Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
There is an obvious, I think, rift in the Protestant Church. There are conservatives, who apparently believe the entire Bible is the inerrant Word of God. And there are liberals, who seem to believe we are bound to nothing the Bible says. Has anyone ever wondered if there is some middle ground?

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'm not protestant, but I think you forgot the nuances. Most people lean one way or the other, but few subscribe to the whole package of either liberalism or conservatism.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm not protestant, but I think you forgot the nuances. Most people lean one way or the other, but few subscribe to the whole package of either liberalism or conservatism.
You are describing a group of people who have have found a middle ground, aren't you?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
You are describing a group of people who have have found a middle ground, aren't you?

No, I think you have orthodox Christianity and you have heterodox Christianity.
There's are different levels of heterodoxy and few subscribe to all of the heresies, but some do adorse more of them than others.

We (all Christians) should stop using political terms such as conservatism and liberalism and return to the religious terms heterodox and orthodox.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
No, I think you have orthodox Christianity and you have heterodox Christianity.
There's are different levels of heterodoxy and few subscribe to all of the heresies, but some do adorse more of them than others.

We (all Christians) should stop using political terms such as conservatism and liberalism and return to the religious terms heterodox and orthodox.
But what is heterodox to one person might be orthodox to another, don't you think?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
But what is heterodox to one person might be orthodox to another, don't you think?

Within low churches perhaps, but not in say Lutheranism or in Anglicanism.
The book of common prayer is the foundation of the English church as is the case with Luther's big catechism and the creeds within lutheranism.

This is some of the frame work for those kind of believers. You cannot chose what you like and reject the rest AND still be faithful to your church.

Heterodoxy is decided upon the confession of your church and the dogmatic content within it which is to say it may very well vary among the different churches.
Still most churches recognise and commit to the 7 ecumenical councils and the creeds which in fact is quite a commitment.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Within low churches perhaps, but not in say Lutheranism or in Anglicanism.
The book of common prayer is the foundation of the English church as is the case with Luther's big catechism and the creeds within lutheranism.

This is some of the frame work for those kind of believers. You cannot chose what you like and reject the rest AND still be faithful to your church.

Heterodoxy is decided upon the confession of your church and the dogmatic content within it which is to say it may very well vary among the different churches.
Still most churches recognise and commit to the 7 ecumenical councils and the creeds which in fact is quite a commitment.
A group of high-ranking church officials can get together and create an edict, or some such thing. Is the church then obliged to obey?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is an obvious, I think, rift in the Protestant Church.
WHICH Protestant church?

There are conservatives, who apparently believe the entire Bible is the inerrant Word of God. And there are liberals, who seem to believe we are bound to nothing the Bible says. Has anyone ever wondered if there is some middle ground?

Many Protestants believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, but that there are some places in it which have mistranslations or are additions to the original manuscript, making parts--and parts only--of the Bible open to question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
A group of high-ranking church officials can get together and create an edict, or some such thing. Is the church then obliged to obey?

You touch upon some of the appearing randomness of lots of protestant theology, at least today.
This so called randomness wasn't as big of a theological problem back when all Christians shared the basic ideas of how to live a moral christian life, but now it's different.

The problem with liberals theology is that is argue from a position of emotions and it make use of people's lives as an argument to undermine Christian ethics and moral.

By emotions I refer to this kind of argument : how can you be so coldhearted as not to accept these two mens love for one another. Why do you hate love?!

The above is an example of arguing from the point of a given persons life. Often times liberals add a tad of absurdum and a tiny bit of personal characteristics and voila you've lost out, but on the wrong premises.

To answer you're question, in Protestantism it's easier to mislead the faithful gravely than its to mislead us Catholic due to our weight on the magesterium, the catechism and counciliar theology. Even in Protestantism one should weight the new doctrines to those of earlier times.

If Luther left no room for homosexual weddings then Lutherans should feel obligated to follow his line of reasoning.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
WHICH Protestant church?

Many Protestants believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, but that there are some places in it which have mistranslations or are additions to the original manuscript, making parts--and parts only--of the Bible open to question.
That complicates things when you take the position that parts of the Bible are mistranslated or added later. Suddenly, the entire Bible is thrown into question.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That complicates things when you take the position that parts of the Bible are mistranslated or added later. Suddenly, the entire Bible is thrown into question.
I know. However, there are plenty of people who do look at it the way I described or something close to that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
You touch upon some of the appearing randomness of lots of protestant theology, at least today.
This so called randomness wasn't as big of a theological problem back when all Christians shared the basic ideas of how to live a moral christian life, but now it's different.

The problem with liberals theology is that is argue from a position of emotions and it make use of people's lives as an argument to undermine Christian ethics and moral.

By emotions I refer to this kind of argument : how can you be so coldhearted as not to accept these two mens love for one another. Why do you hate love?!

The above is an example of arguing from the point of a given persons life. Often times liberals add a tad of absurdum and a tiny bit of personal characteristics and voila you've lost out, but on the wrong premises.

To answer you're question, in Protestantism it's easier to mislead the faithful gravely than its to mislead us Catholic due to our weight on the magesterium, the catechism and counciliar theology. Even in Protestantism one should weight the new doctrines to those of earlier times.

If Luther left no room for homosexual weddings then Lutherans should feel obligated to follow his line of reasoning.
I think one of the stumbling blocks in Christianity is sexual morality. The Lord taught us to be sexually chaste, and he explains what he means by that. A lot of Christians refuse to conform to these teachings.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

That's not actually the argument.

It is true, however, that as people come to know gay couples they tend to be more willing to reconsider traditional ethics. But in the end, real exegesis is needed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To answer you're question, in Protestantism it's easier to mislead the faithful gravely than its to mislead us Catholic due to our weight on the magesterium, the catechism and counciliar theology.

I doubt that. Catholics have been trained to follow unquestioningly.

If the Pope and the bishops are fighting to maintain the historic faith, then things are moving along relatively smoothly. However, all it takes is a decree changing the faith/dogmas...and that willingness to think that the church cannot be wrong brings acceptance of the change by most members. There are many examples of this happening.

That would not happen in most Protestant denominations where a full scale debate would most likely break out.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I doubt that. Catholics have been trained to follow unquestioningly.

If the Pope and the bishops are fighting to maintain the historic faith, then things are moving along relatively smoothly. However, all it takes is a decree changing the faith/dogmas...and that willingness to think that the church cannot be wrong brings acceptance of the change by most members. There are many examples of this happening.

That would not happen in most Protestant denominations where a full scale debate would most likely break out.

You may be right. I have written quite alot about the kind of believers that you refer to.
They're refered to as ultra-montanists and they do have an unhealthy "admiration" of the pope. Francis seems to attract these more than anyone before him, but that's due to his heterodoxy more than anything.

I believe it's the ultra-montanists which has triggered the creation of the term papists. Sadly it's applied to all of us.

Upvote 0