Lives of the Saints book recommendation?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(Note: Posting this in St. Basil’s in The Ancient Way because I am interested in the lives of the Eastern Orthodox Saints at this time, meaning no disrespect to Saints recognized by other churches, but looking for information about Eastern Orthodoxy)

Thank you in advance again for any responses and for bearing with my frequent questions...

Can anyone recommend a good book that tells of the lives of the Eastern Orthodox Saints?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've found the best reading in those books that were dedicated to a particular Saint, which I know is long. Or else someone like St. Irene Chrysovalantou that you can read a lot about online.

I have read a few books that have many Saints (generally obscure ones) so only a page or so for each, and to be honest such a short treatment is not enough for me. They begin to blur after reading a couple dozen and no one stands out, nor their circumstances. Maybe that's just me though. And I'm not saying there aren't good books out there - I just haven't run across them. I'd very much like to myself, so I'm hoping you get good suggestions. :)

The closest I have seen was "Everyday Saints" but then it is not about canonized Saints. It was very edifying in its own way. But I think not what you're asking about.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
(Note: Posting this in St. Basil’s in The Ancient Way because I am interested in the lives of the Eastern Orthodox Saints at this time, meaning no disrespect to Saints recognized by other churches, but looking for information about Eastern Orthodoxy)

Thank you in advance again for any responses and for bearing with my frequent questions...

Can anyone recommend a good book that tells of the lives of the Eastern Orthodox Saints?
I'll be watching the thread curiously as well. I do not have a book recommendation.

My daily point of reference is the chapel on the Greek Archdiocese website (linked here).
There's a brief overview for one or more of the saints each day. For in-depth, more, I generally websearch.. :/

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We do have a book or two in the parish library I haven't checked in detail. I think they are the sort that tries to catalogue all the Saints we commemorate, so rather like the Daily Reading entries, but I'll look again and let you know if I see anything better.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've found the best reading in those books that were dedicated to a particular Saint, which I know is long. Or else someone like St. Irene Chrysovalantou that you can read a lot about online.

I have read a few books that have many Saints (generally obscure ones) so only a page or so for each, and to be honest such a short treatment is not enough for me. They begin to blur after reading a couple dozen and no one stands out, nor their circumstances. Maybe that's just me though. And I'm not saying there aren't good books out there - I just haven't run across them. I'd very much like to myself, so I'm hoping you get good suggestions. :)

The closest I have seen was "Everyday Saints" but then it is not about canonized Saints. It was very edifying in its own way. But I think not what you're asking about.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am looking for a book about the lives of the canonized Saints.
I'll be watching the thread curiously as well. I do not have a book recommendation.

My daily point of reference is the chapel on the Greek Archdiocese website (linked here).
There's a brief overview for one or more of the saints each day. For in-depth, more, I generally websearch.. :/

Thank you for your response. I also use that website (or the corresponding Daily Readings app) as a point of reference. In fact, it was this that made me curious about a more in depth look at the Saints’ lives. The brief daily overview just whetted my appetite...

We do have a book or two in the parish library I haven't checked in detail. I think they are the sort that tries to catalogue all the Saints we commemorate, so rather like the Daily Reading entries, but I'll look again and let you know if I see anything better.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

The Prologue of Ohrid is a good one

Thank you, Father. I will look into it.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A single book can hardly enumerate all the Orthodox Saints, much less include a few details about their lives. Having said that there's a 12 volume set published by Chrysostom Press, but it's rather expensive. They have a selection which is freely available here.

• Informative
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A single book can hardly enumerate all the Orthodox Saints, much less include a few details about their lives. Having said that there's a 12 volume set published by Chrysostom Press, but it's rather expensive. They have a selection which is freely available here.
Thank you very much. No, I suppose it would be too voluminous for a single book, given 2000 years of history, but even if it could, I suppose I would never get through it all. Still, the Saints are very interesting. Thank you for the links.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
another resource I have utilized is on Orthodox wiki; a listing of patron Saints.
I presume it is not exhaustive but it's a starting point if that is the angle being researched.

Thank you. That is helpful.

There are 4 volumes of Orthodox Saints of the British Isles offered on Amazon in paperback or Kindle. I haven't read them, but I'm very interested in the British Saints so I'm going to order 1 or 2 and see if they're good.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/511oyS0xGhL.jpg

Thank you. I lived in the British Isles for a few years, and my father, despite being a Presbyterian minister, had a great interest in St. Columba of Iona, and also in St. Aidan who founded a monastery on the Holy Island Of Lindisfarne (which we visited to see the Lindisfarne Gospels, when I was a child), so the British Saints are of interest to me, also.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,733.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reading 'Acquisition of the Holy Spirit' by St Seraphim of Sarov is really an eye-opener.
Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW!

Thanks for the reminder! I finally got access to a copy, which I've wanted for years. I should be reading it instead of waiting.

Upvote 0

Truth>Fear

Apr 1, 2018
Eagle River
✟15,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Prologue of Ohrid is a good one

I found the "Prologue of Ohrid" to be very unhelpful. I was also searching for a great book on the lives of the saint and so I bought this one. Turns out its just filled with more fantastical stories and random distractions that take away from the real stories. The saints are great, but once the authors start adding made up bits to embellish the stories or make some theological point, IM OUT. Definitely would not recommend it.... I ended up selling the books on eBay.

Upvote 0