Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Evidently the Coca-Cola company does understand public pressure", files: LinkedIn Removes Racist “Be Less White” Course

The course, entitled “Confronting Racism” went viral last week, when an internal whistleblower from Coca-Cola sent Karlyn Borysenko screenshots from the course on LinkedIn Learning, and claimed that employees at the company had been forced to take it.
After facing severe backlash, Coca-Cola claimed in a statement provided to National File that the course was “not part of the company’s learning curriculum,” despite being accessible on the LinkedIn Learning platform to their employees. The statement differed from an earlier one attributed to the company, where they had confirmed that it was a part of their curriculum, but simply “not a focus” of their training

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟428,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The shoe on the other foot maybe?:rolleyes:
Right! Well it kind of does offend me a bit actually, even tho Im SJW adjacent.

I think its OK to be offended by offensive things, though half the people here seem to think nothing should offend anyone ever.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Whiteness” is academic jargon that denotes the structural privileges enjoyed by white people. It’s a valid field of sociological study, but because it’s jargon, people tend to get the wrong idea when the term is used outside of academia. It’s horrible optics to go around telling regular folks to “stop being so white.”

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟781,037.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
“Whiteness” is academic jargon that denotes the structural privileges enjoyed by white people. It’s a valid field of sociological study, but because it’s jargon, people tend to get the wrong idea when the term is used outside of academia. It’s horrible optics to go around telling regular folks to “stop being so white.”
Some would say, "Change white to a different color", and then try to explain that the concept isn't racist.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Some would say, "Change white to a different color", and then try to explain that the concept isn't racist.
Yes, that’s the main criticism it’s been receiving from people who do not understand academic jargon, which is virtually everyone.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Honestly, I just find the title kinda funny.

Are they saying I have to get rid of all my Khakis and button downs? Can I still listen to Bachman Turner overdrive? Do I have to take dance classes?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the "Evidently the Coca-Cola company does understand public pressure", files: LinkedIn Removes Racist “Be Less White” Course

The course, entitled “Confronting Racism” went viral last week, when an internal whistleblower from Coca-Cola sent Karlyn Borysenko screenshots from the course on LinkedIn Learning, and claimed that employees at the company had been forced to take it.
After facing severe backlash, Coca-Cola claimed in a statement provided to National File that the course was “not part of the company’s learning curriculum,” despite being accessible on the LinkedIn Learning platform to their employees. The statement differed from an earlier one attributed to the company, where they had confirmed that it was a part of their curriculum, but simply “not a focus” of their training
That’s mighty White of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Honestly, I just find the title kinda funny.

Are they saying I have to get rid of all my Khakis and button downs? Can I still listen to Bachman Turner overdrive? Do I have to take dance classes?
None of that. But you might want work on your baseline jumper.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, that’s the main criticism it’s been receiving from people who do not understand academic jargon,
Make that racist academic jargon.

which is virtually everyone.

It's not that nobody understands it, it's just that because it's racist, they consider it inappropriate.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,210,647.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
The title of that course seemed so poorly chosen I sometimes wonder if it was intentional in order to trigger the outrage that it did, just as it, understandably, would have if any color other than "white" were used. I mean, they had to have seen it coming. It wouldn't be very ... academic ... not to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Make that racist academic jargon.

It's not that nobody understands it, it's just that because it's racist, they consider it inappropriate.
It can easily be construed that way, yes, though it would be difficult to demonstrate racist intent or racially disparate outcomes connected to the usage of the term. We can all agree it was a very, very poor choice of words.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟239,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, that's a bit much. It's one thing to make aware and discuss people's sub-conscious cultural biases and how those might affect perceptions of other races and how that awareness might lead to more equitable treatment of people overall, but this is beyond the pale. It doesn't seem much different than telling minorities they just need to act more white to fit in.

I would dismiss both notions.

Upvote 0