✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
25 Large crowds were now traveling with Jesus, and He turned and said to them,

26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters— yes, even his own life— he cannot be My disciple.

27 And whoever does not carry his cross and follow Me cannot be My disciple.

33 In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

Do you have to really hate your family, even hate your own life to be a disciple?

What is being stated here and why?

Xenophon

Jul 16, 2020
Smithfield
✟17,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"When we wish to call the passions by a common name, we call them the world. But when we wish to distinguish them by their special names, we call them passions. The passions are the following: love of riches, desire for possessions, bodily pleasure from which comes sexual passion, love of honor which gives rise to envy, lust for power, arrogance and pride of position, the craving to adorn oneself with luxurious clothes and vain ornaments, the itch for human glory which is a source of rancor and resentment, and physical fear. Where these passions cease to be active, there the world is dead…. Someone has said of the Saints that while alive they were dead; for though living in the flesh, they did not live for the flesh. See for which of these passions you are alive. Then you will know how far you are alive to the world, and how far you are dead to it.” -St Isaac the Syrian (7th Century)

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cost of discipleship, following Jesus. Families can be a huge stumbling block in following the will of God. There is price to pay for following Jesus.

13“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. 14“For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

21“Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22“You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

18“Hear then the parable of the sower. 19“When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road. 20“The one on whom seed was sown on the rocky places, this is the man who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21yet he has no firm root in himself, but is only temporary, and when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately he falls away. 22“And the one on whom seed was sown among the thorns, this is the man who hears the word, and the worry of the world and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful. 23“And the one on whom seed was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the word and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty.”

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

26 “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters— yes, even his own life— he cannot be My disciple.

33 In the same way, any one of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be My disciple.

Do you have to really hate your family, even hate your own life to be a disciple?

He's talking about those who would follow Him. It's a comparative language pertaining to the cost of being His disciple. If necessary, you must be willing to walk away from your own family. He's laying out the harsh reality that following Him may require us to endure, even at the hands of our own family.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why do people have such a hard time accepting the word hate in the bible but never have a hard time with love ?

People always take love literally but refuse to accept hate literally.

Does God not say what He means and means what He said ?

Did God mean hate below ?

Proverbs 6:16-19

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:

a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,

feet that are quick to rush into evil,

and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

See the irony ?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It's an issue of priorities. If anything hinders your Christian walk, it needs to go. It may be as innocent as a hobby. Single mothers often have attachments to their child that stop them from serving God. Men have to ensure that their jobs don't hinder their Christian life.

I had vision many years ago. I was talking to God about exactly this issue. I had a bag full of my "treasures", like a boy might have. Penknife, ball, string, magnifying glass etc. - stuff I used to have as a child. The Lord wanted my life. I started taking out an item and handing it over. It was painful. After a while, the Lord said, "Just give me the bag!" So I did.

Most Christians have a "treasure" that they don't want to give up. It could be a relationship, an ambition, money, emotional attachments or even an unforgiveness towards someone. God wants all that we are and all that we have. Once He has delivered us from the hold that something has on us, He can trust us with it again. For example, I play guitar. It used to be an obsession. I gave up for years because I realised that it was a hindrance. The Lord gave it back to me and I play every day. I could put it down and never pick it up again if that was God's will.

Hating your own life is a complex issue and hard to explain in brief. The "life" that Lord Jesus calls us to hate is the soul-life. It is natural, the life we inherited from Adam. It is the life that caused Peter to exhort Jesus to avoid the cross. (Matthew 16:21-23). That life is inferior to the life that Lord Jesus cam to give us. (John 10:10). Our natural inclinations will usually clash with the Spirit. For example, the Bible says that physical discipline of children is essential. Yet how many refuse to smack their kids? Many countries have made it illegal to discipline children. The resulting mess would be comical if it was not so tragic.

Every time we refuse to obey the natural inclination and follow the leading of the Spirit, the natural life gets weaker. This is the work of the cross. Lord Jesus overcame His natural inclination to self preservation. When you are facing a tough decision, and choose God's way instead of the way of self, you win a tremendous victory.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do people have such a hard time accepting the word hate in the bible but never have a hard time with love ?

