St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was responding to the assertion that anything a husband and wife do, as long as they're both fine with it, is morally licit. That statement is clearly outside the bounds of Catholic moral theology.

Oh, I know... I'm just musing out loud... I've been reading this thread for days, and your post finally helped me to phrase my thoughts coherently.

With respect to the oral sex to climax thing, the Church obviously cannot define every single thing that could occur in the nedroom. So the question becomes, what is the purpose and proper context of sex, and does a given activity serve that or not?

A good point, and well put.

For a man to deliberately reach climax outside of intercourse is a separation of what are inseparable ends of sex. For a woman to climax during the oral sex doesn't seem problematic, as long as it is a part of the whole sex act and not separate from it.

That makes sense, psysiologically-speaking, but doesn't seem... fair. Still if we have to do childbirth I guess it's only right there are some payoffs :D

Thankyou for your thoughtful response.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had to google those, geo :D But I get that now and I concur. But, for men, I guess this is where the grey area kicks in. Example:

Mr Man is desiring some "variety" (I think that's the word) and Mrs Woman is happy to oblige. Does said variety count as extended foreplay if they move onto sex 5 seconds before he finishes? Or are they being immoral because he almost climaxed - ahem - externally? Or are they immoral because the intent wasn't really to have sex? Or am I over-thinking this?

nah, they can "variety" in foreplay, so long as he completes vaginally.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
nah, they can "variety" in foreplay, so long as he completes vaginally.
See that's what I figured, but it kinda feels like cheating. Or is this where Pope Pius XII's advice kicks in:

Originally posted by the CCC and PPXII: Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure:

"The Creator himself . . . established that in the [generative] function, spouses should experience pleasure and enjoyment of body and spirit. Therefore, the spouses do nothing evil in seeking this pleasure and enjoyment. They accept what the Creator has intended for them. At the same time, spouses should know how to keep themselves within the limits of just moderation."

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
See that's what I figured, but it kinda feels like cheating. Or is this where Pope Pius XII's advice kicks in:
What you consider "just moderation" may different from what others consider it to be. Variety is a wide range of meanings. There are some things outside of my boundaries (a few, not many ;) ), and some which aren't. I consider those outside my boundaries to be outside of 'just moderation'. It is left to your judgment.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Twofold. Because sometimes oral sex to completion (even on a <gasp!> male) is nice, and because the people that say NFP's half month of abstinence make their relationship stronger are either lying or just very different than me. Mostly I think they're just trying to convince themselves. It's pretty much this or contracept - although that isn't why I started the thread. I just started the thread for something to talk about.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Twofold. Because sometimes oral sex to completion (even on a <gasp!> male) is nice, and because the people that say NFP's half month of abstinence make their relationship stronger are either lying or just very different than me. Mostly I think they're just trying to convince themselves. It's pretty much this or contracept - although that isn't why I started the thread. I just started the thread for something to talk about.

I'll agree that the folks who claim abstaining for 2-3 weeks a month makes their marriage stronger are engaging in some serious self-deception. Imagine how great their marriage would be if they just abstained forever?

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and because the people that say NFP's half month of abstinence make their relationship stronger are either lying or just very different than me.

It could be worse... owing to mismatched sex drives, that half month of opportunities shrinks rapidly for me :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'll agree that the folks who claim abstaining for 2-3 weeks a month makes their marriage stronger are engaging in some serious self-deception. Imagine how great their marriage would be if they just abstained forever?
*HofB counts on her chart* 3 weeks?? That's an unlucky cycle.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
*HofB counts on her chart* 3 weeks?? That's an unlucky cycle.
My wife and I have never been able to use NFP reliably. We have to do this "extra careful" method of basically never, ever having sex, and then calling it "NFP". We have an NFP-Only doctor who makes a little progress between pregnancies, but basically he doesn't know what's going on either.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. It does not feel natural to climax without intercourse taking place at the same time.

(I hope I can debate here. I am a Catholic, really.)

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not advocating oral sex absent actual intercourse. But many women can't climax during intercourse. Oral sex, as a part of the whole "thing" isn't problematic.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.