Listen to David Middleton for a deeper understanding of the Bible.

Roy Taylor

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.
Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Milton Green use to be my favorite but now I like David Middleton's teaching. He goes in depth into the Greek and God has given him a lot of Wisdom. His sermons are long but a lot of knowledge. Warning: If you like lukewarm teaching or like having your ears tickled, you might be offended. Here is a link to his online teachings. Jesus Is Lord Outreach Center

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟577,484.00
Faith
Christian
It is great sermon where I learnt a lot but he should have mentioned that it is still possible for anyone to be saved to be able to keep His commandments. It says if you did not build before when the flood comes you can not stand but actually the flood comes unexpectedly which can be for Christ coming for person to die unexpectedly when one does not have time to repent if person loses his chance if he had all his chances to repent and he was never repenting or if difficulties happen on earth if they do not give themselves chance to consider gospel that is preached they will not know to prepare so they call on the Lord Jesus and are prepared if they are persecuted to persevere to be faithful till death.

If they don’t consider what others preach that will make them unready in persecution to not trust in Jesus and be ready to be persecuted for His sake to be saved. And such is likened to flood which brings unexpected damage because he does not think he will lose his soul by rejecting Jesus and difficult circumstances are like a flood if death is threatened not having more time to consider later because after you die it is too late.

It is possible for anyone alive to repent to do His will and he should clarify the law of liberty to judge is the gospel which sets everyone free who believes that people are all free the moment they believe as long as they repent and are changed in their heart to be merciful as they are shown mercy but that people were only responsible to do what they definitely knew is God will for them that they were shown it is and is required of them and only judged by what they can know now.He should have explained that anyone can be saved as bible says God so loved the world that He gave His Son that whoever believes should not perish but have everlasting life so that anyone can now be saved as Peter says God is not willing for any to perish but that all should come to repentance so that means they are able to.

And Jesus says whoever believes in Me has everlasting life and shall not come into judgement but passed from death to life that is one be saved now to abide in Him which is doing what one knows to do and growing but if one does not continue to do one can die when one does not expect that one is not living to believe to be alive to turn as Jesus says whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. We should have hope for all persons that we want everyone to hear the gospel for God accepts anyone by faith to only require from them whatever they can do which they know and what they can know to do now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
He has a lot of videos that are beneficial. Go to his website listed above to see the videos. We must be doers of the word. Not just forgetful hearers. Many are called. Few are chosen.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many are called. Few are chosen.

Uh oh. Is Middleton of the Reformed camp?

www.soteriology101.com

I listened to about five minutes of the sermon and so many alarm bells were going off that I stopped. I am absolutely on-board with holy living; it is essential to joyful communion with God. I don't recall Middleton making this point, however. He warns of other effects of not living as a doer of the word, but he does not emphasize the ultimate purpose of such living which is rich, deep fellowship with God. Obeying God's word keeps us from being deceived, it keeps us from a life of death-producing sin, it is crucial in spiritual warfare and having an effectual prayer life. But these are not the central purpose of right living, of doing the word. These all tumble out of the work of the Spirit; they are the by-products of his transformation of the believer, aimed first and foremost at creating unhindered communion between the born-again believer and God.

Urging believers to be doers of the word for reasons that aren't thoroughly anchored in the ultimate goal of fellowship with God is a sure way to encourage moralism, legalism (and hypocrisy). I should know: I lived for a very long time under the sort of teaching I just heard from Middleton.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Uh oh. Is Middleton of the Reformed camp?

www.soteriology101.com

I listened to about five minutes of the sermon and so many alarm bells were going off that I stopped. I am absolutely on-board with holy living; it is essential to joyful communion with God. I don't recall Middleton making this point, however. He warns of other effects of not living as a doer of the word, but he does not emphasize the ultimate purpose of such living which is rich, deep fellowship with God. Doing God's word keeps us from being deceived, it keeps us from a life of death-producing sin, it is crucial in spiritual warfare and having an effectual prayer life. But these are not the central purpose of right living, of doing the word. These all tumble out of the work of the Spirit; they are the by-products of his transformation of the believer, aimed first and foremost at creating unhindered communion between the born-again believer and God.

