Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The most coveted prize in particle physics - the Higgs boson - may have been glimpsed, say researchers reporting at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva.
The particle is purported to be the means by which everything in the Universe obtains its mass.
Scientists say that two experiments at the LHC see hints of the Higgs at the same mass, fuelling huge excitement.
But the LHC does not yet have enough data to claim a discovery.
BBC News - LHC: Higgs boson 'may have been glimpsed'

If this is really the Higgs boson where does physics go from here?

Last edited:
N

Nabobalis

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Naraoia
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As I understand it, the Higgs being found where we think it is doesn't explain the mechanism of gravity. Physics will still need to work on that.

But identifying the Higgs will definitely win Peter Higgs and others the Nobel Prize.

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
As I understand it, the Higgs being found where we think it is doesn't explain the mechanism of gravity. Physics will still need to work on that.

But identifying the Higgs will definitely win Peter Higgs and others the Nobel Prize.

Am I the only who gets excited when we make new discoveries only find out that there are many more questions left to explore and discover behind it?

Upvote 0

Farinata

Dec 9, 2011
✟15,262.00
Faith
Atheist
Overall, super symmetry would be my guess. But from what I remember, you have other areas like parity violation in B mesons , top particle physics and the like - less speculator in their overall view but just as important.

Right. Wasn't it something like a Higgs mass of around 140 GeV wouldn't require any additional stabilization but a 126 GeV Higgs boson would? I think that's the key excitement here with the LHC announcement as there seem to be two possibilities:

1. The 2-3 sigma signal flattens out as the product of background fluctuations, the fundamental excitation of the Higgs field exists at a much higher mass (or we're wrong about it all together). Conclusion? The universe is more complicated and mysterious than we thought and we need to do more research.

2. The Higgs is identified somewhere in the 116-127 GeV range but such a mass value would require at least one more particle to exist for it to be stable in that range (super-symmetry maybe?). Conclusion? The universe is more complicated and mysterious than we thought and we need to do more research.

That's what particle physicists would call a win-win.:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Orogeny

Trilobite me!
Feb 25, 2010
✟17,090.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Am I the only who gets excited when we make new discoveries only find out that there are many more questions left to explore and discover behind it?
Absolutely not. Every scientist should feel this way. I feel this excitement on a near daily basis.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It was in the bible all along. In fact, millions were, holding it together.

iseewhatyoudidtherelost.jpg

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I love how physicists are sooooo careful about 3-sigma results. In experimental biology, never mind social sciences, that'd be way beyond reasonable doubt ^_^

I was kinda hoping that they wouldn't find the Higgs, just to shake up theoretical physics :ebil: I won't exactly complain if the little fellow is confirmed, though!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why is it that you lot were not this excited when neutrinos were observed to be traveling faster than the speed of light?
smiley-confused002.gif

If it's shown to be true I'd be far more excited with this than the Higgs being found but I'm waiting for the results to be repeated by another team. Even the team who made the neutrino experiments suspect that the FTL result is the result of an error. If it is shown to happen by another group then I'll be very very excited and will probably do a little dance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Farinata

Dec 9, 2011
✟15,262.00
Faith
Atheist
If it's shown to be true I'd be far more excited with this than the Higgs being found but I'm waiting for the results to be repeated by another team. Even the team who made the neutrino experiments suspect that the FTL result is the result of an error. If it is shown to happen by another group then I'll be very very excited and will probably do a little dance.

TITCR. If FTL neutrinos exist, that would likely be a bigger result than the Higgs. To go even further, if it turns out that this actually fundamentally breaks SR instead of being accommodated in a weird way (imaginary mass or some such) it would be on the very short list of the most important experiments done in the history of science. Would be very exciting to see but I'm not holding my breath. MUCH more likely there's some weird systematic error hanging around that they haven't found. Even something like a small change in the index of refraction of their photomultiplier tubes could cause this result.

Upvote 0