Linux Mint

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟420,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,
Just curious if there is anyone else running Linux Mint OS as their primary Operating System on their personal computers on here?

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I don't use Mint as my main OS, but have used it in the past, and have installed it for relatives of mine who have chosen to switch to Linux. It is a very popular distro and Cinnamon is a very well thought out interface, with excellent core apps. It uses a traditional desktop metaphor which is ideal for those migrating from other systems such as Windows.
I use Fedora workstation, a distribution I am a little more familiar with, and it its default desktop is Gnome which suits my workflow better, especially since I use a desktop PC and a touchscreen laptop.

Reactions: eclipsenow
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟420,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
See I like Mint because it is easy on my hardware. I have only 4gb of RAM in my pc and I do not want to push the limits on what I install. And Windows 10...Oh my gosh that was pushing it to the max.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
See I like Mint because it is easy on my hardware. I have only 4gb of RAM in my pc and I do not want to push the limits on what I install. And Windows 10...Oh my gosh that was pushing it to the max.
At the end of 2019, there were a lot of improvements to Cinnamon in general and also its window manager/compositor which resulted in a significant performance boost. You will notice that more recent versions are far more responsive, even on slightly older hardware.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟420,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah. Mint reminds me of the Windows OS too, which I guess could either be a good or bad thing. But regardless, Linux Mint has earned my trust and respect. I tried Fedora Cinnamon and was not impressed....not because it was Fedora, but because I had to configure my printer which took 2 hours to do. Mint detected it immediately.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yeah. Mint reminds me of the Windows OS too, which I guess could either be a good or bad thing. But regardless, Linux Mint has earned my trust and respect. I tried Fedora Cinnamon and was not impressed....not because it was Fedora, but because I had to configure my printer which took 2 hours to do. Mint detected it immediately.
I don't personally don't use Fedora spins like Cinnamon and KDE. I have tried them myself and didn't get on very well with them. I use Workstation, which is the main edition. It uses Gnome Shell by default which seems much better integrated. It's also the version that is used as the base for Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Is not Linux Mint based off of Ubuntu 18.04? I read that somewhere.
It's usually based on the LTS version of Ubuntu. I can't remember which number that is!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Yes. Just thinking about upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04.
You'll certainly enjoy the improvements!
Gnome has new features such as a "do not disturb" function for notifications (very handy!), a redesigned activities overview, a new app for managing extensions, and a redesigned lock screen! Also there is a notable performance boost.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I'm on Linux Mint 18.3. I was going to follow through to 19.x until I realized that it wasn't worth the hassle to reinstall the OS, all of the programs and settings, reconfigure the network, etc. My desktop can take it, but my netbook can't, so I'm staying with this version of the OS until end of life. Then, what...I don't know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟420,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nona.
I recommend Linux lite. I actually left mint when I realized that mint is not respoecting their users on their web forum. That is a huge turn off for me. So now I am running linux lite. It is quick and everything works. I'd try that. www.linuxliteos.com

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One of the weaknesses of Linux is that, despite being a lesser-used operating system, it still gets heavily subdivided into smaller distributions. This isn't good for development, dividing the expertise to that extent. It means having fewer people working on any given OS. It's really good for innovation, when they can look at each other's work and get ideas, but the individual systems have fewer people fixing bugs and working on compatibility. That's why I went with a more popular distribution. I didn't want to contribute to further splintering of the effort.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Nona.
I recommend Linux lite. I actually left mint when I realized that mint is not respoecting their users on their web forum. That is a huge turn off for me. So now I am running linux lite. It is quick and everything works. I'd try that. www.linuxliteos.com
It's good to try out different distros - there are literally thousands of them out there - they are incredibly verstatile and customised to meet people's needs. But I agree with nonaeroterraqueous, the constant splintering of distros does hinder development. There are much fewer people maintaining the smaller distros, development tends to be much slower, and they don't tend to stick around for very long. The larger distros such as Ubuntu, Fedora and Opensuse, have many more developers working on them and have significant commercial backing and sponsorship by the likes of Canonical, IBM/RedHat, and Novell, which are a major driving force for innovation.
Fundamentally every version or "flavour" of Linux works in the same way. The main differences are the kernel version used, the package manager, the repositories, the installer, and possibly a few homegrown apps. Other things such the choice of desktop environment, wallpaper, theming and branding can be changed very easily. If you don't like the DE, you can install another. For instance, you can make your computer look and behave exactly like Ubuntu simply by downloading Gnome Shell, the wallpaper, adding a few shell extensions and changing the GTK and icon theme. No one would notice the difference.
A lot of distros target specific users. There are some like Ubuntu, Zorin OS, Linux Mint and Elementary which are designed to reduce the learning curve for people switching to Linux. Codecs and hardware drivers are preinstalled, subpixel font rendering is configured by default. You have a ready to use system which requires no further configuration once installed. A lot of people claim that some distros are tailored towards more "advanced users", but in reality they are simply systems providing a more basic set-up allowing users to tweak and configure the system to their requirements. You can still add the codecs, adjust the fonts, add third party repos, download drivers, etc. it just takes a little more work to get things how you want them.

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Visit site
✟420,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was pretty disappointed that Mint and Linux Lite did not recognize my printer. Am running fedora Cinnamon 32 and it works perfectly. Especially my canon printer/scanner

Anthony,
Have you ever heard of a user in fedora when they try and update via the terminal it tells them their account is not in the sudo admin group? I do not know how to fix that...

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟775,045.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I was pretty disappointed that Mint and Linux Lite did not recognize my printer. Am running fedora Cinnamon 32 and it works perfectly. Especially my canon printer/scanner

Anthony,
Have you ever heard of a user in fedora when they try and update via the terminal it tells them their account is not in the sudo admin group? I do not know how to fix that...
Yes you have to configure that person to use sudo.
Open a terminal and type the following id
which will show your username.
Then type su - and enter. Then enter your password
Finally type usermod -a -G wheel name
replacing 'name' with your username
Log out of the system and back in again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0