• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Literary Blackface.

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Goonie, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,584
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    You realize you already asked that and I already answered, right?

2. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,964
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    You responded. But it wasnt an answer.

Is Emma fiction? Come on.

3. Ana the Ist

+7,584
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    What answer were you hoping for? I haven't read Emma.

Explain yourself. You're the one making the claim here.

4. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,964
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    If I have to explain how a black family experience re social status and marriage in an 18th c English village will be really different from a white one.... well, as interesting as this case might be, I can see this will be too much work to be worth it.

5. flicka

flicka Contributor Supporter

+577
    Agnostic
    Private
    A swing and a miss B&N

6. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+7,669
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    You don't understand, or pretend not to understand, the difference between fantasy novels and characters (e.g. James Bond) and novels portraying real world situations and characters (e.g. Emma). Now, that is either surprising ignorance on the part of an educated individual, or cynical rhetoric on the part of someone abusing their education. (Have you stopped beating your wife?)

7. Ana the Ist

+7,584
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I see....your claim remains unsubstantiated and therefore dismissed.

8. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+18,058
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yeah, I don't understand how this is different.

9. Rubiks

Rubiks proud libtard

+2,182
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Changing someone's skin color isn't the same as blackface. Blackface has pitch black skin tone, big, vibrant red lips, and white gloves. Now, Blackface doesn't have to have all of these features, but it's clear those book covers have none of the distinctive features.

Either way, it's a lazy way to promote racial equality.

10. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,529
    Atheist
    Single
    It has been done and it resulted in lots of people deciding the author was racist despite several other novels that made that charge a bit absurd.

11. Ignatius the Kiwi

Ignatius the Kiwi Newbie

+2,436
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I don't know what to think about it. It feels like a cynical attempt to get black people interested in these works, but once they discover the characters within the stories are actually white, won't they feel cheated?

Reminds me of JK Rowling artificially making Hermoine a black character retroactively. Doesn't work and comes off as progressive pandering.

12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,964
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    I noticed with Moby Dick they made Ahab black.... but they kept the white whale!

13. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,529
    Atheist
    Single
    So stupid since there were already black and other significant non-white characters, Ishmael's best friend ship in particular.

14. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,503
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Well calling people racist without any actual verifiable evidence has become quite popular. In some cases one need only quote a fact and one will be labelled a racist.

15. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,503
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    That seems racist to me. Between the two Ahab is the less sympathetic character.

16. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+8,964
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    Not to mention the whale is so awesome he sinks the whole ship.