People always take love literally but refuse to accept hate literally.

Does God not say what He means and means what He said ?

Did God mean hate below ?

Proverbs 6:16-19

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
seven that are detestable to him:

a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,

feet that are quick to rush into evil,

and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

See the irony ?

Ok, cool, how about you, have you given up everything you have?

lets take that fish for instance.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, cool, how about you, have you given up everything you have?

lets take that fish for instance.
I do my best to deny myself daily and follow Him. The flesh is hostile towards God and I submit myself to His will not my will. Do I succeed all the time? no

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I know that in Biblical languages the word sometimes has a meaning of subordination rather than actual hatred. Meaning to put something on a lower pedestal or rung, but not to actually hate it. Right now, I'm having trouble actually finding that meaning in online Lexicons, but I've heard that from multiple sources and have even heard that is true of related Semitic languages like Arabic.

OK found my first example of this. Genesis 29:31. The passage literally says "Jacob hated Leah", and it usually translated in English "Leah was unloved".

Genesis 29:31

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that in Biblical languages the word often has a meaning of subordination rather than actual hatred. Meaning to put something on a lower pedestal or rung, but not to actually hate it. Right now, I'm having trouble actually finding that meaning in online Lexicons, but I've heard that from multiple sources and have even heard that is true of related Semitic languages like Arabic.

OK found my first example of this. Genesis 29:31. The passage literally says "Jacob hated Leah", and it usually translated in English "Leah was unloved".

Genesis 29:31
Why would scripture say if you hate in your heart you are guilty of murder ?

1 John 3:15
Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why would scripture say if you hate in your heart you are guilty of murder ?

Because the Word or related terms have multiple meanings and detesting and reviling is one of them.

Do you honestly think Jesus wants you to literally hate your family?

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because the Word or related terms have multiple meanings and detesting and reviling is one of them.

Do you honestly think Jesus wants you to literally hate your family?
Does Jesus want you to hate sin ?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have to really hate your family
Compared to Jesus . . . how are the people in your family?

And why would you be concerned only about if Jesus says to hate your family? If He said to hate someone in another country, would this bother you? Because if we love genuinely, we love any and all people; so if I am worried about hating only my own family, this could mean they are a love idol for me >

"For if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" (in Matthew 5:46)

So, from this I see how Jesus can be bringing us into sharing with Him personally, by loving any and all people the way He does.

One thing I get is I can have things in my personality which I got from my mother and father . . . things not right, I mean. So, I hate them by getting rid of their selfish personality ways which I picked up from them.

But if they were still here on earth, I could love them, by wanting what is good for them . . . including better than how they might be now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes and I noticed you evaded my question...
I gave the answer when scripture calls hatred in ones heart guilty of murder.

So I guess in your world murder does not stem from hate eh ?

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, there has been a lot of explaining here on what each persons believes and see things by the way of exegesis, and by the spirit.

Thank you all for your detailed and meaningful explanations that each of you have given today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does God hate anyone? The answer is yes.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity."

Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

The sobering fact is that God is so holy and righteous that He hates the sinner (Psalm 5:5; Lev. 20:23; Prov. 6:16-19; Hos. 9:15). Some say that we should say that God only hates the sin but loves the sinner. But, the above scriptures speak contrary to that. But it is also true that He is love (1 John 4:8). It is better to accept the love of God found in Jesus than to reject it and suffer His wrath.carm

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does God hate anyone? The answer is yes.

Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity."

Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

The sobering fact is that God is so holy and righteous that He hates the sinner (Psalm 5:5; Lev. 20:23; Prov. 6:16-19; Hos. 9:15). Some say that we should say that God only hates the sin but loves the sinner. But, the above scriptures speak contrary to that. But it is also true that He is love (1 John 4:8). It is better to accept the love of God found in Jesus than to reject it and suffer His wrath.carm

hope this helps !!!

You like Mr. Matt Slick ay?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You like Mr. Matt Slick ay? I respect Him, and his views that He choices to believe, however I disagree with that entire website completely. God bless, remember that sometimes it is good to think for yourself, rather than let others do the thinking for you.
I've been posting there for 25 years.

Reactions: mlepfitjw
Upvote 0