Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Do you have BYU TV as part of your cable or satellite package?

At one point they were showing pre-recorded sacrament meetings on Sunday mornings. The actual communion portion and the congregational business were excised for time, but you still had the talks being given.

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

Back at the time Joseph Smith allegedly said that, newspapers all over the US were publishing a report claiming that life had been identified on the moon.

Generally speaking---a prophet of God gets his information from God. JS declared his information came from God, not the newspapers. God pretty well ignores newspapers, seeing as His information consists of truth.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
The posters that answer things here and make posts -- believe it or not -- are NOT the only ones being addressed in this Debate Other Religions & Faiths forum. The format here, as I understand it, is that threads may be started by a regular Nicene Christian, addressing the beliefs of what CF deems as a non-Christian group; and that members of that non-Christian group may post in answer to the topic.

In the case of LDS, there are a handful of Mormons here; they are "defending their religion" (as is their right) -- I would think it futile to try to "change their minds"...

The readers of these threads who may never actually post in them themselves have the opportunity to see the rather outlandish claims (IMO) of Mormon writings, see the attempts at defending them by today's Mormons, and can make a decision on this BOM and related JS writings -- a decision based on info that may be completely new to them -- iow, they may be much like me when I came here (relatively ignorant of BOM and how it itself claims to have come to us).

I have seen things in this forum about LDS that completely blow my mind as to their ridiculousness and absurdity. I grow more astonished with each passing day that there are 16 million followers of this stuff, or whatever the number is.

But it is the UNSEEN POTENTIAL READERS of these threads here that are present in my mind as ones who can benefit from being exposed to the false claims of Joseph Smith.

I am NOT trying to "proseletize" Jane_Doe or Ironhold, that would be futile.

The unknown (to me) and unnamed members of the board who may be getting their first exposure to some of the outlandish claims I am talking about -- these are "the people that matter" imo.

So, it is not just "making fun of Mormons to be making fun" -- it is sort of like what drstevej was getting at -- pointing out the ingredients of the Snake Oil to those that don't know that much about it
So who made the Sun and the Moon?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Brigham Young

What up with the inhabitants of the sun? Must need some high SPF sunscreen.
When do we earthbound folk get our planet "Celestialized"?

Which is preferable life on the moon or sun?
Who made the sun and the moon? How was it done?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormonism is a false religion that presents a false gospel. Would you be upset if a Doctor told you that you had a terminal disease and unless you receive the only antidote you will die a grusome death? If he ridiculed your ineffective home remedies to get your attention would you still continue to trust in snake-oil rubs?
The gospel itself is the same, however the doctrine is different.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Generally speaking---a prophet of God gets his information from God. JS declared his information came from God, not the newspapers. God pretty well ignores newspapers, seeing as His information consists of truth.
Did Joseph Smith state that the moon was inhabited, and that it's inhabitants were dressed like Quakers?
This is not a quote from Joseph Smith, but rather a late, third-hand account of something that Joseph is supposed to have said

The source for this claim is not Joseph Smith himself; the first mention comes in 1881 in Oliver B. Huntington's journal, who claimed that he had the information from Philo Dibble. So, we have a late, third-hand account of something Joseph is supposed to have said.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The gospel itself is the same, however the doctrine is different.

Jesus Christ is not just a man, He is God in flesh. The Triune God. This, for example, is part of the Gospel message, because Christ could not have raised again if He was not God. He could not have saved mankind from sin.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ is not just a man, He is God in flesh. The Triune God. This, for example, is part of the Gospel message, because Christ could not have raised again if He was not God. He could not have saved mankind from sin.
Yes Jesus Christ is God, not just a man, however that is part of the doctrine, the gospel is the good news. The good news is that through the atonement of Jesus Christ our sins can be forgiven and we can return back to our Father. Therefore we are to repent of our sins and follow Jesus Christ who was lifted up on the cross. It is the gospel of love.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
LDS 100% agree that Christ was not just a man, but also the 100% divine Son of God, whom literally rose from the grave on the third day. He died for our sins, that we might be saved by His grace.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
LDS 100% agree that Christ was not just a man, but also the 100% divine Son of God, whom literally rose from the grave on the third day. He died for our sins, that we might be saved by His grace.
Oh okay Mormon missionary had told me they didn't believe in the Trinity, that Jesus was God. I think I will just read this thread. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

