1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Let's Talk Stewardship Campaigns

Discussion in 'Scripture,Tradition,Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic' started by seeking.IAM, Jul 20, 2021.

1. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Episcopalian Supporter

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Fellow Anglicans, it is that time of year when many of our congregations are gearing up for a fall stewardship campaign in preparation for next year's budgeting. What is your church doing? What have you found effective? What have you tried that didn't work so well?

I had a realization today that my former faith group's church membership included a vow to support the church financially. As I looked today at the BOCP, I cannot find that we ever ask that of anyone as a condition of membership or confirmation. I wonder if the absence of that as a membership vow changes the nature of the conversations we need to have around giving?

As Chair of the Vestry, I find myself on the campaign planning committee for the first time in my life. I am curious about what you've done, what you've liked, and what you haven't if you are willing to share.

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+17,290
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    Mostly, I've worked in churches where "what we've always done" was treated as just as sacred in this regard as in any other. :rolleyes:

I do have a book I'd recommend called Not Your Parents' Offering Plate, which looks at generational changes in finances, giving, expectations, communication, etc. and makes some really good observations and recommendations. Particularly if you hope to encourage a younger generation into sound habits in this regard!

3. seeking.IAM

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Paidiske, thank you for the book recommendation.

We're rather bored with what we've always done and looking for something different that gets the message across without grimaces saying "not this again."

4. Deegie

Deegie Priest of the Church Supporter

+135
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    For the last few years, we have started having parish families give little talks during the Sunday services about what brought them to our church and why they continue to support it financially and emotionally. They have gone over very well. Last year, we did them as a series of Facebook videos since we weren't meeting in person. Beside that, it's been the usual letters, pledge cards, blah blah. LOL.

5. seeking.IAM

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Thank you for your reply. How many days or weeks has your talks in church or Facebook posts lasted?

6. Deegie

+135
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    We typically run our stewardship campaign for four weeks, with one family each of those four weeks. The schedule is based on needing to have the data by the end of November in order to properly budget for the next year. That means we like to have our pledge cards in either the weekend before or after Thanksgiving since those themes work well together. So this year it will probably look something like this:

October 22: Rector's letter and pledge card mailed out
    October 31: First stewardship talk
    November 8: Wardens' letter mailed out
    November 21: Last stewardship talk and blessing of pledge cards (In-Gathering)

We have tried doing the little talks during the sermon time and I didn't love it. So we now do it during the announcements. We ask them to keep it under 4-5 minutes.

7. seeking.IAM

+4,221
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    Thanks. That is pretty much what we have done, with some variation in the theme of the talks from year to year. But, it seems like we're still chasing down lagging pledge cards up to year-end. Our budget ends up with some guess work that John, Jane, and Sally haven't turned in their pledge cards yet, but they usually give $X so we'll plug that amount into the budget and hope we're right. Chasing tardy pledge cards is always an aggravation for next year's planning and budgeting.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Deegie

+135
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Yes indeedy! Fortunately, I have a stewardship chairperson who isn't shy about calling people to inquire. Equally frustrating to me are the givers of record who intend to contribute regularly but just won't fill out a pledge card for some reason.