Let's look at the Green New Deal being presented in Congress

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,304.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Name six places in the US that have temperatures of 117

Did you even read the article?
You wanted an example on how climate change influences the cost of air travel. I provided, so now you are moving the goalposts and want six more?

I think I can easily declare myself the winner in this little exchange and stop wasting time with it.

You can do the same, if it makes you feel better.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I find it funny that over the past 25+ years that I’ve been hearing about this, it’s aleays 10+ years into the future.

I understand that when people get their science from non-science sources, filtered through the mass media that one would focus on the simplified version of "failed forecasts", but the fact remains that even if this forecast isn't totally on the mark, there WILL come a time beyond which our ability to make necessary changes will happen. This is what is important to know about: Equilibrium warming. Right now we aren't even close to equilibrium. Which means that even if we were stop burning fossil fuels today, right now, all over the world....we'd still be in for about a century of additional warming. It's like hitting the brakes while you're on ice...you don't know exactly where it's going to stop but you know it isn't where you applied the brakes.

We know how global warming works, the science is solid. We've known pretty much everything we need to about the warming for about 60 years. The details of no longer a matter of if but of when.

And maybe you should get your money back.

That is extremely insulting.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We know how global warming works, the science is solid. We've known pretty much everything we need to about the warming for about 60 years. The details of no longer a matter of if but of when.
Right. But NOW is 10 to 12 years into the future. They were wrong 25 years ago. But you all have it figured out now.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Right. But NOW is 10 to 12 years into the future. They were wrong 25 years ago. But you all have it figured out now.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Who is "they" and what specifically were they wrong about?

• Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Lather, rinse, repeat.
They weren't wrong 25 years ago. The effects of global warming are being felt now, all over the world. The only point at issue is exactly when it will be too late to turn it around.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
They weren't wrong 25 years ago. The effects of global warming are being felt now, all over the world. The only point at issue is exactly when it will be too late to turn it around.
Mkay.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

So you are skeptical. Do you doubt the science? As I said even if the current 10-12 year estimate isn't dead on, you must surely understand that it WILL happen one day. There WILL come a time that we are unable to deal with the warming and it won't matter what we do then, right?

This is why it is important to balance out an actual understanding of the SCIENCE and try to pare it out from the short-term predictions.

This is known science. The same science that you rely on every single day. It's not a matter of if, but when.

(And I really do want to reiterate that you grossly insulted me by slamming my education and degree. Seriously, it was EXTREMELY offensive.)

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

The poster is right. We ARE seeing the effects of global warming. Sure some of the more extreme predictions haven't come to pass, but there's almost no one in the sciences who doubts that unless we start to take some serious action and soon we WILL reap the whirlwind.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
  • Optimistic
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I think this is the key that scoffers like to pass over. They act as if the "point of no return" will be something that we know at the time it happens. In reality that "point of no return" will only be known after the fact. Long after we've passed it we'll realize it's too late.

That is why people who want to be skeptics must learn the science, not just the political spin. They need to get down and dirty with the actual data, not just read Wall Street Journal Opinion pieces.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟906,254.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you are skeptical. Do you doubt the science? As I said even if the current 10-12 year estimate isn't dead on, you must surely understand that it WILL happen one day. There WILL come a time that we are unable to deal with the warming and it won't matter what we do then, right?

This is why it is important to balance out an actual understanding of the SCIENCE and try to pare it out from the short-term predictions.

This is known science. The same science that you rely on every single day. It's not a matter of if, but when.

(And I really do want to reiterate that you grossly insulted me by slamming my education and degree. Seriously, it was EXTREMELY offensive.)
It’s always going to happen one day. They’ve been saying it for 30 years.

And if you don’t use fallacies, I won’t mock your education. Fair enough?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response but it is behind a paywall. Would you be so kind as to give me a couple of the specific issues you feel makes the point?
Thirty years ago Hansen made predictions that did not come true.

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It’s always going to happen one day. They’ve been saying it for 30 years.

No, it’s not ok. I have used no fallacy.

Do not mock other people.

Thanks

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Thirty years ago Hansen made predictions that did not come true.

But Hansen was right that global warming was going to get worse. It is clear you have not read any of the IPCC reports because if you did you would realize that these predictions are presented as SCENARIOS (SRCCs) which predicate events based on our actions. As such if you go back several years you’d know that indeed there are many families of curves based on how we deal with the issues.

Please learn the science in detail especially if you are going to mock people’s education.

Thanks

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You're a staff member. Is that how the rules work? Can you openly mock another member's education if they resorted to a fallacy?

Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You're a staff member. Is that how the rules work? Can you openly mock another member's education if they resorted to a fallacy?

This is very disturbing behavior.

Upvote 0