Limited Atonement Refuted

R

Robert Pate

There is nothing in the bible about a limited atonement. The term "limited atonement" is foreign to the Bible. There is much scripture about an unlimited atonement. That is that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. listed below are some of the scriptures that refutes the idea that Jesus Christ only died for some and not all.

John 1:9, "The true light that lights EVERY MAN that comes into the WORLD."

John 1:29, "Behold the Lamb of God which takes away the sins of the WORLD."

John 3:16, "For God so loved the WORLD that he gave his only begotten Son."

John 6:33, "For the bread of God is he that comes down from heaven and gives life into the WORLD."

John 6:51, "The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the WORLD."

John 12:46, "I am come a light into the WORLD that whosoever believes in me should not abide in darkness."

John 12:47, "I came not to judge the WORLD but to save the WORLD."

Romans 5:18, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."

Romans 8:32, "He that spared not his Son but delivered him up FOR US ALL."

2 Corinthians 5:14, "For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that if one died FOR ALL, then we are ALL dead."

1 Timothy 1:15, "That Christ Jesus came into the WORLD to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

1 Timothy 2:5-6, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ who gave himself a ransome FOR ALL."

Hebrews 2:9, "That he by the grace of God should taste death FOR EVERY MAN."

Hebrews 10:10, "By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus once FOR ALL."

1 John 2:2, "And he is a propitiation for our sins, and not ours only, but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD."

1 John 4:14, "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the savior of the WHOLE WORLD."

John Calvin in his attempt to build a doctrine based upon predestination ran into a huge road block when it came to limited atonement.

student ad x

Senior Contributor
Feb 20, 2009
just outside the forrest
✟29,077.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Once again Pate, redemption is particular to those who believe, and the beneficiaries in the cross work of Christ are: “The house of Israel, the house of Judah,” - the church/“true Israel” [Jer. 31:31; Luke 22:20; Heb. 9:15]; his “people” [Matt. 1:21]; his “friends” [John 15:13]; his “sheep” [John 10:11, 15]; his “body,” the “church” [Eph. 5:23–26; Acts 20:28]; the “elect” [Rom. 8:32–34]; the “many” [Isa. 53:12; Matt. 20:28; 26:28; Mark 10:45]; “us” [Tit. 2:14]; and “me” [Gal. 2:20].

(copied from myself on another forum)

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing in the bible about a limited atonement. The term "limited atonement" is foreign to the Bible. There is much scripture about an unlimited atonement. That is that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. listed below are some of the scriptures that refutes the idea that Jesus Christ only died for some and not all.

John 1:9, "The true light that lights EVERY MAN that comes into the WORLD."

John 1:29, "Behold the Lamb of God which takes away the sins of the WORLD."

John 3:16, "For God so loved the WORLD that he gave his only begotten Son."

John 6:33, "For the bread of God is he that comes down from heaven and gives life into the WORLD."

John 6:51, "The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the WORLD."

John 12:46, "I am come a light into the WORLD that whosoever believes in me should not abide in darkness."

John 12:47, "I came not to judge the WORLD but to save the WORLD."

Romans 5:18, "Even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life."

Romans 8:32, "He that spared not his Son but delivered him up FOR US ALL."

2 Corinthians 5:14, "For the love of Christ constrains us; because we thus judge, that if one died FOR ALL, then we are ALL dead."

1 Timothy 1:15, "That Christ Jesus came into the WORLD to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

1 Timothy 2:5-6, "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ who gave himself a ransome FOR ALL."

Hebrews 2:9, "That he by the grace of God should taste death FOR EVERY MAN."

Hebrews 10:10, "By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus once FOR ALL."

1 John 2:2, "And he is a propitiation for our sins, and not ours only, but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD."

1 John 4:14, "And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the savior of the WHOLE WORLD."

John Calvin in his attempt to build a doctrine based upon predestination ran into a huge road block when it came to limited atonement.

