✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Leviticus 5
He is to slaughter the young bull before the Lord, and then Aaron's sons the priests shall bring the blood and sprinkle it against the altar on all sides at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.

Leviticus had quite an impact on me when I first read the book. I did not understand why these offerings and sacrifices were required by God?

I now know that God required animal sacrifices to provide a temporary covering of sins and to foreshadow the perfect and complete sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

What I would like to know is why the blood had to sprinkled?
Why were some offerings completely burned I.e. no meat eaten?
Why the eating of blood and fat was forbidden?

Please advise... thank you...

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The reason for the blood is as follows:
Lev 17:10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

You can see according to these verses that the atonement for sin was because of the blood, that's why it wasn't allowed as food since it contained the life of the soul of the animal that was killed and that life was for God only to take.

In contrast Jesus said:
John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Since it in a Spiritual sense it was given to us:
Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(speaking about communion).

The fat was committed to God:
Exod 29:12 And thou shalt take of the blood of the bullock, and put it upon the horns of the altar with thy finger, and pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar.
Exod 29:22 Also thou shalt take of the ram the fat and the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], and the fat that covereth the inwards, and the caul above the liver, and the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, and the right shoulder; for it is a ram of consecration:
Fat is not so clear, will have to research that as for what reason God forbid it.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The reason for the blood is as follows:
Lev 17:10 And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people.

Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

You can see according to these verses that the atonement for sin was because of the blood, that's why it wasn't allowed as food since it contained the life of the soul of the animal that was killed and that life was for God only to take.

In contrast Jesus said:
John 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Since it in a Spiritual sense it was given to us:
Matt 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(speaking about communion).

The fat was committed to God:
Exod 29:12 And thou shalt take of the blood of the bullock, and put it upon the horns of the altar with thy finger, and pour all the blood beside the bottom of the altar.
Exod 29:22 Also thou shalt take of the ram the fat and the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], and the fat that covereth the inwards, and the caul above the liver, and the two kidneys, and the fat that is upon them, and the right shoulder; for it is a ram of consecration:
Fat is not so clear, will have to research that as for what reason God forbid it.

Hi Johan

Dankie, hoe gaan dit met jou? (Afrikaans language) I said: Thanks, how are you?

I'm originally from Cape Town! South Africa.

Thanks for taking the time to reply your input is appreciated.

God bless...

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been to Gaansbaai - awesome place. Went fishing.

Anyway I know what you are facing each day and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I've seen all the Plaasmoord documentaries and so forth...

Take care of yourselves over there!

God bless...

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Abstaining from certain kinds of foods was part of God's covenant instructions for the Jewish people, a mark of their identity as distinct from the nations which surrounded them.

Such instruction never applied to non-Jews, and thus doesn't apply to us who are under the New Covenant which God established with the world through Jesus Christ. So the only ones who are obligated to follow such instruction are Jews under the former covenant made at Mt. Horeb in Sinai.

In the Acts of the Apostles we read of the Council of Jerusalem in which the Apostles met to discuss the conversion of the Gentiles to Christianity. One of the instructions for new Gentile converts was to not eat blood, though the general interpretation here is that this is part of a general instruction to abstain from Pagan ritual practices, not an innate dietary restriction. As we see throughout St. Paul's letters that the Faithful are free to eat/not eat according to the dictates of conscience.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I have been to Gaansbaai - awesome place. Went fishing.

Anyway I know what you are facing each day and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

I've seen all the Plaasmoord documentaries and so forth...

Take care of yourselves over there!

God bless...

Thanks very much bro, luckally I do have good security.God bless you man.

Upvote 0

Richard Mulcahy

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2019
Reading
✟182,378.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Abstaining from certain kinds of foods was part of God's covenant instructions for the Jewish people, a mark of their identity as distinct from the nations which surrounded them.

Such instruction never applied to non-Jews, and thus doesn't apply to us who are under the New Covenant which God established with the world through Jesus Christ. So the only ones who are obligated to follow such instruction are Jews under the former covenant made at Mt. Horeb in Sinai.

In the Acts of the Apostles we read of the Council of Jerusalem in which the Apostles met to discuss the conversion of the Gentiles to Christianity. One of the instructions for new Gentile converts was to not eat blood, though the general interpretation here is that this is part of a general instruction to abstain from Pagan ritual practices, not an innate dietary restriction. As we see throughout St. Paul's letters that the Faithful are free to eat/not eat according to the dictates of conscience.

-CryptoLutheran

Hello ViaCrucis

Do we know why blood had to be sprinkled? What was the reason?

And why were some animals burned whole? I.e. no meat eaten?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Leviticus 5
He is to slaughter the young bull before the Lord, and then Aaron's sons the priests shall bring the blood and sprinkle it against the altar on all sides at the entrance to the Tent of Meeting.

Leviticus had quite an impact on me when I first read the book. I did not understand why these offerings and sacrifices were required by God?

I now know that God required animal sacrifices to provide a temporary covering of sins and to foreshadow the perfect and complete sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

What I would like to know is why the blood had to sprinkled?
Why were some offerings completely burned I.e. no meat eaten?
Why the eating of blood and fat was forbidden?

Please advise... thank you...
Check out Michael Heiser’s podcast, he does an entire section on Leviticus, pretty interesting. The sacrificial system had to do with the purification of holy places, not intentional sins. The sins which are talked about in Leviticus are almost entirely unintentional mistakes. He fully discusses the pitfalls of viewing Leviticus through the lens of the New Testament.

Episodes

Upvote 0