• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Letting phone scammers have it

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by rturner76, May 19, 2017.

1. Keep letting it go to voicemail

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Politely tell them no thank you and please take me of your call list

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Let 'em have it and tell them where to go stick it

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. rturner76

rturner76 Senior Veteran Supporter

+1,070
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I get at least one call every day telling me about how my credit card company wants to lower my interest rate. Because of this,usually I don't answer a number I don't know.

I answered the phone today, already fairly sure it was another scammer and this time I wanted to talk to the guy. I wanted to let him know I didn't appreciate him calling me trying to scam me out of my credit card number. So when he came on and did his con, I told him I don't give my credit card number to people on the phone who are trying steal from me.

After he did some more of his con job of course assuring me he was from my "credit card company" I said "here's my number" and I spelled out a very un christian phrase that basically instructs him to have anal sex with himself. This got him started on my mother and that's when I just let him have it. There's no need to get into everything I said but I said some VERY uncharitable things having to do with the poor job his mother did raising a thief, he is not man enough to feed his skinny children, and he should go and eat more sand among a whole diatribe of emasculating, culturally insensitive or even bigoted statements. He just would not hang up the phone.

So after five or so minutes of this my mother told me to wrap it up so I got off the phone immediately. Not before he gloated about 9/11 and threatened my life of course. The thing is after I got off the phone, I felt great! I was all stressed out before and anxious and all of that was just gone and I felt calm and relaxed.

So as Christians or even just as philsophers what is the approach to take here?

Just keep letting it go to voicemail

Politely tell them (7-12 times) no than you, I'm not interested, please take me off your call list

Lay into 'em and just let out all your pent up anger on them

Is there another approach?

2. Wayholka

Wayholka The Wayfarer Supporter

+4,199
    Canada
    Christian
    Celibate
    Whenever I get those Indian phone scammers claiming to be Microsoft trying to scam me, I just mess with them just to waste their time. I would pretend to be the unintelligent victim until they get frustrated and hang up.

As I see it, simply hanging up on them is only making them more effective scammers. There's only so much time in a day to jump from phone number to phone number in order to find a perfect target.

However if they are automated phone calls, then I just ignore them. It's become a joke in my family that we won another free cruise due to all the messages we get.

3. RayJeena

RayJeena The poster formerly known as Chaela

+2,082
    United States
    Charismatic
    Single
    If I don't recognize the number, I simply don't pick up. Same with solicitors who ring my doorbell (in spite of the sign that specifically says "No Soliciting"). If I don't recognize them, I don't answer the door. Makes life much simpler! :)

4. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran

+1,574
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Read when we answer this type of call, irregardless if we speak with them or not, that phone number gets sold and passed to more phone scammers. Phone ringing? If it's valid, they'll leave a message.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member

+447
    Canada
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Set up a recording device.
    Record your conversation and tell them to take you off the list.
    Continue to do this.
    Sue them.

Unless of course they're calling from Somalia or something.

6. tturt

tturt Senior Veteran

+1,574
    Non-Denom
    Married
  7. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. I am become mod, the destroyer of reports! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+1,424
    Messianic
    Single
    I just ignore calls from numbers that are unfamiliar. Even answering the phone to tell them to stop calling gives them the validation and attention they're wanting, and only encourages them further.

8. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+678
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    I have a sure fire reply!

"Oh wow! I'm glad you called. I need 50 large cheese and pepperoni pizzas, 2500 chicken wings, all of them your hottest, and fifty 2 liter bottles of Diet Coke. I need them to be delivered to my business address in Fairbanks, Alaska, in ten minutes time. How much will that be?"

I really like to mess with people's minds. The reply I usually get is "click."

9. bettercallpaul

bettercallpaul I like I scream

+5,664
    Australia
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    AU-Labor
    I've tried the "Stay on the line. You've reached Sydney Police Headquarters. I'm now transferring you to Detective Bromwich, Head of our Phone Scamming Investigation Department."
    Then I try to impersonate the detective. Mixed results. I need to work on my performance mainly.

10. thisgal

thisgal New Member

+1
    Word of Faith
    Single
    I use Google Voice which is great at filtering out known scam numbers. Also, most smart phones have options to block callers once you know it's a scam.

11. FrankDux

FrankDux Active Member

+234
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    Assign custom ringtones to everybody you know and mute the rest