Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Where does the First Amendment guarantee that your freedom of speech will not have consequences?
By that token NO enumerated human right, if invoked, would prevent you or me or anyone else from being taken to the ovens. That would be a "consequence," right? And perfectly compatible with having human rights??? :doh:

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They are using their 1st Amend. rights to disagree. So I don't see that as 'hating' the 1st.
It's just sad that they hate the First Amendment so much, you know?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By that token NO enumerated human right, if invoked, would prevent you or me or anyone else from being taken to the ovens. That would be a "consequence," right? And perfectly compatible with having human rights??? :doh:
It would be an illegal consequence and as far as I know, a boycott isn't illegal?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It would be an illegal consequence and as far as I know, a boycott isn't illegal?

I was merely commenting on how misguided the proposition is which says that a person can have human and/or Constitutional rights but not be permitted to exercise them without retribution following...as though that situation actually acknowledges the reality of human rights. It doesn't.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was merely commenting on how misguided the proposition is which says that a person can have human and/or Constitutional rights but not be permitted to exercise them without retribution following...as though that situation actually acknowledges the reality of human rights. It doesn't.
I've seen retribution coming from the left and the right.

Conservatives are smashing Keurigs to defend Sean Hannity — here are the other brands that have incurred the wrath of the right.
Conservatives are smashing Keurigs to defend Sean Hannity — here are the other brands that have incurred the wrath of the right

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,108,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Swell, but I'd be interested to read something that deals with what I wrote in the post of mine that you quoted.
Yeah, sorry about that I meant to address that.

I understand what you are saying and for the most part, agree with you. One has the freedom to speak out but at the same time is it really freedom when one has to worry about retribution which at times muzzles speech.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where does the First Amendment guarantee that your freedom of speech will not have consequences?

Those guys think their freedom of speech requires you to approve what they say.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Demonstrations and boycotts are acceptable exercise of first amendment rights. Government retribution and firing is where things get questionable. I'm against employers taking action for employees expressing view they don't like. Though a policeman saying they're anxious to kill blacks seems like it's hard to ignore.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was merely commenting on how misguided the proposition is which says that a person can have human and/or Constitutional rights but not be permitted to exercise them without retribution following.

Your right to say what you want, does not include the right to demand that people won't want to disassociate with you after you say it.

Go figure.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember when presidents were respectable. That's probably it.
Well, I didn't find much or anything to respect in Clinton or Obama, but I still respected the office. But now, everything is racist, because racism is currently the only sin that is still called sin, so everyone wants to make sure they accuse everyone else of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Demonstrations and boycotts are acceptable exercise of first amendment rights. Government retribution and firing is where things get questionable. I'm against employers taking action for employees expressing view they don't like. Though a policeman saying they're anxious to kill blacks seems like it's hard to ignore.

How about a University that denies access to a student because she backs the President?

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How about a University that denies access to a student because she backs the President?
I'd need to know the situation. People are good at using provocative descriptions of actions that have reasonable explanations.

Upvote 0

Job3315

Apr 21, 2018
United States
✟89,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Remember when people used to respect presidents, even if they didn't agree with them on everything?
It's gotten ridiculous.
Right! I don't think respecting a President is about the president just as "honor your father and your mother" is not about the parents. God asked us to respect people in government and He asked us to honor our parents because if we do, then we will be able to honor God as well.

People took justice into their own hands and they completely forgot to trust God when He said not to pay evil with evil and to leave justice to Him. I think all this horrible situation is simply showing how many Americans don't really trust nor respect God,

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I didn't find much or anything to respect in Clinton or Obama,

They didn't lie nearly as much as Trump. Obama's family life is so much healthier than Trump's family. So was Clinton's for that matter; while I wouldn't want Bill Clinton living in my neighborhood, I'd rather have Bill Clinton than Donald Trump.

Clinton and Obama clearly put American and Americans first; they each inherited an economy in deep trouble, and made it strong. Trump inherited a strong economy and made it a basket case.

Stuff like that.

But now, everything is racist, because racism is currently the only sin that is still called sin

How do you figure Trump bungling the COVID-19 pandemic is "racist?" How do you figure his paying off a inappropriate content star to hide his adultery with her, "racist?" How do you figure Trump bragging about being able to get away with sexual assault, "racist?" C'mon.

Upvote 0