiliacs can stop bleeding or prevent bleeds from starting; some use it as many as
three times a week. It has helped hemophiliacs lead normal lives.
But in the early years of the AIDS epidemic, it became a killer. The medicine was made
using pools of plasma from 10,000 or more donors, and since there was still no screening
test for the AIDS virus, it carried a high risk of passing along the disease; even a tiny
number of H.I.V.-positive donors could contaminate an entire pool.
In the United States, AIDS was passed on to thousands of hemophiliacs, many of whom
died, in one of the worst drug-related medical disasters in history. While admitting no
wrongdoing, Bayer and three other companies that made the concentrate have paid
hemophiliacs about $600 million to settle more than 15 years of lawsuits accusing them
of making a dangerous product."...
"Federal regulators helped keep the overseas sales out of the public eye, the documents
indicate. In May of 1985, believing that the companies had broken a voluntary agreement
to withdraw the old medicine from the market, the Food and Drug Administration's
regulator of blood products, Dr. Harry M. Meyer Jr., summoned officials of the
companies to a meeting and ordered them to comply. "It was unacceptable for them to
ship that material overseas," he said later in legal papers.
Even so, Dr. Meyer asked that the issue be "quietly solved without alerting the Congress,
the medical community and the public," according to Cutter's account of the 1985
meeting. Dr. Meyer said later that he could not recall making that statement, but another
blood-product company's summary of the meeting also noted that the F.D.A. wanted the
matter settled "quickly and quietly." Dr. Meyer died in 2001."...
"When a Hong Kong distributor in late 1984 expressed an interest in the new product, the
records show, Cutter asked the distributor to "use up stocks" of the old medicine before
switching to its "safer, better" product. Several months later, as hemophiliacs in Hong
Kong began testing positive for H.I.V., some local doctors questioned whether Cutter was
dumping "AIDS tainted" medicine into less-developed countries.
Still, Cutter assured the distributor that the unheated product posed "no severe hazard"
and was the "same fine product we have supplied for years."
Li Wei-chun said her son, who died in 1996 at the age of 23, was one of the hemophiliacs
in Hong Kong who got AIDS after using that product. "They did not care about the lives
in Asia," Ms. Li said in a recent interview. "It was racial discrimination.""

http://www.hemophilia-litigation.com/pdf/20030522_NYTimes_Blood_Factor.pdf

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums