USA
✟12,903.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Wow, all these posts and no one has mentioned the Unitarian-Universalists? UUs are slightly different in that they don't have an actual "creed" (as in, "this is the God/gods that every UU believes in"), but they are their own faith, and in order to be a UU, you must believe in their 7 Principles (which mostly focus on equality, the inherent worth and dignity of all humans, stewardship of the earth, and respect for each individual's free search for truth and meaning). But they DEFINITELY fall under the category of "Liberal Churches", and I would go so far as to say they are probably the most liberal of the Protestant faiths. :)

Upvote 0

SeekerOfChrist94

Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm
Apr 21, 2013
Texas
✟54,920.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, all these posts and no one has mentioned the Unitarian-Universalists? UUs are slightly different in that they don't have an actual "creed" (as in, "this is the God/gods that every UU believes in"), but they are their own faith, and in order to be a UU, you must believe in their 7 Principles (which mostly focus on equality, the inherent worth and dignity of all humans, stewardship of the earth, and respect for each individual's free search for truth and meaning). But they DEFINITELY fall under the category of "Liberal Churches", and I would go so far as to say they are probably the most liberal of the Protestant faiths. :)

UU would not count as a Christian-only religion. I'm looking at just Christianity.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The most liberal Church I know is the Ethical Humanist Society. Went to a wedding there once.
I feel compelled to point out that said group isn't Christian, but non-religious. They are specifically non-theistic.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Most mainline churches tend to imbibe a great deal from the spirit of individualism and individual autonomy. This can lead to a wide variety of interpretations, both conservative and liberal. Many are also highly congregationalist, despite the official structures (the ELCA and TEC have bishops but they are both highly congregationalist, ELCA in particular).

You are going to find a lot of pro-gay churches in many of the mainline churches, but you will have to look around to find them. Likewise, the individual congregations vary on their commitment to social justice, and what practical form that takes.

Upvote 0