• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Liberals, why do you believe people are entitled to the work of others?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by ChristJudgeOfAll, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan Volkes

Jan Volkes Well-Known Member

+230
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Please show me what you are talking about.
    You don't like what I said because you are a republican and you know it's the truth, republicans can be bought and you know it.
    Don't worry about it because the republican party are a joke at the moment so it doesn't make much difference what they do.

2. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    Funny or not, without a pooling of money for the common infrastructure, prisons, police, fire and military (and all the rest) would leave each individual to pay for each and every part which is now paid through taxes. Sure there is some waste and theft, but there will always be waste and theft and in the end the end user pays.

You want privatization of everything, you post examples to make your point....after all, it was your point.

3. Jan Volkes

Jan Volkes Well-Known Member

+230
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Don't you think that everyone feels the same way as you do about some things? we live in democracies and we all have a vote, our votes do not always give us the government we would like but that's just the way it is, you either live with that fact or leave and go live somewhere else, what you don't do is work secretly to bring the government you don't like down because that won't do anyone any good.

4. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,981
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Why do people who want to eliminate taxation and government think they will get utopia not Somalia?

5. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+5,051
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Yeah. I did it on the INTERNET too. Something that's never been done before. Underinformed, unconvincing posts regarding an a topic on a discussion forum. And I feel really bad about it.

Is the OP a sock of yours cause this would be the second time you are trying to explain what the OP meant.

And that's where you're wrong. I'm not trying to persuade any one with my posts on this thread; that was my intent. Why is that a fail? You seem to be failing much harder; trying to convince me that I should be providing a "logical and rational argument" and getting no where with no chance of it happenning on the horizon. I'd suggest you give up, in fact, cause it won't happen.

Wait, what? Really?

6. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    I am quite familiar with the content of your posts in this forum, your modus operandi is to make broad, generalized, indeed stereotyped statements about Republicans and conservatives.

The post you made which inspired my satirical and cynical comment is nothing more than a generalized and stereotyped statement. One need read only your posts and thread titles and thread topics for the evidence of your generalized and stereotyped statements of Republicans and conservatives.

Now before you make the error accusing me of being partisan and defensive of Republicans and conservatives, any number of posters here will tell you I have criticized conservatives and Republicans in this forum.

7. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Thank you for confessing, unashamed, that you will not be making any arguments, logical or otherwise.

Oh, and let's recall you tried, but failed, to use the opening post to justify the conspicuous lack of any argument made by yourself. When the clear content of the opening post really provided you no refuge, you then just admitted you aren't going to make any argument. Could have just said from the beginning you do not make arguments but are here to just enlighten the rest of us of what you believe.

8. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,981
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Ultimately, in a democracy, consensus of the community (which is not identical to a simple majority) is how we try to resolve disagreement, yes.

9. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    greed

10. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+5,051
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Note: In THIS thread, yes. I'm honestly not being sarcastic here. I'm also not trying to be (too much of a) jerk. I'm just in a very bad headspace, too lazy to convince anyone of the intricacies of a position that feels more instinctual and righteous than actually logical or rational.

11. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Not in the U.S., as there is a notion of "tyranny of the majority" and as a result there are mechanisms to preclude tyranny of the majority. In other words, majority rule is inherently a thread to the liberties, life, and property of the people which is why majority rule is never a sufficient justification to take property from people.

12. ebia

ebia Senior Contributor

+1,981
    Anglican
    Married
    AU-Greens
    Funding healthcare
    Education
    Police
    Justice system

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  13. SnowyMacie

SnowyMacie Well-Known Member

+5,930
    United States
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    I believe we have an obligation to take care of those who are less fortunate.

If it was a common enough belief where enough people got elected into power that did believe it, it would.

14. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+3,307
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others

Anarchists are not looking for a utopia any more than conservatives are. Are there really that many anarchists posting here? I don't know but those of us that are conservative and do not want to eliminate taxation or government but want to keep government from controlling every aspect of our lives do not believe in utopias.

15. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    No. Mere majority rule is not sufficient here.

16. SnowyMacie

+5,930
    United States
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    Re-read what I wrote. I described a republic, not a democracy.

17. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    First of all, your comment did not exclusively reference a republic as opposed to a democracy as a democracy can be a representative form of government.

Second, republic or democracy is irrelevant, the majority, consensus, whether by direct or representatives, is not sufficient enough of reason here.

18. SnowyMacie

+5,930
    United States
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    Your original claim was sufficient enough to mandate it, and last time I checked, if the majority of Congress rules on something, that's enough to mandate it (barring presidential or SCOTUS interference).

19. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    No, your statement is again incorrect as a matter of law in the U.S. and unpersuasive philosophically.

The very idea of majority rule concerned the framers and founders as they understood majority rule could trample the rights and property of people and become "tyranny of he majority." So, they expressly and specifically sought to limit majority rule with the existence of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

As I said before, the justification of a consensus or majority rule exists is not a sufficient reason, not legally or philosophically.

20. Sean611

Sean611 Lutheran (LCMS)

+118
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    We have never tried free-market health care in the U.S., only the crony capitalism that ensures big insurance stays alive and thrives (see Obamacare). I would wager that a competitive health care marketplace and health insurance marketplace would drive costs down.

Private education is leaps and bounds ahead of public education in the states. Public education is (mostly) horrible here in the states.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.