Jesus Christ is not the grandson of some other divine being that had once been human and became a god. He is the ONE AND ONLY Son of God the Father (who never had a father or a mother but always was God)---Jesus was without a heavenly mother! Jesus Christ was never human before his incarnation. Jesus Christ is the Creator of everything from nothing-- including Lucifer, Lucifer was never His bother but His Maker. Jesus was never married---and He declared there is no marriage in heaven. Jesus Christ died for everyone, not a select few.You believe in and preach a different Jesus.

2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
2Co_11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
2Co 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Oh okay Mormon missionary had told me they didn't believe in the Trinity, that Jesus was God. I think I will just read this thread. :D
The LDS disagreement with the Trinity is a subtle thing. Mormons and Nicene Christians both believe:

The Father is 100% divine.
The Son of God, Jesus Christ is 100% divine.
The Holy Spirit is 100% divine.
The Father, Son, and Spirit are all without beginning nor end.
The Father is not the Son, nor vice verse. Neither of them are the Spirit.
The Father, Son, and Spirit together are 1 God.

The difference comes in:
Mormons believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through unity.
Nicene Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through consubstantiality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Christ is not the grandson of some other divine being that had once been human and became a god. He is the ONE AND ONLY Son of God the Father (who never had a father or a mother but always was God)---Jesus was without a heavenly mother! Jesus Christ was never human before his incarnation. Jesus Christ is the Creator of everything from nothing-- including Lucifer, Lucifer was never His bother but His Maker. Jesus was never married---and He declared there is no marriage in heaven. Jesus Christ died for everyone, not a select few.You believe in and preach a different Jesus.

2Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
2Co_11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.
2Co 11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
2Co 11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
You said: "Jesus Christ is not the grandson of some other divine being that had once been human and became a god."
How did you come to that conclusion?

You said: "He is the ONE AND ONLY Son of God the Father (who never had a father or a mother but always was God)"
Correction, He is the only Son of God in the flesh, we are all children of God. Eve is in the image of God, but not God the Father. We are Christ's brothers and sisters:
(New Testament | Matthew 23:8)

8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

You said: Jesus Christ is the Creator of everything from nothing

That is contrary to the laws of the universe and is not Biblical. The word created does not mean out of nothing:
(Old Testament | Genesis 1:27)

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
(Old Testament | Genesis 2:7)

7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The LDS disagreement with the Trinity is a subtle thing. Mormons and Nicene Christians both believe:

Once again, Heavenly Mother is curiously absent.......

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
We do believe that Jesus is God, we don't believe in the Trinity as it is defined.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm LISTENING, Jane, I just don't AGREE...

You said:

"Mormons and Nicene Christians both believe:

The difference comes in:
Nicene Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through co-substantiation."

There is no such thing as "co-substantiation", and consubstantiation, if that is what you were trying to say, deals with a view of the Lord's Supper that denies a Real Presence.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I'm LISTENING, Jane, I just don't AGREE...

You said:

"Mormons and Nicene Christians both believe:

The difference comes in:
Nicene Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through co-substantiation."

There is no such thing as "co-substantiation", and consubstantiation, if that is what you were trying to say, deals with a view of the Lord's Supper that denies a Real Presence.
You said: "Nicene Christians believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are 1 God through co-substantiation." However when you ask them if they really believe this that the Father and Son both have bodies of flesh and bones they deny that they are of the same substance, go figure.

Upvote 0