Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Books pulled over 'literary blackface' accusations
_110795697_diverseeditions_bookcovers_gallery_credit_tbwa_chiat_daynewyork.jpg

Oh dear, someone clearly was not thinking how this would look. I wonder whether they did 'Gone with the Wind'?

Last edited:

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
An interesting thought just occurred to me as a result of the OP. Most people know of the book by Alex Haley titled Roots.

Suppose when they made the movie the casting would have shown the opposite. All the slaves were white and the owners were black?

It would certainly put the expression walk a mile in someone else's shoes to the test.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,141,165.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
An interesting thought just occurred to me as a result of the OP. Most people know of the book by Alex Haley titled Roots.

Suppose when they made the movie the casting would have shown the opposite. All the slaves were white and the owners were black?

It would certainly put the expression walk a mile in someone else's shoes to the test.
Something tells me it would not have gone down well....

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That would make it something other than Roots then wouldn't it. The story you propose could definitely be done as long as no one tried to pawn it off on someone as Roots.

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That would make it something other than Roots then wouldn't it. The story you propose could definitely be done as long as no one tried to pawn it off on someone as Roots.
It would fictionalize the story for sure and good fiction does challenge our thoughts about life. Case in point Orwell's novels.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I think the covers are kind of cool, but I certainly agree with the main criticism that it's shallow (literally skin deep). "Many said that the company should do more to promote black authors rather than simply changing the skin colour of characters on the front cover."

Celebrating Black History Month with Shakespeare and Shelley is not really the point.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,271.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I seem to recall a movie based on this very premise. It was not a historical movie but rather an alternate reality type of film.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How do you switch an old time fictional character from white to black while the text makes no mention of it and the character walks though the world as if they were white?

Has there ever been a time when a black person's experience in society is so identical to a white person's that a fictional treatment could be believably color-blind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Who would be walking in whose shoes if such a movie were made?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How do you switch an old time fictional character from white to black while the text makes no mention of it and the character walks though the world as if they were white?

Has there ever been a time when a black person's experience in society is so identical to a white person's that a fictional treatment could be believably color-blind?
Of course! Plenty of movies with black stars could have just as easily have been made with white stars filling those roles, and visa versa.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

I'm not sure what you're saying here...

There's been plenty of suggestions about making this or that fictional white character "black" without meaningfully changing the narrative at all. From James Bond to....well here's a list...

Black Actors Who Played White Characters

So it's been done....with praise.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you're saying here...

There's been plenty of suggestions about making this or that fictional white character "black" without meaningfully changing the narrative at all. From James Bond to....well here's a list...

Black Actors Who Played White Characters

So it's been done....with praise.
Wow a lot of fantasy characters there. And James Bond... pretty much fantasy.

But look at a realist novel like "Emma" set in 18th c England and all about marriage, social status, etc set in an English village. Do you really think you could interchangeably plug in a black main character without all those themes having played out radically different?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wow a lot of fantasy characters there. And James Bond... pretty much fantasy.

But look at a realist novel like "Emma" set in 18th c England and all about marriage, social status, etc set in an English village. Do you really think you could interchangeably plug in a black main character without all those themes having played out radically different?

Sorry....Emma isn't a fictional character?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry....Emma isn't a fictional character?
What could have possibly given you the notion that I thought Emma was anything but a fictional character in a realist novel about marriage and social status set in an 18th c English village?

Upvote 0

Dynadin

Mar 11, 2018
Tifton
✟128,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I seem to recall a movie based on this very premise. It was not a historical movie but rather an alternate reality type of film.

I think this is the movie you're thinking about. I think I watched it once, but I don't remember anything at all about it.

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,271.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think this is the movie you're thinking about. I think I watched it once, but I don't remember anything at all about it.

That was it! I don't recall much about it either but I only watched the first 15 minutes or so.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟433,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What could have possibly given you the notion that I thought Emma was anything but a fictional character in a realist novel about marriage and social status set in an 18th c English village?

Well what is the problem then?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟427,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well what is the problem then?

Upvote 0