• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

LGBT+ Ally Christians?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by PureWolf, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PureWolf

PureWolf Newbie

+31
    Christian
    Single
    There is something that I have been thinking about for a while. Is it ok for Christians to be allies to the LGBT+ community? I am not an ally, but I do not deny their humanity nor do I treat them any different then I would someone else. I can be friends with, hang out with, etc. a member of the LGBT+ community, I just don't support who you are/what you do. I get it if it is a non-believer as an ally, but a Christian makes me scratch my head. My sister who is a Christian is an ally. We even had a disagreement when she said you shouldnt eat at Chick-Fil-A because they give some of the money they make to Christian churches/organizations for anti-LGBT purposes. I haven't researched that, but that's what she claims. I told her that they were entitled to their opinion, especially as an organization with religious values. She then asked me how I'd feel is the KKK was receiving money from a restaurant. She got bent out of shape when I told her I didn't see our race as the same thing as one's orientation. I reminded her that the Bible says homosexuality is a sin in which she pointed out that I am a sinner which I am fully aware of. I know that I am a sinner, but at the same time, I admit that my sins are indeed sins and want to move away from them. I feel that these Christian allies are either denying it is a sin or are like "yeah it's a sin, but we're going to support it!" I feel like if you are a Christian you shouldn't be an ally or participating in pride month and so on. Is there something I am not getting? Please help me to understand.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. derpytia

derpytia Compassion. Supporter

+1,162
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    As Christians we are called to do unto others as we would have them do unto us. For LGBT people, we are not to hurt them, treat them with disrespect, or do any sort of harm to them just as we are not to do those things to other people. In that respect, sticking up for them against people who do harm them in those ways for those reasons is just. However, saying that we should support them in their sin is not right. We would not want our fellow Christians to turn away from our sin and not call us out on it because, as parts of the Body of the Church, we are called to chastise/correct each other when needed as well as forgive and uplift.

In short: it is good to treat other people with kindness and stick up for them against evildoers regardless of whether they are in sin or not. But to support their sin is wrong.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Blood Bought 1953

Blood Bought 1953 Ned Flander’s Buddy

+1,449
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    “Hate the sin.....love the sinner” comes to mind

4. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+7,636
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    I think you're spot on in your assessment. If Jesus had been an "ally" to the tax collectors, he would have said it's OK to be greedy and dishonest because they were born that way. But of course, he didn't. He was able to humanize them and show them compassion without excusing what they did. That's what I try to do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,592
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    As Christians washed clean in the Blood of Christ, we are to uphold God's Holiness not promote sin.

We are not perfect but that should not be an excuse to condone what is clearly sin. We do not judge others according to our own standards but shine the light of God's holy standards.

With that, I think most of us have friends or acquaintances or work mates who are homosexual. We should shine the Light of the World Jesus Christ in word and deed (actions) with those who are not in Christ as an example of Christ. If asked we must give an account of our faith and Who is the source of our salvation. As said by Peter "to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed." (1 Peter 3:15-16).

Now on Chick fil A? The owner donates to Christian organizations who teach Biblical family values. Some have attacked that as "homophobic." Which means there are those who are not tolerant of others promoting what they see as holy living. I would consider those who attack Christians for teaching Biblical marriage are actually the intolerant ones.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. St_Worm2

St_Worm2 Simul Justus et Peccator Supporter

+42,744
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    From Huffington Post, a quick look back at the the LGBT and Chick-Fil-A:

QUEER VOICES
    06/14/2016 11:26 am ET Updated Jun 16, 2016
    Chick-Fil-A Opens On Sunday To Give Free Food To Orlando Shooting Blood Donors
    The controversial company gave food to law enforcement working at the scene as well.
    [​IMG]
    By Cavan Sieczkowski

Chick-fil-A typically closes on Sundays, but this Sunday was different.

Workers from the Chick-fil-A Lee Vista in Orlando, Florida, went to work Sunday to offer free food to those lining up to give blood to help those injured in the shooting at LGBT club Pulse.​

--David

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,717
    Messianic
    Single
    It is important to understand that the Bible does not say that homosexuality is a sin, but rather it says that homosexual sex is a sin. Homosexuality just means that someone has the temptation to sin in a specific area and while I don't struggle with that particular temptation, I do struggle with the temptation to sin in other areas. However, all sin is wrong, so the fact that we still sin doesn't justify any else's sin. Furthermore, the Bible does not say that we should treat anyone differently just because they are attracted to someone of the same gender, but if someone is caught in sin, but Bible does instruct us to gently restore them.

I think there is good evidence that homosexuality is at least caused in part by nurture, such as by childhood sexual abuse. If people didn't think that our desires influenced by advertising, then it wouldn't be a billion dollar industry. However, the issue of whether or not homosexuality is genetic is completely irrelevant because we are still responsible for the choice that we make. Alcoholism is also genetic, which can explain someone's alcoholism, but doesn't excuse. They are still responsible for their actions.

The comparison between Chick-Fil-A and the KKK is completely and utterly absurd. People are not homophobic racist bigots just because they disagree with someone's political position. In Muslim countries they kill homosexuals, so it is very strange to see the same people who compare Chik-Fil-A with the KKK turn around and supports Muslims.

So we can be friends with homosexuals, but no one who condones another person's sin is their ally.

