✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Both listening and reading is good.
I don't know what works for you but what works for me, is setting small goals for every day. I have noticed that when I stick to small goal, I end up reading much more. I started with 30min a day and suddenly I realised I had spend 2 hours reading bible. But I won't beat myself if I fail to. I think that would be unhealthy.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Veritas Vos Liberabit
Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟571,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've done both. I usually listened to audio Bible while driving. But personally I find I absorb better while reading. The most important thing I believe is whether by listening or reading, the more Bible you absorb, the more familiar you become with it.

I'll add that I think when it comes to story parts of the Bible, like Genesis, listening is probably just as good as reading. When it comes to teaching parts of the Bible, like Romans, reading is probably better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @PrincessLDG

The new testament is a good place to start, when first the first instance came to me when there was a void in my heart listening to people preach the word on youtube. (around the age of 24-25)

Decided to get a bible and start in the new testament, reading all four gospels Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. To learn about the Lord Jesus Christ because I did not know who he really was, nor what he was really about only heard stories from the pulpit.

Would say it changed my life around, but at first my experience was being babe in christ, still in my flesh and I looked at others and judge them because in my heart it felt right. Though as progressing in reading and finding a someone named (Shawn McCraney, Heart of the Matter on youtube) as a teacher of the word of God.

My experience from judging went to having love for others, mercy for others, praying for others, forgiving others, and it took at least 2-3 years for that to finally start to happen.

From what my teacher taught our flesh doesn't really wanna read the word because... oh its that big ol bible that old raggity thing who wants to read that, but the truth is the spirit inside of us need it so the holy spirit God gives us is built up, and we truly find the definition of what it means to be a Christian walking on this earth.

(I have a short video in my signature link description called Unbeliever; Believer; Forgiveness, Mercy, Renewed), which explains what happens to us as we progress in faith of the word with bible scriptures you can read along with if you pause in between them.

Learn now while you are young!

May the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit and grace be upon you all, amen.

• Winner
Reactions: PrincessLDG
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it bad listening to the Bible and better reading it? I am talking about something like an audiobook. I can read the Bible, but sometimes it can be hard to just sit down and read. I enjoy listening to it though. Also, every day I actually read a daily Bible verse before listening to an audio recording. Am I being lazy? I have a goal to get through all of the Psalms and Proverbs this year.

Depends, do you feel like you're being lazy?
Listening to the Bible is a very good thing. I try to mix the two as much as I can, but reading does make me tired and is more difficult for me being dyslexic.
For something that needs extra time and effort, I will both listen and read Revelation as it is high in symbolism and things yet to understand fully.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is it bad listening to the Bible and better reading it? I am talking about something like an audiobook. I can read the Bible, but sometimes it can be hard to just sit down and read. I enjoy listening to it though. Also, every day I actually read a daily Bible verse before listening to an audio recording. Am I being lazy? I have a goal to get through all of the Psalms and Proverbs this year.

How much of what you read or hear do you retain? How much better do you understand Scripture after you've listened or read your way through the entire Bible?

I'd urge you to STUDY God's word, not just listen to, or read, it. Get a Bible concordance, a Bible lexicon, maybe a couple of different interlinear Bibles, some well-respected commentaries, maybe primers for Hebrew and Greek, and then sit down before God's word to you and really chew on it. There are some good Bible study websites you can use (www.blueletterbible.org, www.biblegateway.com, www.wordsearch.lifeway.com) if you aren't much of a bibliophile.

Why are you going into Scripture? What's your motivation? Your motivation has everything to do with whether or not you'll keep at Scripture and what you'll do with it.

Upvote 0

Religiot

Mar 15, 2020
Private
✟29,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How you consume the word of God, whether by sight or sound, matters not, but that you understand it. Understanding it is required, and only from the Lord; so be at peace, and continue to seek, with patience, and He will give you understanding in all.

PS: The word is kept by doing it, and only then can you know the difference between man made doctrines and the Doctrine of Christ:

"If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." --John 7:17

Godspeed.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Read it, listen to it, and best yet (in my opinion) write it!

They say that writing something down one time is the equivalent to reading it 11 times.

I don't know how they got these numbers or if they are even correct, but one thing I do know is that when I was in Bible school, the number one method for memorizing verses...for like really long-term was writing them down over and over. And, it didn't take all that many times really.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Read it, listen to it, and best yet (in my opinion) write it!

They say that writing something down one time is the equivalent to reading it 11 times.

I don't know how they got these numbers or if they are even correct, but one thing I do know is that when I was in Bible school, the number one method for memorizing verses...for like really long-term was writing them down over and over. And, it didn't take all that many times really.

Have fun!

Yes, very important thing writing notes. Get a big notebook, so you don't end up with many little ones you might lost:sorry: :doh:(like me)

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, very important thing writing notes. Get a big notebook, so you don't end up with many little ones you might lost:sorry: :doh:(like me)

You're an artist so, you have a bit more leeway for being cluttery...

This is what I tell my roommate, "Hey, I'm an artist...I can't think when the place is too clean..."

Ha ha...

• Haha
Reactions: Sunshinee777
Upvote 0

Xarto

Dec 5, 2020
Leinster
✟11,660.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Anyway you can access the Bible is good. The early Christians didn't have a personal bible, they mostly listened to it and most Catholics get their bible fix at mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums