✟34,989.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Summary

When the king made a decree and Daniel saw lions mentioned in the fine print, he went home straight away and prayed to God about it. But the bad guys were watching ...

Characters

NARRATOR, SNEAKY, DEVIOUS, NASTY, DARIUS, DANIEL, GUARD, SALESMAN

NARRATOR Sometime after Jerusalem was captured and many of the Israelites had been taken into exile, King Darius of the Medes took over the kingship. The king decided to appoint governors to oversee his kingdom and administrators to oversee the governors. One of these administrators was a Jewish exile named Daniel.

Now Daniel so distinguished himself by his exceptional qualities that the king planned to put him in charge of his whole kingdom. At this the administrators and governors became jealous and looked for a way to get rid of Daniel.

Scene 1: Daniel’s office

[The bad guys are in Daniel’s office at night time, with torches, looking through Daniel’s desk and filing cabinet]

SNEAKY All right boys, we’re after anything incriminating.

DEVIOUS [Pointing down] Hey nice rug.

NASTY Persian?

DEVIOUS I’d say so.

SNEAKY Quiet you two. [To Devious] Check the filing cabinet.

DEVIOUS [Flicking through] Nothing under racketeering ... no fff-raud ... no extortion.

SNEAKY Try "H" for homicide, it’s a long shot.

DEVIOUS There’s nothing here. Not even a misdemeanor. What about his expenses?

NASTY [Shaking head] Stationary, camel fares ... no all this stuff’s legit’.

DEVIOUS Maybe we could plant something in here. Like a silver cup.

NASTY It’s been done.

SNEAKY This is hopeless. We’re never going to find anything on this guy. [Click fingers] Unless it has something to do with that God of his.

NASTY Got ya’. I’ll call his Sunday school teacher and see what I can dig up.

SNEAKY No wait a minute, I’ve got a better idea. [Fade out]

NARRATOR Now the rulers and administrators went to King Darius with a scheme to trap Daniel.

Scene 2: Throneroom

DARIUS Before we begin gentlemen, Daniel mentioned to me the other day that we need to consider the consequences of our decisions more carefully. [Getting out notepad]

So I’m going to strictly and comprehensively evaluate everything you say. Now speak, O royal officials.

SNEAKY Oh king you are wondrous to gaze upon.

DARIUS [Taking notes] Seems good so far.

SNEAKY And who could possibly compare to your majesty.

DARIUS [Still taking notes] ... majesty." No argument there.

SNEAKY [Handing file, king flicks through] So the royal administrators and I have devised a proposal that all of your subjects should pray only to you and to no other man or god for a period of thirty days. Then they too may appreciate your greatness.

DARIUS [Stacking pages together] Well this seems to be in order. But what will you have me do to anyone who disobeys this decree?

SNEAKY I suggest your majesty, in the unlikely event that anyone disobeys this decree, that they should be fed … to the fish. [Bom Bom Bomm]

DARIUS How are we going to feed them to the fish, the fish are like this small?

SNEAKY Well I thought we could chop them up into fish flake size pieces and ...

DEVIOUS [Interrupts] Why don’t we just feed them to the lions? I thought that’s why we bought the things in the first place.

DARIUS That’s right just feed them to the lions.

SNEAKY I was just offering my opinion.

NASTY Well keep it to yourself next time.

SNEAKY I am so unappreciated.

[Fade out]

NARRATOR So on the advice of his administrators and rulers, King Darius put the decree in writing so that it could not be altered, even by himself, according to the law.

Now when Daniel read the decree and saw lions mentioned in the fine print he immediately went home and prayed to God. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed giving thanks to God, just as he always did. But the king’s officials were watching.

Scene 3: Stake-out

[The three bad guys are watching Daniel’s house to catch him praying to God. Nasty is looking through binoculars]

NASTY The decree says no praying to God, so what does he do? He prays to God about the decree.

SNEAKY I tell you, these Jews are so predictable.

BAD GUYS Ha ha ha ha ha.

DEVIOUS Hey give me a go of the binoculars.

NASTY No they’re mine!

DEVIOUS I said I want those binoculars!

NASTY And I said you’re not getting them!

SNEAKY All right, that’s it you two! I’m confiscating those binoculars. [Takes binoculars and looks through, laughing quietly to himself]

He he he, they’re so stupid.

[Fade out]

NARRATOR After the officials had caught Daniel praying to God they went to the king and reminded him of his royal decree.

Scene 4: Back in Throneroom

[Darius is sitting at his throne, there is a coffee table beside him with a pile of letters on it. Bad guys enter]

NASTY O king we have disturbing news. Do you remember the decree you wrote the other day.

DARIUS What, the one about goat’s milk with school lunches?

NASTY No, the other one. The one which decreed that none of your subjects should pray to any man or god other than yourself for a period of thirty days, lest they be thrown to the lions.

DARIUS Oh you bet I remember it! For the last thirty days, day and night I’ve heard nothing but prayers. [Picks up some letters & reads through]

"O king should I buy a new house?"

"Can you fix it so I go well in my exams?"

"My date tree is dying, can you do something about it?"

Oh and last night a doosy:

"O king I pray that the monarchy will be overturned and Persia will become a republic!"

DEVIOUS Well your highness there is another problem. Daniel, one of the exiles from Judah, pays no attention to your decree. He still prays to his God, three times a day and according to the decree he must be thrown into the lions’ den.

DARIUS [Hits himself on the head] Daniel!

[Fade out]

More coming...

Kaylee4Christ

Dec 25, 2004
ohio
✟34,989.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR When the king heard this he was determined to rescue Daniel. However according to the law his decree could not be changed. So reluctantly, at sundown the king gave the order and Daniel was brought to the lions’ den.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Scene 5: Lions’ Den[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Bad guys are on scene. One has a bon voyage flag][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SNEAKY Bring the prisoner in! [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Guard brings Daniel out][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]GUARD [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Hands Daniel a pill][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Here swallow this.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL What is it?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]GUARD It’s a heart worm tablet.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL I’m not swallowing that![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]GUARD [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif](Grumpy)[/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Fine.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Darius enters][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Daniel, may your God whom you serve continually, rescue you. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Reluctantly to guard][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Throw him into the den. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Door opened & Daniel is in. The den entrance is closed. Fade out][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR After Daniel was thrown into the den a large stone was placed over the mouth of the den and the king placed his seal on the stone so that Daniel’s situation could not be changed. Then he returned to his palace and spent the night without eating. And he could not sleep.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Scene 6: King's Bedroom [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][King is sitting upright in his bed, wearing pyjamas and night cap, with cuddly lion. Suddenly roaring of lions is heard][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS Hey you lions! Keep it down, I’m trying to sleep! [[/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Eyes widen] [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Lions.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Cuddles fluffy lion, then looks at it][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Ahh! [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Throws away. Pause][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SALES MAN [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Door opens][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Excuse me sire, I’m selling lion mints to fund local community...[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS Get out![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SALES MAN Shish what a grouch! [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Closes door][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Thinking aloud][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Now what I should have said was anyone who doesn’t pray to me as well as any other god they may have would be thrown to the lions. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Pause][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]No, that wouldn’t have worked either. Come to think of it, maybe it would have been a good idea not to have made that decree in the first place. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Sigh][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Oh it’s not easy being king. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Fade out][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR At the first light of dawn, the king got up and hurried to the lion’s den.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Scene 7: Back at Lions’ Den [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Guard is on scene. King enters wearing pyjamas. Daniel is off stage][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]GUARD We’ve removed the stone at your request sire.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Looking down][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Daniel, are you down there?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL Nobody down here but us lions.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS He's not there. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Strangling guard] [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]They've eaten him![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL Hey king it's me.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Letting guard go][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Is that you Daniel or another talking lion?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL It's me.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS He's alive. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Strangling guard] [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]He's ali.. oo sorry. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Thinking][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Ah Daniel, how is it you're alive?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL My God sent an angel to shut the mouths of the lions.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS What about their claws?[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL Claws too, the whole nine yards. They’ve just been lying there the whole night. Hey watch this, throw me down a ball of string.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][To guard][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Throw Daniel a ball of string. And throw him a rope while your at it. [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][They pull Daniel out][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR So they hoisted Daniel from the den and when he was lifted out no wound was found on him, because he had trusted in God.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DEVIOUS I don’t believe it! Not even a scratch![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SNEAKY I told you we should have fed him to the fish.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NASTY [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Yelling at lions][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] You stupid lions! What’s wrong with you! Hey you, [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Throws pot down][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Take that! [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Lion roar][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Ha![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS Daniel it’s good to have you back safe and sound.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DANIEL Thanks king.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]GUARD Look king, sorry to interrupt, but these lions haven’t eaten for the entire play! If we don’t feed them something pretty soon they’re going to start turning on the sheep! [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Three look down, "Baaaa". Then king looks at bad guys][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DEVIOUS Nah nah nah, you big [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] cats![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]DARIUS [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Still looking at bad guys][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] I’ve got just the thing. [/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][All 3 look at bad guys. Sneaky sees this & taps Devious on the shoulder. Fade out][/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR And so Daniel was saved, the king was relieved, the lions were fed,[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NASTY [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Off-stage][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] Nice kitty.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR and everyone was happy ... well almost everyone.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]SNEAKY [/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][Offstage][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif] No you can’t, I’m allergic to cat hair![/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]NARRATOR Then the king issued a new decree:[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]That everyone in his kingdom must show great respect to the God of Daniel, for he had proven that he is a living and powerful God because he rescued Daniel from the power of the lions.[/font]

Upvote 0