• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Listening to the Bible vs Reading It

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by PrincessLDG, Jan 17, 2021.

1. PrincessLDG

PrincessLDG New Member

+36
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Is it bad listening to the Bible and better reading it? I am talking about something like an audiobook. I can read the Bible, but sometimes it can be hard to just sit down and read. I enjoy listening to it though. Also, every day I actually read a daily Bible verse before listening to an audio recording. Am I being lazy? I have a goal to get through all of the Psalms and Proverbs this year.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. musicalpilgrim

musicalpilgrim pilgrim on the sacred music pathway Angels Team Supporter

+27,951
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Sounds good, I love to listen while working in the kitchen.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Ordinary Mystic

+562
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    For the first 1500 years of the church, the spoken word was all most Christians ever got. Before that time, all Bibles were written out by hand, and were prohibitively expensive. Few people could own one.

I think you should read it too, but by all means listen to it. And the entire Bible can be listned to in about 70 hours. You might want to set your goal a little higher.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  4. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Member Supporter

+41,829
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    I do both @PrincessLDG, as I often get different things from the text when I hear it (perhaps from the inflection of the speaker's voice, etc.). I rarely listen when I am studying a short passage, but having an audio Bible for listening through entire Books, and of course then, through the entire Bible, is a GREAT blessing IMHO :oldthumbsup:

When I listen, I keep pen and paper nearby in case I want to remind myself to go back and look something up later.

God bless you in your study of His word (whether you are reading it or hearing it)!!

--David

Psalm 1
    1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
    Nor stand in the path of sinners,
    Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
    And in His law he meditates day and night.
    3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
    Which yields its fruit in its season
    And its leaf does not wither;
    And in whatever he does, he prospers.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. PrincessLDG

PrincessLDG New Member

+36
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    70 hours? That's interesting! I did not know that.

6. pescador

pescador Newbie Supporter

+2,936
    Christian
    Married
    There is no "better" IMHO. Listening to the Bible will give you a different experience than reading it. They are both valid ways of absorbing the Word of God. I also suggest that you read/listen to different translations as (of course) none of them are in the original languages of Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Ordinary Mystic

+562
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I know, it's shocking! Because the Bible seems like such a big book that is so hard for people to read completely. But it's really not- I read it cover to cover in 40 days one time, reading a couple of hours per day.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. PrincessLDG

PrincessLDG New Member

+36
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I have two translations of the Bible: The KJV and the NIV. Sometimes the King James Version can be tricky to understand due to the old English, so I have the NIV to help me make sense of some things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat For who can resist his will?

+2,764
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Comprehension is the same for listening and reading so no it's not bad to listen to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+2,961
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I'm a big fan of listening too the Bible. The audio function of Bible gateway is great (you can hear the Bible in both NIV or KJV).

I had problems for 5 years being able to upgrade my glasses for reading, because it made my long distance vision worse for driving. So reading was a real chore etc.

But there is so much stuff you can learn from just listening too the bible, especially in the background when you do other tasks, or maybe even play computer games etc. You can learn stuff you would normally not realize, because many things get highlighted, and people often get in the habit of just reading topical proof text verses that they often miss other important ones that give context, or other kind of insight. I actually just posted a thread a few days ago about that, that was originally inspired by something I noticed from listening to the Bible a few years back.

Moses was right the first time (killing the Egyptian)

11. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,496
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Both are good. Also, people have different learning styles, so one might resonate with you better than the other. But God blesses both.

Jesus said of the Holy Spirit,
    "He will teach you all things, and
    bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.
    " John 14:26 NKJV

Further, Scripture-laced praise & worship music is a great way to memorize Bible verses!
    (Maranatha! Singers have many such songs.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,055
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Faith comes by hearing.

For most of history most people HEARD Scripture read to them rather than reading it themselves. You are in good company with most Christians over the centuries who HEARD Scripture but may not have been able to read or had their own Bibles.

13. Sophrosyne

Sophrosyne Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16

+41,835
    Christian
    I've read the Bible a few times and got hooked on a Bible study program on TV and have watched/listened through the bible several times in 27 minute chunks I record on my DVR. I've got to where I listen to the show instead of watch it and I do pick up more and more even the third and fourth times through. I also find reading and participating in discussions/debates over the years has helped me learn more and more. I think that reading and listening and watching even if you could smell and taste scripture are all good ways to absorb God's word.

14. dunricky

dunricky New Member

+18
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    With my schedule I tend to have more time reading at night. Then in the morning on my way to work I like to listen to the same passage I read. I catch things both methods that I didn’t catch in the other. There is nothing wrong with either.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. xaris

xaris Active Member

+247
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It's a tie!

Luke 11:28 (KJV)
    But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Revelation 1:3 (KJV) Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

The important thing is...

Psalm 119:11 (KJV) Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! "All the world's indeed a stage..." Supporter

+1,029
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I am a BIG believer in listening to the Scriptures. I get so much out of it, and absorb so much of God's Word that way.

17. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,049
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    Whatever helps you best with comprehension and retention.

18. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+1,668
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    https://www.koinegreek.com/

:p Koine Greek is not a dead language!

19. elytron

elytron Active Member

+147
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I enjoy listening to the Bible and reading at the same time in sync. For some reason I prefer the NKJV

20. sunshineforJesus

sunshineforJesus is so in love with God CF Ambassadors Supporter

+10,795
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    As long as you are getting the word in,I dont think it matters how you do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List