Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Talk about a chore...I've got my 2012 mac mini partitioned for a linux distro but things aren't as simple as they used to be..I've loaded linux distros (ubuntu and mint) on PCs but trying to get either loaded onto this mac is a real bear. I've got both latest Mint & Ubuntu sitting on my desktop but haven't had any success getting it installed..efforts with "Mac Linux USB Loader" program have not worked.

Anyone have any advice :help::crossrc:

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, are you having problems creating the LiveUSB that can be used as the install media, or actually getting the install media to boot correctly?

Ubuntu has a tutorial for doing this right on the main website:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Although they do suggest you use a CD to do the install rather than a LiveUSB. So it may just be easier to get an external USB optical drive and use that.

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Talk about a chore...I've got my 2012 mac mini partitioned for a linux distro but things aren't as simple as they used to be..I've loaded linux distros (ubuntu and mint) on PCs but trying to get either loaded onto this mac is a real bear. I've got both latest Mint & Ubuntu sitting on my desktop but haven't had any success getting it installed..efforts with "Mac Linux USB Loader" program have not worked.

Anyone have any advice :help::crossrc:

I hope you'll remember to think twice before you buy any overpriced junk from apple in future.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope you'll remember to think twice before you buy any overpriced junk from apple in future.

Hardly "junk"...my first mini I bought in '06 and lasted me until 2014 with nary a problem...got this one refurbished last year or early this year..runs like a champ with no regrets.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, are you having problems creating the LiveUSB that can be used as the install media, or actually getting the install media to boot correctly?

Ubuntu has a tutorial for doing this right on the main website:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Although they do suggest you use a CD to do the install rather than a LiveUSB. So it may just be easier to get an external USB optical drive and use that.

I think it's a booting issue...since there's no BIOS on a mac there's a different setting but I get the "nervous" feeling wondering how I would change it back to ever boot normally....why couldn't mac have a BIOS screen ;)

Upvote 0

inlight12

Aug 10, 2014
✟7,882.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hardly "junk"...my first mini I bought in '06 and lasted me until 2014 with nary a problem...got this one refurbished last year or early this year..runs like a champ with no regrets.
Well, I for one would buy something that I can control to maximum degree. I don't want to be in Apple Jail. And buying a well priced quality hardware outweighs buying overpriced macs with lower feature per price because both will last the same amount but mac will be less powerful.

I think it's a booting issue...since there's no BIOS on a mac there's a different setting but I get the "nervous" feeling wondering how I would change it back to ever boot normally....why couldn't mac have a BIOS screen ;)
Why should they? Apple decides what its customers are allowed to do and it has decided that they are not allowed to access BIOS.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I for one would buy something that I can control to maximum degree. I don't want to be in Apple Jail. And buying a well priced quality hardware outweighs buying overpriced macs with lower feature per price because both will last the same amount but mac will be less powerful.

Why should they? Apple decides what its customers are allowed to do and it has decided that they are not allowed to access BIOS.

..whatever....no regrets on my apple/mac purchases...which are exactly 3 products.. two minis and an iPod :p hardly a mac fanboy....so...just go away..thank you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,639.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Have you tried looking or asking around on Ubuntu forums (or Mint forums)? They generally get a pretty decent answer pretty quickly.

But in theory, newer distros should install on Macs without too much drama. Are you actually getting errors trying to launch the media (or black screen or anything)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you tried looking or asking around on Ubuntu forums (or Mint forums)? They generally get a pretty decent answer pretty quickly.

But in theory, newer distros should install on Macs without too much drama. Are you actually getting errors trying to launch the media (or black screen or anything)?

I will check the forums when I have more time and give a report...:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

SoulMiasma

Aug 30, 2015
✟15,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did it. I would never do it again, and I'm never buying another Mac. I had to buy one of Apple's special Ethernet adapters (Thunderwire, or whatever it's called). I used that to have a network connection when using Arch Linux's install USB image. I had to hack with the screen because many programs don't support the Retina display. It's a headache!

Upvote 0