Perspective is power
Dec 12, 2013
United States
✟8,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday I was feeling kind of depressed, and I wanted to talk to someone. So I tried to get in contact with my two old ex-friends because we play a game together sometimes. As I got the server name and tried to play with them, I instantly remembered why I had to stay away from them.

They made me feel really awful, like a burden, and they always ignored me for their own fun between the both of them. We were building stuff on this game and I told them I didn't want to build on their turf since they had a plan, and one of them responded. "Well just go kill yourself so you will spawn so far away that you won't even touch our area." and I just felt like it didn't matter if I was playing with them or not. They didn't want anything to do with me.

Then I remembered God asked me to let go of them. He wanted me to forgive them and myself for all the problems I had with them in the past, and go on with life without them. I realized why He did that, because every time I talk to them, I feel so insecure and empty on the inside. God didn't want me around them for that reason alone.

So did you lose friends when you started following God? Or God kept knocking them out of your life if you made any new ones because He knew they were not good for you?

Share your stories.

Reactions: psalms 91

Moriah Ruth 777

Encourager/Exhorter
Oct 3, 2012
Canada
✟20,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ruba,

I can so much relate to your circumstance. Yes God does remove those from our lives. And He puts in our lives those who will encourage us and be there for us to take us a step higher with God.

When one feels lonely and depressed we tend to look to the flesh instead of God during these times. And so sometimes we go back to our old friends only to find out they have not changed one bit. When one goes back to their old friends they will find they will go deeper into darkness, depression and listen to all the negative criticism.

Yes, God reminds us as to why He removed those old friends from our lives. This is when we need to get closer to God. The bible tells us that God stays with us where others will fail us. He is closer than a brother or sister.

So this is when we ask God to send encouraging friends in our path for His glory and His purpose. Look to Him for He will not fail you.

Moriah Ruth

Upvote 0

Ruba

Perspective is power
Dec 12, 2013
United States
✟8,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ruba,

I can so much relate to your circumstance. Yes God does remove those from our lives. And He puts in our lives those who will encourage us and be there for us to take us a step higher with God.

When one feels lonely and depressed we tend to look to the flesh instead of God during these times. And so sometimes we go back to our old friends only to find out they have not changed one bit. When one goes back to their old friends they will find they will go deeper into darkness, depression and listen to all the negative criticism.

Yes, God reminds us as to why He removed those old friends from our lives. This is when we need to get closer to God. The bible tells us that God stays with us where others will fail us. He is closer than a brother or sister.

So this is when we ask God to send encouraging friends in our path for His glory and His purpose. Look to Him for He will not fail you.

Moriah Ruth

Thank you Moriah Ruth for your wonderful reply. Its kind of cool, because the past few days I been asking God for more godly friends since I only had one. Since I couldn't get contact with that one, I tried to resort back to my old ones to see if they would have a different behavior because I changed a lot because of God, but nothing really happened. Its really a huge smack on the face there that its never a good idea to return to those who had harmed you, especially when its God telling you that its a no no.

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2013
✟7,651.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi Ruba!

I have been going through a similar situation regarding old "friends". I was part of a pagan/secular community for almost twenty years. I was called to my faith earlier this year, and it seemed that people I thought would always be part of my life disappeared. I tried to stay in contact with a few, but their outlook and life choices no longer fit with mine. I found being around their dark energy draining, and prefer the company of my pets and my Mom (I am a full time caretaker of her) I hope as my journey continues, God will send the right people into my life. My life already has improved leaps and bounds without my old friends and I pray that yours does as well! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I got saved, I left my old life behind and that included most of my friends. I was shocked to find out how much some of my old friends really hated God and Christians, and I was rejected by many of them. There are a couple I keep in semi-contact with but for the most part, the friends I have today are Christians I have met in my local community and over the internet. I pray for those friends that I lost and I have moved on into the new life God has made for me. My advice is not the pine away for the past because you have a bright future. Jesus fulfills our every need because we were created to have a personal, intimate relationship with Him. If you feel like that again, seek Him in prayer and ask Him to fill your life and to heal soul hurts that you have. Ask Him to put you into Christian fellowships and to help you make new friends. Let Him open the doors for you and just wait on the Lord. He is faithful and will give you the desires of your heart. God bless.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday I was feeling kind of depressed, and I wanted to talk to someone. So I tried to get in contact with my two old ex-friends because we play a game together sometimes. As I got the server name and tried to play with them, I instantly remembered why I had to stay away from them.