Urging believers to be doers of the word for reasons that aren't thoroughly anchored in the ultimate goal of fellowship with God is a sure way to encourage moralism, legalism (and hypocrisy). I should know: I lived for a very long time under the sort of teaching I just heard from Middleton.

Not sure what this website is about. It just looks confusing. David Middleton reads from the King James which is translated from the Textus Receptus. He does point out where the errors are in the King James. But the other versions are way worse. So I wouldn’t say he is from a reformed camp. You only listened to him for five minutes and already judged. If you follow the link to his website, there are many videos on different subjects. And yes we are to have relationship. He does talk about.

Now, Jesus say’s “If you love me, keep my commandments". John 14:15

If you asked your wife to do something and she didn’t do it, how would that make you feel? Is that “relationship”? Or you gave her some really good advise and she said, “that’s nice” and didn’t do it. If she loved you or trusted your judgment, she would have done what you asked or advised. You and your wife are One flesh. Two different people but you both should be on the same page. Jesus always did what the Holy Father asked. He did nothing on his own. What would have happened if Jesus said, I have relationship with the Father. I pray. I go to church. I read the scriptures. But...I don’t feel like casting out those demons. I really don’t have time for all these people day and night. I don’t feel led to go to the cross. We probably would think that he is being led by the flesh. Or his fleshly spirit. Even the apostles (the true church) did what Jesus asked. And led by the Spirit. Even to the death. And he asks us to deny ourselves and follow him. John 14:21 Jesus says “he who is having my commands, and is keeping them, that one it is who is loving me, and he who is loving me shall be loved by my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.' (Youngs Literal Translation)

Let me ask you a question...What is legalism? Because Jesus says, he who doesn’t love me keepeth not my commandments. Legalism might be keeping the old testament law. But God made a new covenant with us. But there are conditions like any covenant. With commandments. We obey God and he will bless us.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what this website is about. It just looks confusing.

The site is occupied with the matter of salvation: How are we saved? On what basis? What free agency, if any, does Man have in receiving salvation? How does God "elect" people for salvation? And so on. It offers a much more philosophically-robust and biblical accounting of salvation than the Reformed/Calvinist perspective offers.

David Middleton reads from the King James which is translated from the Textus Receptus. He does point out where the errors are in the King James. But the other versions are way worse.

Some are. Some are, in my view, better. My primary study Bible is the NASB. I memorize Scripture from the KJV, however.

You only listened to him for five minutes and already judged.

When one knows the truth well, one notices even small divergences from it.

Now, Jesus say’s “If you love me, keep my commandments". John 14:15

Have you noticed that Jesus makes love the predicate to obedience? Obedience reflects an already existing love; obedience doesn't constitute love. Many Christians get this very confused, thinking that obedience is itself the love they have and express to God. They settle into the idea that so long as they are obedient to God's commands, they are loving Him - even if their hearts are far from Him, desiring all sorts of other things more than they do Him. In their lives, obedience comes to replace a genuine desire - love - for God.

This is a serious problem because, as the Pharisees demonstrated, one can be very obedient, following all the laws of God (or, at least, seeming to), and yet be in rebellion to God, full of pride and hypocrisy. Love and obedience aren't one and the same thing, then; and Christians can fall into the Pharisaical life of hypocritical law-keeping if they lose sight of this fact.

In the five minutes I listened, Middleton mentioned keeping the laws of God, being obedient, again and again, offering many reasons for doing so. But he never once mentioned that the law of God begins with the First and Great Commandment which is to love God with all of one's being. It is in the keeping of this law that all of the obedience to God's other laws arise. If one doesn't start with obeying God at the First and Great Commandment, all other obedience to God is for nothing. Paul the apostle made this very clear:

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Jesus, too, spoke on this matter also, though in a less direct way:

Matthew 7:21-23
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

If you were going to make a case for entrance into the kingdom of heaven on the basis of your obedience to God, as those in this story tried to do, wouldn't you begin with the commandment God said was the First and Greatest? I would. But in the story Jesus told, obedience to this commandment is never mentioned. Isn't this astonishing? Both in the Old and New Testaments, loving God with one's entire being is the ground for all other law-keeping. (Deuteronomy 6:5; Deuteronomy 10:12; Matthew 22:36-38) But the people in Christ's story never claim to have lived in obedience to the First and Greatest Commandment, though they point to many other good deeds done in Christ's name. But these good deeds weren't enough. They did not arise from a heart of love for God, from a deep desire to know and walk with Christ. And so, those who had performed them were cast out.