8. compassion 4 humanity

compassion 4 humanity Active Member

+193
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    Christians cannot form an alliance with sinners. We're supposed to oppose sin.

9. JoeP222w

JoeP222w Well-Known Member

+1,708
    Christian
    Married
    What is your understanding of being an "ally" to homosexuals? If you mean calling homosexuality as a righteous thing before God as being an "ally", then you are walking in contradiction to the Christian faith. God has defined homosexuality to be a sin, it is very clear in scripture.

Try that with any other sin:

Are Christians an "ally" to those who lie?
    Are Christians an "ally" to those who steal?
    Are Christians an "ally" to those who murder?
    Are Christians an "ally" to those who rape?
    Are Christians an "ally" to those who commit adultery?
    Are Christians an "ally" to those who commit idolatry?

No Christian that I have ever known has ever denied a homosexual their humanity. Nor does the Bible teach that homosexuals are not humans.

Ok, not a problem.

If God told us to not be friends with those who sin, we would have no friends at all, nor could we be near ourselves as well. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

I think you would have a hard time proving that. And whomever Chick-fil-a supports is up to them. Just as anyone can choose to not eat there. That is the freedom of a capitalistic society.

You are correct. Those who compare skin pigmentation to homosexuality are making a category error. It is not a sin to be a different skin pigmentation. However, God has defined homosexuality to be a sin.

I think you are on the right path. You are getting it. She is not.

10. JoeP222w

+1,708
    Christian
    Married
    Not in the Bible.

God does not cast "sin" into Hell, He justly casts the unrepentant "sinner" into Hell. God does not separate the unrepentant sinner from their sin.

11. JoeP222w

+1,708
    Christian
    Married
    That is a completely false dichotomy.

12. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,717
    Messianic
    Single
    It is not a sin to be tempted to sin.

13. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+4,163
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I will certainly eat at Chick-Fil-A. We are to love all people, including homosexuals. However, we are not to support organizations that try to make wrong, right.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  14. Ron Gurley

Ron Gurley What U See is What U Get!

+1,014
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    PROHIBITED BY RULE

15. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+1,092
    Christian
    Single
    I think that is ok, because:

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
    Mat. 5:44-45

Disciples of Jesus (“Christians”) are encouraged to love all people and treat them well.

I think being with them, supports them and what they do. Bible tells about this kind of thing:

Don't be unequally yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? Or what communion has light with darkness? What agreement has Christ with Belial? Or what portion has a believer with an unbeliever? What agreement has a temple of God with idols? For you are a temple of the living God. Even as God said, "I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people." Therefore, "'Come out from among them, And be separate,' says the Lord, 'Touch no unclean thing. I will receive you.
    2 Cor. 6:14-17

But if you remain with them, be careful and:

Don't be deceived! "Evil companionships corrupt good morals."
    1 Cor. 15:33

:)

16. mkgal1

mkgal1 His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33 Supporter

+6,790
    Anglican
    Married
    It does in modern Bibles. However....the word "homosexuality" is a fairly modern word (not being used until around the 16th century, if I recall correctly) and a lot of people may be presuming a modern definition of the word (meaning = "same sex relationships") when the Bible's original interpretation most likely meant something different (idol worship practices). Have you read the whole context of passages where the word "homosexuality" appears?

17. anna ~ grace

anna ~ grace Newbie Supporter

+10,038
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Romans is pretty clear that lust for the same sex is abhorent to God. Everyone struggles with sin, sexual or otherwise. To excuse feelings, thoughts, desires,or inclinations which violate God's will for us is not loving, or ultimately helpful. We can and should with Christ's help say no to feelings or wants which take us away from how God has created us, and what He asks of us to do, or not do.

We also can and should treat our neighbors with love and charity, no matter who they are attracted to, or how they live out their feelings. And if given a chance to speak out against sin, should do so, to.

18. JackRT

JackRT Well-Known Member Supporter

+16,213
    Canada
    Unorthodox
    Married
    In the vast majority of cases one's sexual orientation is as inherent as ones' race. I also think that the biblical attitude toward homosexuality is based on a cultural bias or mistaken understanding and is not God ordained. Moreover there is a great deal of misunderstanding about what the "anti-homosexual passages" actually mean. The best exposition of this is in the essay below by a leading Bible scholar the late Walter Wink.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+13,879
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Plenty of Christians are LGBT allies. My denomination, the ELCA, supports the civil rights of all people, regardless of sexual orientation. There are many more like us, but we tend not to be represented well on Christian Forums.

As far as I know, Chic-fil-A has taken some steps to be more considerate of LGBT individuals and their allies. Not everybody that is LGBT or an ally boycotts Chic-Fil-A.

Discussing this matter fully is beyond the scope or protocol of this forum, unfortunately. You're going to have to do the homework yourself. Not everybody this is a Christian has a narrow understanding of what it means to follow Jesus. Christianity is a very diverse religious movement, with alot of different interpretations.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  20. hedrick

hedrick Senior Veteran Supporter

+8,950
    Presbyterian
    Single
    As you can see, there are varying degrees of ally. Support for legal rights is pretty common among Christians. Acceptance of same-gender sex is actually pretty common as well, but can't be defended in this forum. I believe the only place you can ask about it is the Liberal forum. (A couple of denominational forums are also OK, but discussions there would be specific to that denomination.)