1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

LGBT conversion therapy?

Discussion in 'Exploring Christianity' started by JohnClay, Aug 11, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnClay

JohnClay Married Mouth-Breather Supporter

+176
    Australia
    Other Religion
    Married
    It looks like "conversion therapy" ("the practice of attempting to change a person's sexual orientation or gender identity") is banned in many US states.
    Legality of conversion therapy - Wikipedia
    I guess the pro-side of the topic is very "politically incorrect". I'm curious about what Christians think about it. Maybe some of you are supporters of conversion therapy or know of Christians who are. I currently don't strongly oppose it. It seems the practice is related to Christianity.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  2. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Young Fogie Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+5,643
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    I don't believe any individual should be coerced or forced to attempt to change his or her sexuality. I would oppose it for minors and others including the disabled. At the same time, I don't want a blanket ban because I believe adults who seek to change their sexual orientations and believe such practices may be helpful should be permitted to attain such services.

3. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+8,424
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Conversion therapy is a misnomer.

Some cranks used abusive tactics trying to assist sexual transition and the LGBT lobby latched on to it and pushed for a ban on giving assistance in pretty much any form to anyone wanting to transition back to their original birth gender. The churches largely sat back and let it happen. Now if a Pastor in our country is approached by someone with gender dysphoria they need to be super careful considering what support can be legally given.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+6,578
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Jesus wants all to come to conversion, regardless of their sin predilections.

5. timf

timf Regular Member

+291
    Non-Denom
    "Therapy" might be helpful for some who were abused when young and come into behavior patterns through abuse.

Romans describes those who hold the truth in unrighteousness and gives two examples. One is for those who worship the creature more than the creator. These come to homosexuality as a result of a judicial punishment from God. For these people "therapy" may not be helpful.

i heard a priest once recount a friend of his who quit the priesthood in the 1970s to go and join the homosexual culture in California. He said he had seen his friend several years later as his friend was dying of AIDS. His friend said that he was grateful the God had given him the gift of repentance.

However, one should also consider that often what is called "therapy" is less than helpful. Regardless, prayers should be offered both for those who come to this state by abuse and those who come as a result of their disregard for God.

6. DragonFox91

DragonFox91 Well-Known Member

+1,897
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    Strict bannings of it are insane & am surprised at all the ‘eh, who cares’ responses so far. A lot of parents make their kids do things they don’t want. A lot of parents take their kids to counselors for psychological help, or help with issues. Why on earth should this be any different? If it doesn’t work, big deal. It shouldn’t scar the kid any & anyone who thinks it would is still living in a society 20-30 years ago; society is VERY acceptable of the community today & if you're scarred for life b/c 'someone took you to some place where they tried to change you', you haven't lived much of life, honestly, (I hope this doesn't get me banned here) & therapists are there for that too.

Absolutely

7. Joy

Joy Well-Known Member Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+3,038
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

This Thread
    is Now
    Permanently Closed

RV: TRSC: Promotion

Please check each forum's Statement of Purpose thread for any additional guidelines related to these controversial topics.Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may not be promoted* on CF (including member profiles). Several debate forums allow homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism to be discussed from a political, legal, historical, and civil rights point of view. Please check the Statement of Purpose thread for individual debate forums before posting. Homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, transsexualism and transgenderism may be discussed, without promotion*, in the Congregational in line with each group's beliefs there. You may post without promotion* in the Struggles with Sexuality and Ask a Chaplain forums solely for the purpose of seeking support with personal struggles related to these issues.
    * Promotion is defined as encouragement of the progress, growth, or acceptance of something including advertising and publicity.

MOD HAT OFF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.