Liberals, why can't someone choose their race?

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
The question I asked (that you were responding to) was about race or color, not sex and gender. Care to answer the specific question I asked?
To answer your question directly, I wasn't suggesting to be black is a 'defect' (!).

Personally, I’m not convinced such behaviors exist. Yeah; on average engineers tend to be men, and Nurses tend to be women; mechanics tend to be men, and secretaries tend to be women; but that doesn’t justify a biological female identifying as male simply because she wants to be an engineer or a mechanic! Just as a black man who likes country music and hockey will not identify as a white person, or a white person who likes rap music and basketball will not identify as black, a female who prefers jeans over skirts, who prefers football over knitting should not identify as a male. Do you agree?
No. You appear to have little or no understanding of gender dysmorphia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Whether there are “genetic markers” or not, there are genetic differences with races. I’m sure we will never agree on this but it just seems to me if you are willing to accept a biological male identifying as a woman, you should be willing to accept someone identifying as a different race.

If we take someone's genome, are we able to tell what race they are? We can't.

There is not a scientific consensus on this issue.
Neurosexism: the myth that men and women have different brains

That's most talking about structural differences, it doesn't say much about functional differences. The study I linked to talks about the brain activity itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If race had no meaning, there wouldn't be all those people giving Rachael Dolezal a hard time for identifying as black
It’s called bigotry. Obama was referred to as the first African American president. I never heard him called the second Irish president, although, he was equally both.

It society and individuals who give importance to race. Scientifically it is of no import other than to show adaptation through evolution. The division of people into races is an artificial method of classification which, except for bigots, is meaningless.

Both biblically and scientifically we are all descended from the same original ancestors. Unfortunately, it is religious beliefs that have lead to racism in some.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That doesn't mean we can use genetics to divide people up into neat categories.
C’mon Kylie; those people who would give Rachael Dolzal a hard time for identifying as a different race, but have no problem with someone identifying as a different gender aren’t doin this because race cannot be determined by taking someone’s genomes. There is another reason for this inconsistently.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Disagreeing with something you don't understand is usually a result of prejudice or bias - unless it is obviously harmful.
My point is; I understand Creationism, and I understand gender dysphoria. to assume my disagreement concerning these issues are based on a lack of understanding is a very poor argument to make.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
C’mon Kylie; those people who would give Rachael Dolzal a hard time for identifying as a different race, but have no problem with someone identifying as a different gender aren’t doin this because race cannot be determined by taking someone’s genomes. There is another reason for this inconsistently.

Maybe because she is claiming to be a part of a culture she was not raised in? I'm not familiar with her situation apart from a quick Google search.

Once again, I will say that you can't look at a person's genome and say, "This person is black and this other person is white." There are no genetic markers which allow for such division.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My point is; I understand Creationism, and I understand gender dysphoria. to assume my disagreement concerning these issues are based on a lack of understanding is a very poor argument to make.

You claim to understand creationism, yet earlier you said:

And I have little or no understanding of Creationism either; or perhaps I just don't agree with it.

So you're either lying now, or you were lying then. Which is it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
I was going by what you've posted, e.g. "I have little or no understanding of Creationism", and your apparent lack of distinction between an involuntary developmental issue and an issue of cultural choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe because she is claiming to be a part of a culture she was not raised in? I'm not familiar with her situation apart from a quick Google search.
Her sister (through adoption) is black

Once again, I will say that you can't look at a person's genome and say, "This person is black and this other person is white." There are no genetic markers which allow for such division.
And why is this important?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You claim to understand creationism, yet earlier you said:

So you're either lying now, or you were lying then. Which is it?
What is there to not understand about Creationism? You don't understand sarcasm? My point was; that my disagreement with Creationism was not due to a lack of understanding.

Upvote 0

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If race had no meaning, there wouldn't be all those people giving Rachael Dolezal a hard time for identifying as black
It only has meaning to those who judge people based on the color of their skin. That race is some how important says much about our society, none of it complimentary.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,750.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What is there to not understand about Creationism? You don't understand sarcasm? My point was; that my disagreement with Creationism was not due to a lack of understanding.

And how exactly was I meant to understand that was sarcasm? You had no emojis to indicate sarcasm, and the words you used certainly didn't convey it.

Upvote 0