When I listen to preachers urging obedience to God, I always listen very closely to the reason they give for why obedience is important and upon what it rests. If I don't hear, first and foremost, that the love-motive is the ground for all Christian obedience to God's laws, I know I am listening to a legalist.

If you asked your wife to do something and she didn’t do it, how would that make you feel? Is that “relationship”?

My relationship with my wife does not rest upon her doing what I want her to do. Our relationship rests upon a mutual deep desire to know and enjoy one another and to live to the increasing benefit of one another. Out of our love for one another, our service to one another arises. I first love my wife, I have a deep, over-riding desire for her, and THEN I act to show that I do in self-sacrificing service to her (and vice versa).

There are many times when my wife does not act as I would prefer she act. Do I think she loves me less when this is so? No. And even if this is what it meant, I would love her still. I am committed to her well-being, to service to her, by God's grace, no matter what. And I love her this way in emulation of the love God has for me.

Or you gave her some really good advise and she said, “that’s nice” and didn’t do it. If she loved you or trusted your judgment, she would have done what you asked or advised. You and your wife are One flesh. Two different people but you both should be on the same page.

This is the ideal - sort of - but it is rarely the reality in any consistent way. Really, I don't want my wife conformed to my views on things. I want us both to be more like Christ. That's the important thing to which we ought to urge each other. We are both of us subject to the same Higher Authority, our eyes fixed upon him, before and above anything else.

Even the apostles (the true church) did what Jesus asked. And led by the Spirit. Even to the death.

Why? From what fundamental motive? Those that Middleton pointed out? No. Paul stated what he was aimed at in following Christ:

Philippians 3:7-10
7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,
9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,
10 that I may know Him...

Paul was not pursuing a righteous life, an obedient life, but a Person: Jesus Christ. Paul wanted to know Jesus, to walk with him in fellowship, not just relationship. A holy life made this possible, but a holy life was never an end in itself for Paul. It shouldn't be for us, either.

Let me ask you a question...What is legalism?

Legalism is the fruit of moralism which is the thinking that righteousness, obedience to God's laws, is an end in itself; it is the thinking that holy living is the chief goal of the Christian life. Jesus is the Chief Goal, not righteousness.

But there are conditions like any covenant. With commandments. We obey God and he will bless us.

And God is the Exceeding Great Reward (Genesis 15:1) of our obedience, not whatever other lesser blessings might derive from our obedience. We keep His commands because in so doing we come into greater, richer communion with Him.

1 John 1:3
3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In this video, it took 1 minute and 9 seconds for the speaker to mishandle Scripture! Wow.

Here's Hebrews 8:10 in its immediate context:

Hebrews 8:7-11 (NASB)
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.
8 For finding fault with them, He says, "BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;
9 NOT LIKE THE COVENANT WHICH I MADE WITH THEIR FATHERS ON THE DAY WHEN I TOOK THEM BY THE HAND TO LEAD THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT; FOR THEY DID NOT CONTINUE IN MY COVENANT, AND I DID NOT CARE FOR THEM, SAYS THE LORD.
10 "FOR THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND I WILL WRITE THEM ON THEIR HEARTS. AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE.
11 "AND THEY SHALL NOT TEACH EVERYONE HIS FELLOW CITIZEN, AND EVERYONE HIS BROTHER, SAYING, 'KNOW THE LORD,' FOR ALL WILL KNOW ME, FROM THE LEAST TO THE GREATEST OF THEM.

Why was the first covenant replaced by a second, new covenant? As verse 7 indicates, because it was "not faultless." As Paul in many of his letters explained, the law showed that no one was capable of keeping it perfectly. Establishing an unattainable standard, the law merely condemned humanity. The law was not able to make people perfect and in this respect it was "faulty." The fault was not with the moral standard the law delineated, but with the capacity of the law to provide the means whereby it might be kept.