Refuted? that depends on how you define "limited atonement" I think we both agree that Jesus's death did not remove the sins of the world,(Unless your a universalist!) his death didn't save everyone either. So, the benefits of Christ's death were only received by some individuals(call them Christians, or the elect if you like). Thus the atonement that was provided by Jesus was limited. Bam! limited atonement! Basically, what limited atonement says is "Not everyone will be saved, and who ever is going to be saved some day, (the elect), will someday be saved, those who will someday be saved, are the only ones who receive the atonement, thus the atonement is limited to the elect." simple as that.

As for the "The term Limited atonement is not in the Bible" argument, remember,"trinity" is not in the bible either ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

muldoon

The question that always begs to be asked when this sort of thing comes up is: then why are not all men saved?

But that just opens another can of worms I suppose.

All men are not saved because God desires that most will be lost. He has ordained eternally that a few will be saved, and the rest be damned irrevocably, all for the praise of His glory.

Upvote 0
A

Anoetos

All men are not saved because God desires that most will be lost. He has ordained eternally that a few will be saved, and the rest be damned irrevocably, all for the praise of His glory.
I would hesitate before saying that God desires the damnation of the reprobate. I think we need to be careful when we ascribe things to God that Scripture does not clearly show us, though I admit that this does seem to be a valid inference.

Being essentially infralapsarian I prefer to speak in terms of a just and universal death and damnation hanging over the whole of mankind with a merciful and gracious God extending salvation to some.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Robert Pate

<staff edit>

Paul said to the Galatians, "Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (because you did something) or by the hearing of faith (hearing and believing the gospel) Galatians 3:2.

The Gospel can only be understood in the background of the Old Testament. The Old Testament is a record of man's failure to please a Holy God. Man is a hopless sinner. If man is to be saved salvation must come to him completely outside of himself. It has in the person of Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:19 says..."For as by one man's disobedience (Adam) many were MADE sinners, so as by the obedience of one (Christ) many shall be MADE righteous."

Here is the Gospel. Jesus Christ as the new or second Adam has offered everything to God that the law requires. He is our righteousness. By his death on the cross he has atoned for the sins of the world. 1 John 2:2. Jesus Christ is our representative. All that he does, he does for us, in our name and on our behalf. It is his life and his death that justifies us and makes us right with God. He is our savior, doing for us that which we cannot do for ourselves.

When God accepted Jesus back into heaven we were accepted in him. Its over, its finished, we have been MADE perfect and complete in him, Colossians 2:10.

<staff edit> God in the person of Jesus Christ has reconciled the world unto himself. All who embrace this Gospel are endowed with the Holy Spirit and are "In Christ." Colossians 3:1.

<staff edit> He saves you by doing for you that which you cannot do for yourself. <staff edit>. God in the person of Jesus Christ has overcome and has defeated sin, death and the devil. Because he is victorious God has made Jesus both Lord and Christ.

<staff edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Charis kai Dunamis

χάρις καὶ δύναμις
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
✟12,654.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is no scripture to confirm that. There are multiple scriptures that say Jesus is the savior of the wholeworld.

Do you believe that, in the end, Jesus will "save" the entire world?

In Revelation, it sounds to me like He comes back and slaughters a lot of people. I don't know if that is considered "being saved" for you though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
R

Robert Pate

Do you believe that, in the end, Jesus will "save" the entire world?

In Revelation, it sounds to me like He comes back and slaughters a lot of people. I don't know if that is considered "being saved" for you though.

Jesus has already saved the whole world.

The only thing that will keep some out of heaven is unbelief. Sin, death and the devil are history. Do you believe that?

Upvote 0

Charis kai Dunamis

χάρις καὶ δύναμις
Dec 4, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
✟12,654.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Jesus has already saved the whole world.

The only thing that will keep some out of heaven is unbelief. Sin, death and the devil are history. Do you believe that?

No, I don't believe that. Clearly those at the final judgment will be judged for their deeds, not only their unbelief. That is clear in Rev 20:12. Sin is what separates, and is what will separate the non-elect from God.

Upvote 0