lights dimmed in a church service....

Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Note the lights were turned down for ambiance...

phoca_thumb_l_295234_10150638175102047_103169312046_9624802_626913183_n.jpg
Since Jesus is the LIGHT of the world, why not turn up the lights?

There's something peculiar that so many churches over the past few
years are wanting to do things in the dark... is there a problem with having light???

Just askin
didn't want to answer this post in the original thread and take the thread MORE off-topic.... so here is my reply....

the early church lighting was candlelight.... therefore waaaaaaaaay dimmer than the lighting in churches today.....
JESUS sat in those settings.... and HE never once rebuked them for their propensity towards darkness....

so the ambiance that we have in churches today when we turn down the lights.... is "lighter" than the ambiance in JESUS' day....

the churches today use large projector screens to help with worship services.... and the lights MUST be turned down to allow the screen to be seen....

Reactions: PastorMike
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I was in Albania (and it also happened to me in Africa) the electric kept going off and I had to preach in total (and I mean total) darkness...
talk about "ambiance".... LOL....

one thing i like to do is..... listen to the WORD with my eyes closed to block out all sights and distraction.... i can focus better on listening..... and soaking..... in the fullness of the WORD.....

same with worship and prayer.... i love to worship and pray with my eyes closed.... i can "see" the ONE i love..... better.... when there is nothing else to distract me....

love.... prayers.... blessings.....

Upvote 0

Shepherd1

In Service To The Lord
Oct 20, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟19,138.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
When I was in Albania (and it also happened to me in Africa) the electric kept going off and I had to preach in total (and I mean total) darkness...

LOL I am sure it was perfect! After all, JESUS IS THE LIGHT AMEN! ^_^^_^^_^ And wherever Jesus is, the darkness JUST has to flee! :bow::bow::bow:

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

ya know, sometimes satan is just sooo stupid that way, to imagine that a little thing like not having electricity would be able to stop the Holy Spirit.

he's tried that in our church too...generators went out on Easter Sunday morning a couple of years ago. We always have a guitarist playing an acoustic guitar along with the church band just for that circumstance. so she palyed, the drummer drummed, and we sang from memory. We opened the doors for some fresh air, called the electric company, and our pastor preached well! By second service everything was operational again.

that's not even the first time something like that has happened.

before our church was built, when we were still in the process of getting all the required permits and changes done, our pastor had to go to several meetings of the city council to get everything approved. these were public meetings where anyone with land surrounding our plot could come and ask questions or protest against the zoning changes that were needed.

One night there was a lady who owned vacant land across the street from where our church would be. She was protesting the zoning change from rural to commercial because she didn't want anything to be built across the street from her, she especially didn't want a church going up, and she was very vocal and adament about her objections to our church, our pastor, etc.

right in the middle of her rant the electric went out in the building, so the council meeting was adjourned until the electric could be restored.

When it came back on, the chairman asked if anyone else had any objections to the church building on that land, and there were no other objections. once again God trumped satan, both the town mayor and his wife joined our church, and both have been healed of cancer since then.

And this Easter Sunday, 10 years after that council meeting, we had over 3,000 people attending service at the church that she objected to, 78 people were saved, and they were praising God.:bow:

Upvote 0

pastorzzub

Apr 19, 2012
✟7,636.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was once preaching in Ghana, and the lights went out across the whole town. I was in a room with walls but no ceiling. It was 2am and it was pitch black. Someone brought me a lantern (i.e. a candle in a jam jar) and I kept preaching...

But I was now the magnet for beasties and bugs from about a 5 mile radius. I was in African dress and there was a dragonfly looking thing that got inside my top...

I just walked away from the lantern, it was pitch darkness, took my top off, kept preaching, shook the beastie out, put top back on and kept going.

The sick were healed, lives were changed. You can't stop me, I'm the Word-of-God man!

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0