Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So everyday for about 2 years now I’ve said the same/similar Prayer.
I enjoy saying it but sometimes it’s dry, yet I still Pray it.
sometimes it’s like lists, other times it’s like a cry to God.
How can I make my Prayers more sincere?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Paul said to pray without ceasing, and I've heard the word used in that sentence is the same as for a hacking cough.

So maybe switch it up. You can do your set prayers for the day, but don't stop there talk to God all day asking Him about the little things during the day.

Sincerity comes from a place where it is your reality, and where there is a genuine relationship being exercised.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Paul said to pray without ceasing, and I've heard the word used in that sentence is the same as for a hacking cough.

So maybe switch it up. You can do your set prayers for the day, but don't stop there talk to God all day asking Him about the little things during the day.

Sincerity comes from a place where it is your reality, and where there is a genuine relationship being exercised.

Hope that helps.
That’s exactly what I do, but when I try to have one-on-one with God it’s just dry.
My most memorable Prayers were short yet hold a special place in my heart.
(Like before a dance, I’d say “God, be with me now, let this Glorify You)

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That’s exactly what I do, but when I try to have one-on-one with God it’s just dry.
Oh yeah, when dancing, I tend to lay hands on my legs and pray when I get tired. Like God's there with me.

This conversation is a prayer to God to make it more real between you two, expect an answer.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh yeah, when dancing, I tend to lay hands on my legs and pray when I get tired. Like God's there with me.

This conversation is a prayer to God to make it more real between you two, expect an answer.
Yea, it’s so beautiful I can barely explain it.

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Just pray, God knows. I repeat the exact same prayer for my meals. Really there is nothing wrong with repeated pray. As CS Lewis says "I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time, waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God. It changes me."

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Stop using the same prayer and try talking to God as you would if Jesus suddenly walked into the room and sat down beside you. What would you say to Him? What would you ask? Start there.

Prayer is simply a time of communion and connection between you and God. It doesn't have to be any particular set of words or phrases. The Lord's Prayer is a great, simple template to build off of, but you don't have to be repetitive or restricted at all. It has an opening, reverent greeting, a submission to God's will and acknowledgement of His supremacy, a plea for provision and having our daily needs met, repentance of sin (as well as forgiving others for their sin), asking for guidance and help in resisting future evil and temptation. But you can say all of these things in whatever manner feels authentic and genuine to you.

Remember, God already knows your heart. He knows everything you're going through, thinking, and feeling. You aren't going to surprise Him or shock Him. He doesn't care if you're awkward. He only cares about your heart. So share it with Him. From the simple, every day things, to the deep-down, pit-of-your-soul things. He wants you. All of you.

If you find yourself just repeating the same phrases every time you pray, just stop and take a few minutes to be still before Him, and listen. Sometimes He's waiting for us to just stop rambling and listen a bit before we start talking :)

• Agree
Reactions: Palmfever
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's like asking, 'how can we send ourselves trials?' or 'how can we be humbled?'

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
(Psa 51:1-10)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟152,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Talk. You can not go any place He isn't. So walk with and talk with Him. I suppose people feel differently about this, but I don't set up up special times unless it's with others. Be honest, He knows. so in my opinion no vain repetitions. He is our father after all.
In Christ

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

am not a great prayer so this is more do as i say not do as i do, but i read Practicing the Presence by Brother Lawrence. it amazing book on how to commune with God throughout your day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's like asking, 'how can we send ourselves trials?' or 'how can we be humbled?'

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest. Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
(Psa 51:1-10)

i'd love to be more humble....i sure need it! i am trying to take myself down a peg or two but it never works.

Upvote 0

ForHimbyHim

May 18, 2020
Nairobi
✟55,269.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'd love to be more humble....i sure need it! i am trying to take myself down a peg or two but it never works.
Humility is an acknowledgement that without God we are nothing. And that every good comes from above, even the good things in us.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Stop using the same prayer and try talking to God as you would if Jesus suddenly walked into the room and sat down beside you. What would you say to Him? What would you ask? Start there.

Prayer is simply a time of communion and connection between you and God. It doesn't have to be any particular set of words or phrases. The Lord's Prayer is a great, simple template to build off of, but you don't have to be repetitive or restricted at all. It has an opening, reverent greeting, a submission to God's will and acknowledgement of His supremacy, a plea for provision and having our daily needs met, repentance of sin (as well as forgiving others for their sin), asking for guidance and help in resisting future evil and temptation. But you can say all of these things in whatever manner feels authentic and genuine to you.

Remember, God already knows your heart. He knows everything you're going through, thinking, and feeling. You aren't going to surprise Him or shock Him. He doesn't care if you're awkward. He only cares about your heart. So share it with Him. From the simple, every day things, to the deep-down, pit-of-your-soul things. He wants you. All of you.

If you find yourself just repeating the same phrases every time you pray, just stop and take a few minutes to be still before Him, and listen. Sometimes He's waiting for us to just stop rambling and listen a bit before we start talking :)

amen!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can't. It's just like it when James said 'no man can tame the tongue, it is an unruly evil'...the same goes for our pride. It takes an active work of God from the inside out. Be patient and look to Him for that glorious work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums