hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure someone has asked this before, but... live streaming communion? Is that Biblical?

I was taught that when we take communion Jesus is spiritually present with us at that time, but how would that work if we're all in our own homes? I mean, He is omnipresent but shouldn't there at least be two or three gathered together? I'm not clear on that topic.

Secondly, there is no way to regulate how people take communion and the Scriptures are clear that it is to be done in reverence, not to be treated as a meal and not served to unbelievers. So how can we possibly keep track of what people do in their own homes while watching on Facebook, YouTube, etc.

Have some theology to dispense? :D

agapelove

May 1, 2020
San Diego
✟50,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Should it matter where you are or if you are alone?

Jesus tells us he is with us always, Matthew 28:20 I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

I do not see communion as a summoning of Jesus' presence, but rather as a reminder that he is always present in our lives.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I offered to do this together with folks from CF but there was not enough interest.

I think you can be 'gathered together' without being face to face.

This is a very special moment - from time to time I partake alone - aware of the cloud of witnesses.

While it is a solemn and serious aspect of fellowship I don't believe one has to be 'of the cloth' to officiate.

Household heads in particular should consider partaking with family at this time.

Like many aspects of Christianity tradition has over regulated matters that should be freely given and freely received.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm sure someone has asked this before, but... live streaming communion? Is that Biblical?

I was taught that when we take communion Jesus is spiritually present with us at that time, but how would that work if we're all in our own homes? I mean, He is omnipresent but shouldn't there at least be two or three gathered together? I'm not clear on that topic.

Secondly, there is no way to regulate how people take communion and the Scriptures are clear that it is to be done in reverence, not to be treated as a meal and not served to unbelievers. So how can we possibly keep track of what people do in their own homes while watching on Facebook, YouTube, etc.

Have some theology to dispense? :D
It doesn't work for Catholics, this virtual communion thingie.

But then again we have long had something called a 'spiritual communion'.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It depends largely upon one's denomination. If we are speaking of one that thinks the Lord's Supper is nothing but a gesture, then I suppose you could just get your own wine or juice and some bread and go through the motions.

For the majority of Christians, whether Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, etc., who believe the Lord's Supper to be a sacrament, it requires an authorized minister to consecrate the b & w and distribute them to the people. In answer to your question then, no minister, no Holy Communion.

You can't.

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Non-theological thoughts-

I believe that believers are connected with each other in the Spirit regardless of physical proximity.
See 1 Corinthians 5:3 and Colossians 2:5.

As far as keeping track
So how can we possibly keep track of what people do in their own homes while watching on Facebook, YouTube, etc.
How do you keep track of what people are doing in their hearts while appearing holy during the communion service at church? Hearts are what God is keeping track of whether in church or at home.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I believe that believers are connected with each other in the Spirit regardless of physical proximity.
I think we all agree to that. But the topic here is Holy Communion.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see an issue. The pastor doesn't have to personally touch every piece of bread. Our church has a balcony. Christ is present with the elements there just as much as those on the first floor.

People at home in a virtual service are part of the congregation. There's no reason to think that Christ is any less present with them or the elements in their house than if they are present in the church building.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
People at home in a virtual service are part of the congregation. There's no reason to think that Christ is any less present with them or the elements in their house than if they are present in the church building.
That's not really the issue, though. We've all essentially agreed already that, yes, Christ is present with his people IN SOME SENSE.

But when the subject concerns the sacrament that he made special and gave instructions about its extraordinary meaning,..

"He's with his followers wherever they may be" doesn't really address or answer the question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
That's not really the issue, though. We've all essentially agreed already that, yes, Christ is present with his people IN SOME SENSE.

But when the subject concerns the sacrament that he made special and gave instructions about its extraordinary meaning,..

"He's with his followers wherever they may be" doesn't really address or answer the question.
His presence in communion is special. My point is that there's no distance limit that I know of for a congregation that is celebrating communion. Frankly I have qualms about Buzz Aldrin's communion on the moon, not because of the distance, but because as far as I know he wasn't part of the communion service. But in our virtual communion services that is not a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My church has explicitly ruled that consecration cannot take place over the internet. (So, the priest can't say the words, with people having their own bread and wine at home, and that bread and wine becomes validly "communion" which they can then receive). A valid Eucharist involves more than that, including a gathering of the people to celebrate it together.

What I have found, though, is that in this time my congregation craves their "normal" worship. And that means they want to hear the prayers of the Eucharist said. So I am recording Eucharistic services for them to watch (our church's internet is so poor that livestreaming doesn't work). I am, admittedly, a bit uncomfortable about that - not least because one parishioner has expressed the view that what we're doing is providing a means of adoration of the sacrament, which is not an Anglican practice - but am trying to square it away intellectually by seeing it as me leading the viewers in an act of spiritual communion.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, certainly the four-fold action of the Eucharist (taking, blessing, breaking and giving the bread, and the same for the wine except the breaking) are seen as integral and necessary to the sacrament.

But as I said, it's not just that. It's also things like a gathered community to celebrate. We do not consider a virtual gathering to be adequate.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I checked on the Methodists. Nordic and Baltic areas have authorized it. I'm unclear about the whole US, but the Western North Carolina Conference has temporarily authorized it. The ELCA recommends against it, but I found one ELCA church doing it. The PCUSA allows it. It appears that the Disciples of Christ do as well. I see at least one UCC church doing it. Some CRC churches seem to be doing it. I haven't found a general answer for the RCA, but I found one church offering it.

Incidentally, in our church it will not be the pastor alone. There are several people present in the church for our virtual services, 6 feet apart. I would assume that for communion at least one would be an elder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't work for Catholics, this virtual communion thingie.

I would say it doesn't work for my church either.

For the majority of Christians, whether Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican, Lutheran, etc., who believe the Lord's Supper to be a sacrament, it requires an authorized minister to consecrate the b & w and distribute them to the people. In answer to your question then, no minister, no Holy Communion.

Exactly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

But for Catholics, there is value in watching, even if not taking, Communion.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,160.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who has made it special? Jesus or us?

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It depends largely upon one's denomination. If we are speaking of one that thinks the Lord's Supper is nothing but a gesture, then I suppose you could just get your own wine or juice and some bread and go through the motions.

You can't.
It just bugs me the thought that someone could just literally grab their beer and pretzels and use that for communion... I don't know. Something is lost in the holiness aspect.

Obviously we can't know what people are doing in their homes, but then if I was a minister leading communion as the shepherd of the flock, I think I would have serious doubts about it. Would waiting until the church is open again really be so terrible?

Upvote 0

Messerve

Sep 30, 2018
hjkhjkh
✟25,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

As far as keeping track

How do you keep track of what people are doing in their hearts while appearing holy during the communion service at church? Hearts are what God is keeping track of whether in church or at home.
Well, I can't speak for everyone, but in my particular congregation leaving before communion happens fairly often if certain individuals don't feel like they are in a worshipful mindset at that moment. So I'm sure some do take communion who shouldn't have, but it isn't really taboo to forgo it either.

Upvote 0