Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jesus tells His Apostles to not become like the Pharisees who are hypocritical and self-righteous. They think He's talking about real bread, though, so He uses sarcasm (eyes to see, ears to hear) to tell them they're mistaken. He refers back to other miracles He's made, which point to the Eucharist, which the Apostles ought to become since they are called as Jews to imitate God.

Upvote 0

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We can use those verses to teach our children not to associate with people who are involved in drinking, smoking, dancing, cursing, bad places. However, today there are 235 Protestant denominations in America, so they can be compared to the Pharisees and Sadducees.

I assume that the Protestants are the modern day leaven (FALSE DOCTRINE) that are corrupting our children and marriages? What do you think?

Maybe the Protestants see it as the Catholic Church being the Pharisees? I have heard the Church called the Pharisees quite a few times. Plus, the Church has a lot of law like the Pharisees.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi there.

I've been reading todays scripture readings from my missal and I can't seem to get my head around the gospel passage.

It's annoying me. lol. Can anyone explain it to me ?

The passage is Mark 8:14-21

Many thanks in advance. :)
i see it as a focus on the "leaven" like a little yeast changes all of the bread, it is in part a call to purity, to stay away from even a touch of the false teachings of these groups, how even a little sin changes the entire person
We can use those verses to teach our children not to associate with people who are involved in drinking, smoking, dancing, cursing, bad places. However, today there are 235 Protestant denominations in America, so they can be compared to the Pharisees and Sadducees.

I assume that the Protestants are the modern day leaven (FALSE DOCTRINE) that are corrupting our children and marriages? What do you think?

Maybe the Protestants see it as the Catholic Church being the Pharisees? I have heard the Church called the Pharisees quite a few times. Plus, the Church has a lot of law like the Pharisees.
i think christians use the term "pharisees" way to lightly when talking about other christians, we should act with humility and compassion, remember St.Paul called himself the chief of sinners.
as for the Catholic Church being called Pharisees because of all the rules, both Catholics and Protestants in america have such a warped and twisted view of the law, in the OT the patriarches THANKED God for His law, they found joy in His law because the Most High, the Lord of Hosts, the Lord God took time to give His people instruction, and true happiness can only be found in doing what is good, sin leads to pain and spiritual death, so we should be thankful that God has used the Church to show us the path to Him, if a parent had no rules for a small child we would say that is a horrible parent, are we not suposed to trust in God like a small child trusts a good parent?

Upvote 0