• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Liberals Need Trump more than Conservatives

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Pavel Mosko, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+1,396
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    From what I can tell liberals on the board are much more fixated on Trump, than Trump's supporters. They are moved with hate for him and if he leaves politics their lives will be empty. Below is an excerpt of a Psychology of Today article on hate.

"It fills a void

Psychologist Bernard Golden, author of Overcoming Destructive Anger: Strategies That Work, believes that when hate involves participation in a group, it may help foster a sense of connection and camaraderie that fills a void in one’s identity. He describes hatred of individuals or groups as a way of distracting oneself from the more challenging and anxiety-provoking task of creating one’s own identity:

"Acts of hate are attempts to distract oneself from feelings such as helplessness, powerlessness, injustice, inadequacy and shame. Hate is grounded in some sense of perceived threat. It is an attitude that can give rise to hostility and aggression toward individuals or groups. Like much of anger, it is a reaction to and distraction from some form of inner pain. The individual consumed by hate may believe that the only way to regain some sense of power over his or her pain is to preemptively strike out at others. In this context, each moment of hate is a temporary reprieve from inner suffering."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-self-compassion/201703/the-psychology-hate

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+7,018
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  3. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+3,512
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    What do you think of the rest of the article?

4. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+9,957
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    How is this substantially different than some people on the right still focusing on Obama and co.? I don't know that hate works differently in people's brains depending on how they align politically.

5. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,417
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It's like we have all chose a sports team to root for. We can them have comradery with others who root for the same team. We don't have to give the other team any credence, because all that is important is to win at all costs. The media then gives us our talking points, so we can just mimic what they say, so we can feel safe and not have to think too much for ourselves. The few leaders that are really thinking, use this "my team" approach to politics to manipulate the mindless sports fans.
    Sorry if this sounds a bit pessimistic, but keeping up with the "news" will do that do you.

6. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Lol is this actually what you think?

7. tulc

tulc loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!

+15,991
    Christian
    Married
    ...then why don't President Trump's supporters simply ignore what everyone else says and just talk about what they want to talk about instead? Like how well he's getting the virus under control....wait....maybe not that. I know! How about how well his trade war with China is...oh wait, maybe not that either...President Trump ignoring Putin putting a bounty on American troops? No...not that either. Well...how about we discuss people who don't have nice things to say about President Trump are the real problem in America? oh yeah, that sounds like a good thing to discuss...
    tulc(because everyone knows "President Trump is the REAL victim here!") :swoon:

8. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    You're over-complicating the issue maybe, Tulc. The marshmallow principle is at work here I think - The Marshmallow Experiment and the Power of Delayed Gratification
    More money in my pocket now, more opportunities to have a go at 'those people' now, more stomping about on stage now. Tomorrow? Who cares? Things will continue as they are forever, there are no consequences, no comebacks, no such things as stuff that happens later. Trump politics is all about stuffing the marshmallows in your face right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,687
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm so tired very hearing about his behaviors and what he has done now.....

It's no wonder his parents sent him off to a military boarding school, he made them tired too.

10. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+2,534
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm thinking my life will go on just fine whenever he leaves office.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Pavel Mosko

+1,396
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Oh its not actually. But I can compare it to my most Obama demented days. I found myself after the 08 election eventually just wanting to get away from political news and enjoy nonpolitical pop culture, and surprisingly it was actually hard to do this, because TV show writers would add politics or political messages to the show, or Obama himself would do a surprise cameo on the actual show. As an example of how bad that was even Spiderman comic book went out of its way to make an Obama comic book, I don't think that sort of thing was ever done before. It was funny, I actually had a few dreams to this affect, just wanting to enjoy normal popular TV or movies until everything turns into some kind of Obama salute.

But I would contrast this to what I see on the boards, where I think lots and lots of people kind of need to actually post on Trump all the time. From what I can tell, he lives in their heads 24 x 7 and they like it that way, finding enjoyment in every little story that might embarrass him, tout one of his failures etc.

12. Pavel Mosko

+1,396
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    It was good, but more or less your typical pop psychology article. (I assume you were interested in asking because it mentioning nationalism, "respect the flag", and "fear of the other" etc.)

13. Pavel Mosko

+1,396
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    (Getting some software errors using quote feature)

@tulc

"..then why don't President Trump's supporters simply ignore what everyone else says and just talk about what they want to talk about instead?"

Most of the time I do tulc, but now that I have mentioned it I will carry on and leave you to it.

14. Pavel Mosko

+1,396
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    :) No. It's a rhetorical exaggeration but I do think it is true for some people who have made Trump a full time hobby.

15. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+10,323
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Biden wouldn't have a clue how to deal with those issues. Maybe he would send Hunter in --
    make some more money?
    M

16. Arc F1

Arc F1 Let the righteous man arise from slumber

+380
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm actually happy someone finally went against China. Go Trump.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Mountainmanbob

Mountainmanbob Goat Whisperer Supporter

+10,323
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Why?
    Does China support and want Biden back?
    Because Trump is busting their chops.

18. tulc

+15,991
    Christian
    Married
    ...or he would, like for the first one he'd probably do something like gather together a bunch of experts early on, see what they had to say and not pretend it was all just a hoax "to get him!" and for the second one he probably wouldn't have started one because he didn't have the delusional belief that "Trade wars are real easy to win" like this President did. :wave:
    tulc(just a couple of thoughts)

19. tulc

+15,991
    Christian
    Married
    thank you! I'll do my best! :oldthumbsup:
    tulc(is enjoying a very nice cup of coffee right now!) :coffee:

20. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+3,512
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Yes, the article talks about hatred not of one person but of groups, it’s more about xenophobia. Do you agree with the thugs presented in the article?