Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just reading through the 1st chapter of Matthew and all the begats and I read something I never paid attention to before. Joseph, Mary's husband is a descendant of King David not Mary. So I was trying to find what Lineage Mary is from. I can't find it, even when I did a web search. So who is Mary a descendant of?

Reactions: “Paisios”

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Humble Jewish girl. Chosen before time by God!
ok, fine....that is all good in the eternal and predestined plan of Salvation....but still. I always thought Mary was from King David.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I was just reading through the 1st chapter of Matthew and all the begats and I read something I never paid attention to before. Joseph, Mary's husband is a descendant of King David not Mary. So I was trying to find what Lineage Mary is from. I can't find it, even when I did a web search. So who is Mary a descendant of?
I was always taught (though I am not learned enough to have tried to verify it), that the lineage in Matthew 1 is that from Joseph, the lineage in Luke 3 is that of Mary, which also includes King David.

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was always taught (though I am not learned enough to have tried to verify it), that the lineage in Matthew 1 is that from Joseph, the lineage in Luke 3 is that of Mary, which also includes King David.

Well not to be disrespectful but wouldn't that make Joseph and Mary related to each other by blood?

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Well not to be disrespectful but wouldn't that make Joseph and Mary related to each other by blood?
Not very closely. They were descended from different sons of David, and David was many generations removed from Mary.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah...I don’t know how closely related...King David is several generations back, and honestly, I have never really looked into it, as it (probably wrongly) has never mattered that much to me. I was just repeating what I had been taught, so think of my reply more as something to research as a possibility, rather than something that had already been shown to be true.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah...I don’t know how closely related...King David is several generations back, and honestly, I have never really looked into it, as it (probably wrongly) has never mattered that much to me. I was just repeating what I had been taught, so think of my reply more as something to research as a possibility, rather than something that had already been shown to be true.
14 generations from David to the captivity in Babylon and fourteen from the Babylonia captivity to Jesus.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well I have to confess that I have for years shared with people struggling in their walk with God and one of my favorite stories was of King David and how he murdered a man to have his wife. But after repentance God considered David a man after His own heart....and this is the man that Our Lord and Savior lineage from his mother came from....
Oh NOOOOO....lol....I don't know where I got that....Sunday School or something...but I have always thought Mary was a descendant of King David. So when I read this in Matthew I was like...oh no...Forgive me Lord if I erred in the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is what Wikipedia has to say about it:

“The New Testament provides two accounts of the genealogy of Jesus, one in the Gospel of Matthew and another in the Gospel of Luke. Matthew's starts with Abraham, while Luke begins with Adam. The lists are identical between Abraham and David, but differ radically from that point. Traditional Christian scholars (starting with the historian Eusebius[1]) have put forward various theories that seek to explain why the lineages are so different,[2] such as that Matthew's account follows the lineage of Joseph, while Luke's follows the lineage of Mary. Some modern biblical scholars such as Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan see both genealogies as inventions, to bring the Messianic claims into conformity with Jewish criteria.[3]

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
ok, fine....that is all good in the eternal and predestined plan of Salvation....but still. I always thought Mary was from King David.

There is a tradition in early christianity that Mary is also of the lineage of King David. The gospel lineages is about Joseph.

• Informative
Reactions: Heart2Soul
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
By Jewish Law---Jesus was the Son of Joseph because he was married to Mary at the time of His birth. And it was so even in this country up until a few years ago that legally, the father of a child was whomsoever was married to the woman that has the child---even if it is another man's baby.
Jewish law also dictates that what determines whether one is Jewish is what the mother is---if the mother is Jewish--the child is, regardless of what the father is. Some are trying to challenge that today. Jesus was Jewish by His mother. It was her that gave Him His humanity. Being that He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, God is His Father and therefore is indeed a High Priest after the order of Melchisedec as the priesthood was passed from father to son.. So---Joseph is the legal father and his geneology goes to David. Technically---it doesn't matter what the genealogy of Mary is as Joseph was the legal father and that is the genealogy that must be followed.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

From very early in Christianity there have been several solutions to resolving the differences in genealogy. Africanus suggested a solution involving Levirate marriage (NPNF2-01. Eusebius Pamphilius: Church History, Life of Constantine, Oration in Praise of Constantine - Christian Classics Ethereal Library), see also Deut 25:5-10. The current most popular solution is that one genealogy is Mary's the other is Joseph's.

Maybe. Certainly can't rule either out.

There are some other solutions as well. One would be that we simply have two different genealogies from two separate and very early Christian traditions. Most curious to me is that Luke's genealogy doesn't go through Solomon, but instead goes through Nathan, who never ruled as far as we know. I think this may be a key in understanding the two separate traditions.

Matthew's seems obvious and easy - Jesus is a descendant of David though Solomon and the rulers of Judah. The tradition Matthew had was that the coming messiah would be king, a descendant of David through Solomon. Luke seems to have access to a different tradition where the messiah might come through a descendant of David - Nathan. Though this view seems to have been, and still is, a minority view, it's not without a little warrant:

Zech 12:10 “I will pour out on the kingship of David and the population of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication so that they will look to me, the one they have pierced. They will lament for him as one laments for an only son, and there will be a bitter cry for him like the bitter cry for a firstborn. 12:11 On that day the lamentation in Jerusalem will be as great as the lamentation at Hadad-Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo. 18 12:12 The land will mourn, clan by clan – the clan of the royal household of David by itself and their wives by themselves; the clan of the family of Nathan by itself and their wives by themselves; 12:13 the clan of the descendants of Levi by itself and their wives by themselves; and the clan of the Shimeites by itself and their wives by themselves – 12:14 all the clans that remain, each separately with their wives.”