Romans 5:20
20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase...

Romans 7:7
7 What shall we say then? Is the Law sin? May it never be! On the contrary, I would not have come to know sin except through the Law; for I would not have known about coveting if the Law had not said, "YOU SHALL NOT COVET."

Romans 3:19-20
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God;
20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

The effect of the law was to give to humanity the knowledge of Sin; but in doing so, the Law showed people to be incorrigible law-breakers. As a result, a New Covenant was required that would eradicate the necessity for an endlessly-repeated blood-sacrifice of animals that could never actually properly atone for sin (Hebrews 10:1-4). Through the once-for-all, perfect sacrifice of Christ for the sins of humanity, the Old Covenant was set aside for a New Covenant, established upon Christ and his atoning work at Calvary. Through, and in, him the unattainable standard of divine perfection is offered to humanity. In Christ, the sinner may find the perfect justification and sanctification they need to be reconciled to God and adopted into His family (1 Corinthians 1:30).

Hebrews 10:9-12
9 then He (Jesus) said, "BEHOLD, I HAVE COME TO DO YOUR WILL." He (Jesus) takes away the first in order to establish the second.
10 By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 Every priest stands daily ministering and offering time after time the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins;
12 but He, having offered one sacrifice for sins for all time, SAT DOWN AT THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD,

(Parenthetical words added for clarification.)

Under the Christ-centered dynamic of the New Covenant, the law-centered Old Covenant is set aside.

Romans 7:6
6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.

Galatians 3:13-14
13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, "CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE"—
14 in order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Galatians 3:21-25
21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law.
22 But the Scripture has shut up everyone under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept in custody under the law, being shut up to the faith which was later to be revealed.
24 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith.
25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Romans 3:21-22
21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

Hebrews 7:18-19
18 For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness
19 (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Anyone who urges you to be law-focused is urging you away from the plain declaration of God's word that such a focus is actually dangerous to the New Covenant, born-again believer. Paul responded to this sort of thing going on among the Galatian believers this way:

Galatians 3:1-3
1 You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?
2 This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
3 Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

The law written on tablets of stone, is set aside for God's law written on fleshly tablets of the human heart by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 8:1-4
1 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Romans 7:6
6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Galatians 5:18
18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

The post-Calvary born-again believer is led into a righteous life by being controlled by the Spirit who works to transform the believer and lead him/her into a Christ-centered, holy life. As they are living in this way, the righteousness of the law is inevitably fulfilled - but not by a fleshly, legalistic fixation on law-keeping, but by the means Paul described to the Corinthian believers:

2 Corinthians 3:18
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

Be really wary, brother, of the preacher who emphasizes the law, telling you its crucial to Christian living. This is NOT the way to joyful fellowship with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Aiki, sorry you don't quite understand his teaching. True we are not under the 10 commandment law anymore. But we are under a new covenant. And with a new covenant there is conditions. When we do our part, God does his part. Example: Give and it will be given unto you. Seek and you will find. Knock and it shall be open.
Also, God commands us to forgive others and He will forgive us. Is that keeping a law? Jesus also taught us to repent. From your view, what are we repenting of?
John 9:31. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Is doing His will following a law?

John 14: 15. If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 24. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. So Jesus says to keep his commandments and his sayings. That is what David Middleton is talking about. That is the new covenant.

Remember these scripture before you make judgment again. Romans 2:1. Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. 8. But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9. Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; 10. But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: 11. For there is no respect of persons with God. 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Be a doer. Here is another one for you. Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
1 Corinthians 6:9. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10. Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. Well I guess we can cross this out of our bibles since there is no law anymore to follow. We are now required to fulfill the royal law now. "LOVE" If we walk in love we are not under the law.
Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Aiki, sorry you don't quite understand his teaching. True we are not under the 10 commandment law anymore. But we are under a new covenant. And with a new covenant there is conditions. When we do our part, God does his part. Example: Give and it will be given unto you. Seek and you will find. Knock and it shall be open.
Also, God commands us to forgive others and He will forgive us. Is that keeping a law? Jesus also taught us to repent. From your view, what are we repenting of?
John 9:31. Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth. Is doing His will following a law?

