Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From what I can tell liberals on the board are much more fixated on Trump, than Trump's supporters. They are moved with hate for him and if he leaves politics their lives will be empty. Below is an excerpt of a Psychology of Today article on hate.

"It fills a void

Psychologist Bernard Golden, author of Overcoming Destructive Anger: Strategies That Work, believes that when hate involves participation in a group, it may help foster a sense of connection and camaraderie that fills a void in one’s identity. He describes hatred of individuals or groups as a way of distracting oneself from the more challenging and anxiety-provoking task of creating one’s own identity:

"Acts of hate are attempts to distract oneself from feelings such as helplessness, powerlessness, injustice, inadequacy and shame. Hate is grounded in some sense of perceived threat. It is an attitude that can give rise to hostility and aggression toward individuals or groups. Like much of anger, it is a reaction to and distraction from some form of inner pain. The individual consumed by hate may believe that the only way to regain some sense of power over his or her pain is to preemptively strike out at others. In this context, each moment of hate is a temporary reprieve from inner suffering."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-self-compassion/201703/the-psychology-hate

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From what I can tell liberals on the board are much more fixated on Trump, than Trump's supporters. They are moved with hate for him and if he leaves politics their lives will be empty. Below is an excerpt of a Psychology of Today article on hate.

"It fills a void

Psychologist Bernard Golden, author of Overcoming Destructive Anger: Strategies That Work, believes that when hate involves participation in a group, it may help foster a sense of connection and camaraderie that fills a void in one’s identity. He describes hatred of individuals or groups as a way of distracting oneself from the more challenging and anxiety-provoking task of creating one’s own identity:

"Acts of hate are attempts to distract oneself from feelings such as helplessness, powerlessness, injustice, inadequacy and shame. Hate is grounded in some sense of perceived threat. It is an attitude that can give rise to hostility and aggression toward individuals or groups. Like much of anger, it is a reaction to and distraction from some form of inner pain. The individual consumed by hate may believe that the only way to regain some sense of power over his or her pain is to preemptively strike out at others. In this context, each moment of hate is a temporary reprieve from inner suffering."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/nurturing-self-compassion/201703/the-psychology-hate
What do you think of the rest of the article?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,027.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
How is this substantially different than some people on the right still focusing on Obama and co.? I don't know that hate works differently in people's brains depending on how they align politically.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's like we have all chose a sports team to root for. We can them have comradery with others who root for the same team. We don't have to give the other team any credence, because all that is important is to win at all costs. The media then gives us our talking points, so we can just mimic what they say, so we can feel safe and not have to think too much for ourselves. The few leaders that are really thinking, use this "my team" approach to politics to manipulate the mindless sports fans.
Sorry if this sounds a bit pessimistic, but keeping up with the "news" will do that do you.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what I can tell liberals on the board are much more fixated on Trump, than Trump's supporters. (snip)
...then why don't President Trump's supporters simply ignore what everyone else says and just talk about what they want to talk about instead? Like how well he's getting the virus under control....wait....maybe not that. I know! How about how well his trade war with China is...oh wait, maybe not that either...President Trump ignoring Putin putting a bounty on American troops? No...not that either. Well...how about we discuss people who don't have nice things to say about President Trump are the real problem in America? oh yeah, that sounds like a good thing to discuss...
tulc(because everyone knows "President Trump is the REAL victim here!") :swoon:

• Winner
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...then why don't President Trump's supporters simply ignore what everyone else says and just talk about what they want to talk about instead? Like how well he's getting the virus under control....wait....maybe not that. I know! How about how well his trade war with China is...oh wait, maybe not that either...President Trump ignoring Putin putting a bounty on American troops? No...not that either. Well...how about we discuss people who don't have nice things to say about President Trump are the real problem in America? oh yeah, that sounds like a good thing to discuss...

You're over-complicating the issue maybe, Tulc. The marshmallow principle is at work here I think - The Marshmallow Experiment and the Power of Delayed Gratification
More money in my pocket now, more opportunities to have a go at 'those people' now, more stomping about on stage now. Tomorrow? Who cares? Things will continue as they are forever, there are no consequences, no comebacks, no such things as stuff that happens later. Trump politics is all about stuffing the marshmallows in your face right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"It fills a void

I'm so tired very hearing about his behaviors and what he has done now.....

It's no wonder his parents sent him off to a military boarding school, he made them tired too.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How is this substantially different than some people on the right still focusing on Obama and co.? I don't know that hate works differently in people's brains depending on how they align politically.

Oh its not actually. But I can compare it to my most Obama demented days. I found myself after the 08 election eventually just wanting to get away from political news and enjoy nonpolitical pop culture, and surprisingly it was actually hard to do this, because TV show writers would add politics or political messages to the show, or Obama himself would do a surprise cameo on the actual show. As an example of how bad that was even Spiderman comic book went out of its way to make an Obama comic book, I don't think that sort of thing was ever done before. It was funny, I actually had a few dreams to this affect, just wanting to enjoy normal popular TV or movies until everything turns into some kind of Obama salute.

But I would contrast this to what I see on the boards, where I think lots and lots of people kind of need to actually post on Trump all the time. From what I can tell, he lives in their heads 24 x 7 and they like it that way, finding enjoyment in every little story that might embarrass him, tout one of his failures etc.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What do you think of the rest of the article?

It was good, but more or less your typical pop psychology article. (I assume you were interested in asking because it mentioning nationalism, "respect the flag", and "fear of the other" etc.)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Getting some software errors using quote feature)

@tulc

"..then why don't President Trump's supporters simply ignore what everyone else says and just talk about what they want to talk about instead?"

Most of the time I do tulc, but now that I have mentioned it I will carry on and leave you to it.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
how well he's getting the virus under control
How about how well his trade war with China is

Biden wouldn't have a clue how to deal with those issues. Maybe he would send Hunter in --
make some more money?
M

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm actually happy someone finally went against China. Go Trump.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biden wouldn't have a clue how to deal with those issues. (snip)
...or he would, like for the first one he'd probably do something like gather together a bunch of experts early on, see what they had to say and not pretend it was all just a hoax "to get him!" and for the second one he probably wouldn't have started one because he didn't have the delusional belief that "Trade wars are real easy to win" like this President did. :wave:
tulc(just a couple of thoughts)

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Getting some software errors using quote feature) (snip)
Most of the time I do tulc, but now that I have mentioned it I will carry on and leave you to it.
thank you! I'll do my best! :oldthumbsup:
tulc(is enjoying a very nice cup of coffee right now!) :coffee:

• Friendly
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It was good, but more or less your typical pop psychology article. (I assume you were interested in asking because it mentioning nationalism, "respect the flag", and "fear of the other" etc.)
Yes, the article talks about hatred not of one person but of groups, it’s more about xenophobia. Do you agree with the thugs presented in the article?

Upvote 0