AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
Oooh, liturgical colors, one of my favorite topics, after vestments & paraments!

The answer, of course, is "It depends!" - in true Anglican fashion! To generalize, the more "high church" , the more liturgical colors you'll see.

Green is traditional for Ordinary Times, it's the color of growth.

White and gold are sometimes used for Christmas Eve or Christmas day, Easter Day, as well as weddings, baptisms, and various Holy Days. They symbolize purity and joy.

Violet is traditional for Lent and Advent. It symbolizes the sovereignty of Christ and repentence from sin. Of course, some churches have chosen to use grey or light brown during Lent, instead.

Red is for Pentecost, it symbolizes blood and fire. It is also often used during Holy Week (last week of Lent).

Black, symbolizing death, is sometimes used for funerals (sometimes white is used, instead) and on Good Friday.

Blue is often used to honor the Virgin Mary. You'll sometimes see blue used during Advent.

Rose Pink is sometimes used on the 3rd Sunday of Advent, to honor the Virgin Mary, and sometimes on other Marian days.

You'll see green, white, red, and violet just about everywhere, some parishes will add in rose/pink and gold.

Additionally, white is traditional for commemorating saints who died of natural causes, while red is used for those who were martyred.
Hope I haven't confused you!

Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
In the Anglican Church (C of E) blue is also used as the colour for Lay Readers (they have a blue reader's scarf which looks a bit like a stole but isn't). I think this has to do with the fact that blue is not one of our traditional liturgical colours (like violet/purple, red, green and white) and so the readers can be distinguished from the priests ...

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bonifatius said:
In the Anglican Church (C of E) blue is also used as the colour for Lay Readers (they have a blue reader's scarf which looks a bit like a stole but isn't). I think this has to do with the fact that blue is not one of our traditional liturgical colours (like violet/purple, red, green and white) and so the readers can be distinguished from the priests ...
Are readers are distiguished by their walking to the lectern at the proper time;)

Upvote 0

Rick of Wessex

Alive and kicking!
Mar 18, 2004
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
✟16,572.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear sisters and brothers, thanks for the answers!

I noticed also an interesting similarity between Orhtodox and Anglican liturgical colors: Orthodox priests also wear blue on the Feasts of the Mother of God. That's interesting. ;)

Rick

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Benedictine, you are correct; white and gold are indeed interchangable.

Rick of Wessex, as a liturgical Church, we Anglicans hold to nearly all the same Traditions as you Eastern Orthodox. In fact, relations between our Churches have actually been, historically, better and brighter than the relation between us and the Vatican Catholics. We have many Eastern Orthodox elements in our Anglican Church due to those good relations (and they've been there for quite some time), and we even honor 1 or 2 Eastern Orthodox Saints in our list of canonized Saints (I hope we add more!).

Reactions: benedictine
Upvote 0

Bonifatius

Sep 1, 2004
Germany
✟15,898.00
Faith
Anglican
RobNJ said:
Are readers are distiguished by their walking to the lectern at the proper time;)
So are ours ;)
Maybe I should explain that the term "Lay Reader" in the C of E denotes not a person who reads lessons during Mass but an episcopally licensed lay preacher who is allowed to lead services of the word and to preach publicly.

Greetz
Bonifatius

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wigglesworth said:
For this season of Advent, one of my local churches is violet while another is blue. Does this say anything about their theology, or whether they are more high church vs. low church, or is it just the priest's preference?
Ours is a deep blueish purple. Now I am wondering what would the difference be?

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
An additional color has come into use for Holy Week, beginning with the Palm Sunday liturgy and concluding with the Good Friday Liturgy (or in some churches the early service [not vigil] on Holy Saturday.

Many striking vestments/paraments/banners in the color of oxblood...a deep, bricky kind of red. (very different from the red used at Pentecost)

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wigglesworth said:
For this season of Advent, one of my local churches is violet while another is blue. Does this say anything about their theology, or whether they are more high church vs. low church, or is it just the priest's preference?

Hopefully NOT JUST the priest! ;)

Advent's other historic color is blue - coming from the Sarum Rite from early England. Those who call Advent a "mini-Lent" do not like the use of blue - as they see the season in a more penitential light.

Many who use blue reject the penitential label, instead favoring the feelings of expectation and hope - perhaps best embodied in the Virgin Mary. Blue is Mary’s color.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Bonifatius said:
So are ours ;)
Maybe I should explain that the term "Lay Reader" in the C of E denotes not a person who reads lessons during Mass but an episcopally licensed lay preacher who is allowed to lead services of the word and to preach publicly.

Greetz
Bonifatius
All:

You've just about proved an historical truth. In the history of the Church, almost every color and variation of those colors has been used at one time or another. I'd never heard of pink for Marian days, however. Usually, that is for the 3d Sunday in Advent and the 4th in Lent. Here's another question: What are the official colors (as opposed to what is used with no one objecting)?

I think that would be red, white, green, and violet. See if you can find an answer in the church's documents.

Anyway, about Lay Readers. They can say Morning and Evening Prayer and deliver a homily but supposedly only a pre-determined one, nothing of their own creation.

Upvote 0

Polycarp1

Born-again Liberal Episcopalian
Sep 4, 2003
USA
✟25,875.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You need to add one: black or unclad (of altar, pulpit, etc., not of vestments! :eek: ) for Good Friday.

Violet is the color of penitence and expectation, hence used for Lent and Advent. But a deep royal blue is also appropriate for Advent, celebrating the two comings of the King. Pink is not official but often used for the two "relief" Sundays -- 3 Advent and 4 Lent, IIRC, when seasonal discipline may be relieved.

White is used throughout the Twelve Days of Christmas, Triniy Sunday, throughout the Easter Season, and on feasts of non-martyr saints. Red is used at Pentecost and on feasts of martyrs. Epiphany Season and the Season After Pentecost (After Trinity Sunday in England) are the "green seasons."

Some churches have two sets of white linens and vestments, one with gold embroidery/lining used for Easter and principal feasts, and one without, used for "ordinary white Sundays and lesser feast days."

The use of blue for Feasts of St. Mary is very much unofficial but practiced in many higher churches. Note that if a church uses blue for both Advent and feasts of our Lady, they are not the same blue -- Advent should be a darker, royal blue; Our Lady's color is a paler, sky or robin's-egg blue.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Polycarp1 said:
... Pink is not official but often used ...
... blue for Feasts of St. Mary is very much unofficial ...

What makes a colour "official?" Does ECUSA have canon law on the colours of paraments? Are there rubrics in the 1979?

My understanding was that the use of coloured paraments is adiaphoric, and the specific colours are simply a matter of consensus.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
pmcleanj said:
What makes a colour "official?" Does ECUSA have canon law on the colours of paraments? Are there rubrics in the 1979?

My understanding was that the use of coloured paraments is adiaphoric, and the specific colours are simply a matter of consensus.
I'm SURE there's no cannon law on the colours.....now as for the COLORS;).. nothing I've seen in the '79 BCP..as far as I know, it's just tradition..if I'm wrong on that, rest assured someone will be more than happy to correct me:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.