Well, hang on, there. Everything God commands of His children is predicated upon the presence and power of the Holy Spirit within them (Philippians 2:13; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 8:9-13; Ephesians 3:16). Even our salvation cannot occur if God does not first begin to draw us to Christ (John 6:44), convict us of our sin and need of a Savior (John 16:8), and give us repentance to the acknowledging of the truth (2 Timothy 2:25). We are only able to respond positively to the Gospel after God has done these things. In the same way, we are only capable of obeying God because His Spirit dwells within us enabling us to do so. Our part, then, is to reflect what the Spirit has done in us
in our obedience to God's commands. There isn't, really, our part and God's part, then. It's all God, start to finish. By faith, we receive God's work in us; we remain, by faith, in it; and we reflect His transformation of us in our living. We are responders, not producers, which law-keeping often obscures.

John 14: 15. If ye love me, keep my commandments. 16. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 24. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. So Jesus says to keep his commandments and his sayings. That is what David Middleton is talking about. That is the new covenant.

And my concern is that he doesn't properly indicate on what basis the Christian is to do so.

Remember these scripture before you make judgment again. Romans 2:1. Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. 8. But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, 9. Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; 10. But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: 11. For there is no respect of persons with God. 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

??? You have no idea whatever of the content of my life. None. Why hasn't this ignorance prevented you from this roundabout ad hominem attack? Your ugly use of Scripture here says more about you than me, I think.

Be a doer. Here is another one for you. Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. 18For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple. 19For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.
1 Corinthians 6:9. Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10. Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. Well I guess we can cross this out of our bibles since there is no law anymore to follow. We are now required to fulfill the royal law now. "LOVE" If we walk in love we are not under the law.
Revelation 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Again, you have no idea what the general tenor of my life is. Your challenge here issues from this total ignorance, which suggests things about you rather than me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Two minutes and sixteen seconds in and the guy in your video has already moved into works-salvation, a heresy plainly and directly refuted in Scripture. (Ephesians 2:8-9; 2 Timothy 1:9; Titus 3:5)

Anyway, it's telling that rather than acknowledge the points in my posts to you - especially about criticizing my life when you know nothing of it - you carry on as though you did nothing untoward, ignoring my points except to post a video that does your arguing for you. Clearly, you don't want to engage usefully with another believer about what you think you understand about the faith, but rather, just toss out videos where others do the thinking and talking in your stead. You will not come to a knowledge of the truth in this way, brother. Instead, you will come under the power of false teachers. Be careful.

As Paul wrote to the believers at Rome, through the Spirit, they "mortify," or put to death the deeds of the flesh (Romans 8:13). What does it mean to mortify the flesh through, or by, the Spirit? Well, consider Romans 6. In Christ, Paul wrote, the believer has already been made "dead to sin but alive unto God"; they have already been "crucified with Christ that the body of sin might be destroyed that henceforth they should not serve sin" (Romans 6:6). The believer's death to sin is an accomplished spiritual reality through and in Christ; it is not something the believer does for God in their own power.

Every born-again believer has been united with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:1-6). This is part of the wonder and joy of the Gospel. Christ has done for us on the cross what we could never do for ourselves: Put to death the "body of sin," separating us from the power of the unregenerate "old man." His blood shed at Calvary cleanses us from the stain of our sin but it is the cross, the cross of Christ, that frees us from the power of Self and Sin. All that remains is for the born-again believer to know and live, by faith, in the truth of what Christ has accomplished for them at Calvary. As they do, the Spirit brings them into conformity to the truth of their union with Christ in his death, burial and resurrection (Romans 6:1-11; Colossians 2:12; Colossians 3:1-3; Galatians 2:20, etc.) in their daily living.

Romans 8:13-14
13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Ephesians 3:16
16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

Galatians 5:22-25
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:18
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.

And so on. It is the work of the Spirit in us that changes us, conforming us to the image of Christ. We simply receive, remain in, and reflect his work in our living.

Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Aiki! Do you have anything better to do that to judge and criticize? This section of the forum is for Discipleship. Those who want to learn. If you are looking for an excuse not to repent and follow Christ, go find a luke warm section of this forum and hang out where you will be more comfortable. You can tickle each others ears there with the rest of the blind.

Upvote 0