• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Liberals, why do you believe people are entitled to the work of others?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by ChristJudgeOfAll, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avid

Avid A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...

+659
    Baptist
    Married
    I may have misread that. I'll get back to that, but have about 5 things going on today. Sorry, if I misunderstood your point.

2. Jan Volkes

Jan Volkes Well-Known Member

+230
    Married
    UK-Labour
    Americans do not trust their government because they know for a fact that parts of their government is corrupt and can be bought by big business.
    If I was an American I wouldn't trust them either, which means the USA is in deep deep trouble, their only way out is a Democratic landslide that would allow them to change the way things are done in government.

The first thing to do is drive the lobby money out of US politics, with the money gone that would cut the number of republicans in half straight away.

3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,683
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Now that's a classic argument based on using guilt to make someone do something.

4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,872
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm pro-birth and pro-life. There are many of the type you speak of that say they are pro-life but are not really, they are pro-birth only. That's another subject but the philosophy is the same.

5. JustOneWay

JustOneWay :)

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    The government is not using guilt, they are using law.

You should have just said that you want to have the right to say - no, I won't help you.

6. NotreDame

NotreDame Domer Supporter

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Maybe they do not concur with your belief to "help someone" is the "right thing to do." As I told you previously, your mere belief is hardly persuasive.

7. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    Thanks for quoting, or perhaps plagiarizing, a talk point straight from page 9 of the left wing propaganda and talking points memo.

8. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,683
    Non-Denom
    Single
    How about not putting words in my mouth, ok?

9. Avid

Avid A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...

+659
    Baptist
    Married
    We see these things come up all the time. If all you do is help people who need help, they would come out of the woodwork to ask for stuff. That is what we have now, and it is unfathomable that this is not seen as the real problem we face as a nation. There is more and more PUSH to do that all the time and only.

I was discussing this on a different website a few years ago, and someone said that if we could just come up with a billion dollars, we could end world poverty!!! The US has spent a billion on this per year for a while, and there are more in poverty now. We started the War on Poverty in the '60s, and it is worse, not better!

10. JustOneWay

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    You don't want to have the right? I guess now you have me all confused. You don't want the government to force you to give, and you don't want the choice for yourself.

What do you want?

11. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    When discussing the taking of an individual's income and giving he portion of someone else's income to another individual is going to require a compelling justification, and your mere belief it is the right thing to do isn't compelling.

12. JustOneWay

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
  13. NotreDame

+1,486
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Others
    You do realize the commentary in the opening post is not exclusively referencing the rich or exclusively applicable to the rich? The comments in the opening post are applicable to those who aren't rich, rendering your obsession with the rich in your post above an insufficient and inadequate response.

14. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,683
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Show me where I said that and we'll discuss it. Otherwise....:rolleyes:

15. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,683
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Apparently, that's exactly what they wanted. Otherwise, they wouldn't brag about it:
    https://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2015/...-about-46-5-million-americans-on-food-stamps/

16. JustOneWay

+6,179
    Lutheran
    Private
    Forgive me for assuming. Then you have no problem with the government collecting taxes and helping the poor, correct?

17. morningstar2651

morningstar2651 Senior Veteran

+2,265
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    Income equality isn't necessarily a good thing, but it's preferable to extreme income inequality which is bad and what we currently have and are currently making worse.
    1. Economic inequality can give wealthier people an unacceptable degree of control over the lives of others.
    2. Economic inequality can undermine the fairness of political institutions.
    3. Economic inequality undermines the fairness of the economic system itself.
    I never suggested that my goal was income equality, rather that my goal was to mitigate flaws in the system that reinforce income inequality. I'm talking about keeping the system in check instead of letting it break past the tipping point.

18. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,872
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Many of us distrust our elected officials on both sides. I became totally convinced when the SCOTUS gave corporations personhood for campaign contributions. It was the conservative members and Kennedy. Kennedy who usually sides with the liberal justices. That convinced me that there are very wealthy and powerful people in charge of our government and our courts.
    The only Dem. that I currently trust to say what he really believes, is Bernie Sanders. At one time I would have included one of the Dems from Ohio but I can't recall her name right now, she was a Blue Dog.
    On the Rep side of those running, I haven't decided yet. I've eliminated several though, for different reasons. Trump reminds me of a Palin character only with an IQ above 90.

19. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,683
    Non-Denom
    Single
    That isn't the job of the government. That is for charities to do. As it is, the government is doing it to such a degree that it has created a class of dependents that they can count on for votes. It should never have gotten to that point.

20. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,935
    Agnostic
    Are you nutters?

"Compassion is great, I am all for rich giving to the poor, but there is no morality in taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor."

That's from the opening post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.