Interestingly, all of the names in this list appear in Luke's genealogy. There also seems to have been a tradition that said that David's son Nathan was none other than the prophet Nathan in 2 Sam (ANF06. Fathers of the Third Century: Gregory Thaumaturgus, Dionysius the Great, Julius Africanus, Anatolius, and Minor Writers, Methodius, Arn - Christian Classics Ethereal Library).

We also have a sliver of a hint that this tradition existed in Judaism at a later time:

See Sefer Zerubbabel

In any case, it may be that Matthew and Luke each had different traditions as to the origin of the messiah. One was that he would come through the royal line of David-Solmon, the other that he would come though the royal-prophetic line of David-Nathan. The genealogies they have each connect Jesus to these lineage traditions.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thw whole point is Mary's lineage is of David through the priestly levite lineage. While the lineage of Joseph is of the Royal lineage. Sometimes its said Luke's geneaolgy represents Mary's line.
That Mary is of the levite priestly lineage is still held by Eastern Christianity.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thw whole point is Mary's lineage is of David through the priestly levite lineage. While the lineage of Joseph is of the Royal lineage. Sometimes its said Luke's geneaolgy represents Mary's line.
That Mary is of the levite priestly lineage is still held by Eastern Christianity.

But Luke's genealogy doesn't go through Levi - it goes through Judah. If he's trying to show Levite heritage, then he missed the mark pretty badly.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is possible that Mary was related to the priesthood, as her cousin Elizabeth had married a priest.

There is a Christian tradition that Mary was a seamstress who worked on the accouterments of the Temple (garments, curtains, etc.) Jewish tradition DOES speak of Temple virgins who performed these duties.

http://taylormarshall.com/2011/12/did-jewish-temple-virgins-exist-and-was.html

• Informative
Upvote 0

Victory123

Jan 12, 2018
Albany County
✟19,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Luke 3:23 is where Miriam's(Mary's) lineage is revealed. Mary's Father's name was Heli.
Luke 3:23
The Genealogy of Jesus Christ
23 Now Jesus Himself began His ministry at about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, the son of Heli,
This means when called the son of Joseph- it is supposed by all. Then says son of Heli, this means though he is presumed the son of Joseph by all, he is the son of Heli, meaning lineage. This therefore, is how He is the Son of David and seed of Jacob and it is through His Mother that he is by flesh. This will give greater understanding of Jacob's ladder. For it is in Mary that the promise to Abraham is fulfilled. This is clear in scripture:

Mary’s geneaology
Mary Heli Matthat Levi Melchi Janna Joseph Mattathiah (Mattathias) Amos Nahum Esli Naggai Maath Mattathiah (Mattathias) Semei Joseph Judah Joannas (Joanna) Rhesa Zerubbabel Shealtiel Neri Melchi Addi Cosam Elmodam Er Jose Eliezer Jorim Matthat Levi Simeon Judah Joseph Jona Eliakim Melea Menan Mattathah Nathan KING DAVID Jesse Obed Boaz Salmon Nahshon Amminadab Ram Hezron Perez Judah Jacob Isaac ABRAHAM Terah Nahor Serug Reu Peleg Eber Shelah Cainan Arphaxad Shem NOAH Lamech Methuselah Enoch Jared Mahalalel (Mahalaleel) Cainan Enosh (Enos) Seth ADAM (created by God).
His adopted father's lineage:
Matthew 1:1-17
The Genealogy of Jesus Christ
1 The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, the Son of Abraham:

2 Abraham begot Isaac, Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot Judah and his brothers. 3 Judah begot Perez and Zerah by Tamar, Perez begot Hezron, and Hezron begot Ram. 4 Ram begot Amminadab, Amminadab begot Nahshon, and Nahshon begot Salmon. 5 Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab, Boaz begot Obed by Ruth, Obed begot Jesse, 6 and Jesse begot David the king.

David the king begot Solomon by her who had been the wife of Uriah. 7 Solomon begot Rehoboam, Rehoboam begot Abijah, and Abijah begot Asa.8 Asa begot Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat begot Joram, and Joram begot Uzziah. 9 Uzziah begot Jotham, Jotham begot Ahaz, and Ahaz begot Hezekiah. 10 Hezekiah begot Manasseh, Manasseh begot Amon, and Amon begot Josiah. 11 Josiah begot Jeconiah and his brothers about the time they were carried away to Babylon.

12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jeconiah begot Shealtiel, and Shealtiel begot Zerubbabel. 13 Zerubbabel begot Abiud, Abiud begot Eliakim, and Eliakim begot Azor. 14 Azor begot Zadok, Zadok begot Achim, and Achim begot Eliud. 15 Eliud begot Eleazar, Eleazar begot Matthan, and Matthan begot Jacob. 16 And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations, and from the captivity in Babylon until the Christ are fourteen generations.

THEREFORE BY FLESH AND ADOPTION HE IS A DESCENDANT of King David, but by flesh through MARY.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0