Linux Confusion

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

So tonight I tried to dual-boot Linux Mint Cinnamon and Windows 10 (unsuccessfully). I backed up my system to an external hard drive and burned a system repair disk. However, I’ve found the process to be quite confusing, and I think I have the wrong type of USB drive for the job, as it isn’t a fat32 drive.

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

So tonight I tried to dual-boot Linux Mint Cinnamon and Windows 10 (unsuccessfully). I backed up my system to an external hard drive and burned a system repair disk. However, I’ve found the process to be quite confusing, and I think I have the wrong type of USB drive for the job, as it isn’t a fat32 drive.

That shouldn't matter. i duel boot ubuntu 20.04, which if i understand it rightly is the same debian version you are running and i successfully duel boot.

However it was a careful to do list before i proceeded as windows has to have registry entries made and booted in safe mode, before the linux version could be added.

Windows did need to reinstall, as i had to turn fast booting off before i could duel boot them. It also boot my Linux version upside down when it did that. Which was a bit annoying but i got it the right way up again easily enough. Windows makes it hard on purpose to stop us from duel booting.

It is as you say quiet confusing and needs careful research before proceeding.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
With Linux the FAT32 shouldn't matter. I suspect you need to go into the UEFI and turn off secure boot and change the boot option from Operating System to Hard Drive. As Jeshu says, in Windows fast booting needs to be turned off.

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I recall Ubuntu based OS do not need Secure Boot to be disabled. Some time back I was on Linux Mint and had secure boot enabled without issue. What software did you use to make your USB install flash drive? It is possible to format any flash drive to FAT32, but am not sure how to do so from Windows 10.

My opinion: Just stick with Windows 10 for now, because you need it for school. Maybe use another second PC to experiment with Linux.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If I recall Ubuntu based OS do not need Secure Boot to be disabled. Some time back I was on Linux Mint and had secure boot enabled without issue. What software did you use to make your USB install flash drive? It is possible to format any flash drive to FAT32, but am not sure how to do so from Windows 10.

My opinion: Just stick with Windows 10 for now, because you need it for school. Maybe use another second PC to experiment with Linux.
I have a laptop I do school on, the PC is a gaming PC, though I hardly, if ever, game anymore

Upvote 0

Pop D.

Sep 23, 2020
Oklahoma
✟162,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Was the USB drive unable to boot a live session? Don't think the format of the drive should matter, unless maybe it matters to your motherboard.

Also, you might try asking at Mint's forums:

Linux Mint Forums - Index page

Ubuntu itself doesn't need it disabled, but Mint does since it doesn't have it's own Secure Boot keys as that would require paying licensing fees...to Microsoft. Not sure how you were able to get Mint to work with it enabled, but I guess Secure Boot isn't all that foolproof (as if security was actually the point of the thing).

Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟422,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What you need to do is go to www.linuxmint.com, download the iso file, and then go to www.rufus.ie and download Rufus. It will create the bootable usb drive you need to install Linux Mint Cinnamon alongside Windows 10 if that is your preference. Personally I do not dual-boot. EVER. But thats just me. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need further help!

Upvote 0