Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
'OhYeah? SezYou.', is hardly literary criticism. :)

Nor is it what anyone but you said, in an attempt at uh yes, mockery and sarcasm.

on the other hand, pointing out what the actions of a fictional person reveal about the character of the individual being portrayed is quite legit.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
OP date - 24th September 2005, 01:43 PM

WOW!

How many of these ancient threads have been resurrected of late? Most of the OP's in these old threads haven't been around for years.

What's going on?

It is the work of AV1611VET... "The Great Dead Thread Necromancer." (cue scary music)
:wave:

Reactions: TheBear
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Reductio ad absurdum is not necessarily the same thing as mockery and sarcasm - though if beliefs imply ridiculous things, then who's at fault here, the beliefs or the person pointing that out?

< Mmmmm. That 'You made me do this to you' rationale sounds familiar. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
< Mmmmm. That 'You made me do this to you' rationale sounds familiar. :)

Not really, you're just not understanding the concept. But feel free to use the standard Christian appeal of "weh weh weh they're mocking me, therefore I must be right!" It still won't help your case.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

WOW!

How many of these ancient threads have been resurrected of late? Most of the OP's in these old threads haven't been around for years.

What's going on?

The village idiot's been necroing 5-9 year old threads and responding to people who haven't posted in 3-5 years. For some reason people don't check the date of the OP... or who it was that did it... and we're off to the races with more nonsense.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nor is it what anyone but you said, in an attempt at uh yes, mockery and sarcasm.

on the other hand, pointing out what the actions of a fictional person reveal about the character of the individual being portrayed is quite legit.

It's your conclusions that have my head shaking. A God who created people destroys them because they have become totally evil and degenerate. He starts over with a few that have at least some redeeming qualities, and you find fault with this. Do you understand my puzzlement?

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
It's your conclusions that have my head shaking. A God who created people destroys them because they have become totally evil and degenerate. He starts over with a few that have at least some redeeming qualities, and you find fault with this. Do you understand my puzzlement?

Its a very simple childs story that anyone can understand.

You look at it as a real story about real people and a real god.

It is however a work of fiction. I am a bit puzzled how anyone can fail to grasp this extremely obvious fact.

It being a work of fiction is quite open to analysis as such. The 'god' portrayed therein would be profoundly immoral by anything even remotely resembling human standards, for his actions.

What puzzles you about this?

In a lot of novels the point is very much about character development. You did take a lit course?

To an atheist it is puzzling how a goddist can believe in this work of fiction, and then make excuses for the god for its monstrous behaviour.

What is so puzzling to you? that people dont believe your god, the ark story, and find literary analysis entertaining?

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

WOW!

What's going on?
They are resurrected for the benefit of those of us who are new here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its a very simple childs story that anyone can understand.

You look at it as a real story about real people and a real god.

It is however a work of fiction. I am a bit puzzled how anyone can fail to grasp this extremely obvious fact.

It being a work of fiction is quite open to analysis as such. The 'god' portrayed therein would be profoundly immoral by anything even remotely resembling human standards, for his actions.

What puzzles you about this?

In a lot of novels the point is very much about character development. You did take a lit course?

To an atheist it is puzzling how a goddist can believe in this work of fiction, and then make excuses for the god for its monstrous behaviour.

What is so puzzling to you? that people dont believe your god, the ark story, and find literary analysis entertaining?

Thanks Hespera. I think I do understand your position now. :)

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They are resurrected for the benefit of those of us who are new here.

That doesn't even make sense. Any topic can be rehashed by starting a new thread. It's done all the time. How is digging up old threads, where many of the thread participants and OP's haven't been around for years, (and thus, unable to clarify remarks, etc), more beneficial to "those of us who are new here", than just starting a new thread on the subject? Explain that one to me. I'd really like to know.

From where I'm sitting, your reply looks like nothing more than a knee-jerk defense of a like-minded member.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From where I'm sitting, your reply looks like nothing more than a knee-jerk defense of a like-minded member.
Um ... excuse me ... I've necrobumped threads from people still here; so your point can take a hike.

And to prove it -- I'll demonstrate.

QV please: 79

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is the work of AV1611VET... "The Great Dead Thread Necromancer." (cue scary music)
:wave:

The village idiot's been necroing 5-9 year old threads and responding to people who haven't posted in 3-5 years. For some reason people don't check the date of the OP... or who it was that did it... and we're off to the races with more nonsense.

Just as I suspected.

Thanks, guys.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would an ultimate god need 6 whole days to create the universe?

He took six days on purpose, so as to make it a template for the workweek.

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
He took six days on purpose, so as to make it a template for the workweek.

Exodus 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

5 years after you last resurrected this thread, you go and do it again.

I really have to ask: why?

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0