They made me feel really awful, like a burden, and they always ignored me for their own fun between the both of them. We were building stuff on this game and I told them I didn't want to build on their turf since they had a plan, and one of them responded. "Well just go kill yourself so you will spawn so far away that you won't even touch our area." and I just felt like it didn't matter if I was playing with them or not. They didn't want anything to do with me.

Then I remembered God asked me to let go of them. He wanted me to forgive them and myself for all the problems I had with them in the past, and go on with life without them. I realized why He did that, because every time I talk to them, I feel so insecure and empty on the inside. God didn't want me around them for that reason alone.

So did you lose friends when you started following God? Or God kept knocking them out of your life if you made any new ones because He knew they were not good for you?

Share your stories.

You asked:

Yes.

I was a drug addict when I came to know and understand the truth and within a couple of weeks my taste for drugs completely dried up. You can imagine that most of my 'friends' weren't so overjoyed to spend time with me any longer.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Your not so fun since I quite drinking .....

There is clearly a time in a lot of Christians lives when they need to separate from friends and even at times family to get healing to mature in Christ.

Tho I've found now I can go places here their are few to no Christians and love for Christ. Just a couple of weeks ago I was with 6 people 5 of whom don't know Christ as far as I can tell. One guy asked me what was the most significant event in my life so I told about how at 11 and a half I accepted Christ into my life. How Jesus' salvation had helped me thru everything in life.

Now there was a time when if the church door was open I was there and that was for like decades. But now not so much, I didn't get to share my faith much when I was at church all the time. So now I go to places Christians aren't and I'm getting to witness much more. Its a friendship type evangelism. I'm finding many people are accepting my testimony, not yet accepting Christ.

Upvote 0

Ruba

Perspective is power
Dec 12, 2013
United States
✟8,699.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ruba!

I have been going through a similar situation regarding old "friends". I was part of a pagan/secular community for almost twenty years. I was called to my faith earlier this year, and it seemed that people I thought would always be part of my life disappeared. I tried to stay in contact with a few, but their outlook and life choices no longer fit with mine. I found being around their dark energy draining, and prefer the company of my pets and my Mom (I am a full time caretaker of her) I hope as my journey continues, God will send the right people into my life. My life already has improved leaps and bounds without my old friends and I pray that yours does as well! :thumbsup:

Thank you Inspiredbylight for your encouragement. Its really encouraging that God doesn't want everyone to live out of the norm that a lot of people live. I am certainly doing a lot better without my ex friends and grew a lot without them too.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Most of the friends I've had never really followed a lifestyle or philosophy that woud cause me to stumble. In fact, some of them now have criminal records and have served as examples of how not to live and remind me of how lucky I am to have the family and upbringing that I have. The friends I have now either share my faith or my love of cinema.

No matter what the situation, God can give us the discernment to know what is right and wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YouHaveMadeMeGlad

Jun 28, 2022
Iowa
✟15,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I want to say THANK YOU all for this thread from nearly 10 years ago. I saw it yesterday, as I'm releasing some old friends who persecute me for my faith and beliefs, rather than show gratefulness for the years that I've given my love and support to them, they now see me as pro-birth and a "Christian-nationalist". This gave me peace to let them go completely.

Upvote 0

Sesame Seed

Nov 26, 2022
Coventry
Visit site
✟12,888.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Ruba,

Moriah Ruth
I have had to give up alot of friends too but you have to ask yourself we're these people really your friends?

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes. I felt I was forced out. At the end, they showed their true colors. They hate God and two faced. Psalm chapter 31:12. I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like broken vessel. Jesus and body of christ is your brethren. Many people are on the wrong path and are selfish. This is evil and wicked generation. Take up a hobby. Like puzzles or water painting. Our main goal as Christian people is to study the bible and plant seeds for God, produce fruit. Thiers lost souls in the world headed for hell. We should be focused on planting seeds for God. Our former lives are dead. Christian people and the world are going in opposite directions. If you carry your cross daily and follow Jesus, your dead to the world. Get the picture. Many years ago, 23 years ago. Small group of wicked people tried to get me fired. The wicked hate children of light. Your brethren are body of christ and Jesus. Peace.

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I did lose friends after I was saved; friends I didn't think I would lose.

The first to go was the boyfriend - he didn't leave me because of my faith, but because he found someone else.

Then 7 years later, I lost two high school friends. One had become an alcoholic and didn't want to associate with me anymore. The other one was a homosexual that didn't want to hear the truth.

I have made new friends, but I usually lost them because I didn't keep in contact with them. Like changing jobs or deleting social media accounts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums