UCF
✟9,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all. I am currently a college student and am looking for a way to grow closer to God and try to discern what God is calling me to do in my life. I was wondering if you would recommend getting this as it is expensive. Does anyone currently pray it and if so would you mind saying what it has done for you and if you would recommend it? Thanks and God bless!

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
You can get a condensed version that is just as fulfilling. It's just one thick red book. I don't know what to search for otherwise I'd give you a site where you could buy one. Sure, the full version is like $200 or something, but the condensed one is like... $50.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Liturgy of the Hours or Divine Office is the official set of daily prayers prescribed by the Roman Catholic Church to be recited at the canonical hours by the clergy, religious orders, and laity. The Liturgy of the Hours consists primarily of psalms supplemented by hymns and readings. Together with the Mass, it constitutes the official public prayer life of the Church. Upon ordination to any of the Holy Orders, the daily recitation of the Liturgy of the Hours becomes a canonical obligation. The Liturgy of the Hours also forms the basis of prayer within Christian monasticism.

The Liturgy of the Hours, along with the Eucharist, has formed part of the Roman Catholic Church's public worship from the earliest times. Christians of both Eastern and Western traditions (including the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Anglican churches) celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours under various names. Within Roman Catholicism, the Liturgy of the Hours is contained within the Roman Breviary. In Greek the corresponding services are found in the Ὡρολόγιον (Horologion), meaning Book of Hours. Within Anglicanism, the Liturgy of the Hours is contained within the book of Daily Prayer of Common Worship and Book of Common Prayer. Other names for the Liturgy of the Hours within the Latin Rite include the Divine Office, the Diurnal and Nocturnal Office, Ecclesiastical Office, Cursus ecclesiasticus, or simply cursus.

:angel:

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hello all. I am currently a college student and am looking for a way to grow closer to God and try to discern what God is calling me to do in my life. I was wondering if you would recommend getting this as it is expensive. Does anyone currently pray it and if so would you mind saying what it has done for you and if you would recommend it? Thanks and God bless!

I don't have the books, but my friend does.. she really likes it :thumbsup: I attend Vespers sometimes during the week, where we do the evening portion of the Liturgy of the Hours of course... I've found it's really good, I personally like it a lot. (Especially when it is chanted, like how my group does it - btw, I pray it with other university students :))
If you want to look into it more, you can check out this website it doesn't have everything but it has Vespers.. http://www.liturgyhours.org/

if you can't afford all the books (they're expensive for sure!!) see if you'd like the condensed version...

God bless

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Visit www.e-benedictine.com

They have text versions of morning, evening, and night prayer every day, along with reflections and readings from the Rule of Benedict, Mass readings, etc.

There's a Cistercian monastery in Clyde, MO that has live video of their praying the Liturgy of the Hours, I believe, and there are probably some other monasteries that do so, too. Only the contemplative orders pray seven times a day--most have a modified schedule because the monks and nuns may be teaching, or nursing, or farming, or baking, etc.

Of course you can read through the hours much more quickly than if you follow along with the chant, if you're pressed for time.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I first started doing the breviary before daily Mass with the rest of the parish.

Find out if anyone at your parish says it daily and join in, that way you can find out what inserts you may need and how to work the ribbons to keep track and if its something you want to continue with before buying it. I keep a copy of the Angelous and other things in mine.

Where I learned to follow the "Prayer of the Church" there were many spare copies to use if you didn't have your own.

When I finally bought my own copy of the short version I think it cost me $30 but there has been a lot of inflation since then.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Part of the Rule of Life for Secular Order Discalced Carmelites is to pray the Liturgy of the Hours, morning and evening prayer.

So, my wife and myself have been praying the LOTH's for many years now.

We started off with the single volume, "Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours," by Catholic Publishing, and for morning and evening prayer, this is good. In fact, during our monthly meeting, this volume follows right along with the 4 volume set, for Sundays.

Last year, we finally purchased the 4 Volume Set of the Liturgy of the Hours.

The 4 Volume Set is more complete for the Office of the Readings, but it can be a little more tricky to follow than the single volume, especially if you're not experienced in praying the LOTH. Also, most people don't have the time for more than the Morning and Evening Prayer, so the single volume is better suited, and much less expensive, about $30. My four volume set cost $120.

Keep in mind, that this edition is a 4 week cycle. That is, the the Psalms are prayed through in 4 weeks. If you visit a Benedictine Monastery, you'll see that they follow a 2 week cycle, and their using their own translations of the Psalms, so your Breviary won't work out all that well if you try to use it when visiting there.

In all, praying the Liturgy of the Hours is very rewarding, and all Catholics should learn how to do it and pray it daily.

Jim

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,343.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Praying the daily office is indeed a blessing.

Google it. You can often times find these types of books used and in great condition at bargain prices. Also talk to your Priest, he may be able to help you out. You will be surprised what you can find. "Seek and ye shall find"!

Pax Domini,

Mark

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.