Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's face it, it can be a challenge at time being a parent of a special needs child. We have this whole forum to ourselves, let's use it. Its a pretty dead forum, we need to be more active so we can come here for the support we all need. :hug:

We could start with intros...

I'm the parents of 2 special needs boys - one with CP the other with developmental delays. We adopted them both and they've been a tremendous blessing in our lives and we've certainly learned how to lean heavily upon the Lord. My son Zach, with CP, has made tremendous strides, he's a walker and had one surgery, and another may be coming down the road soon. My son, Danny, has had a longer road, but is also doing well. His teacher says he's her start student, but he's still behind the kids in his grade level. I have 2 older "normal" children, and raising these younger two has really changed alot of my prior parenting "skills". It just seems you have to have extra wisdom or something extra to parent a child with special needs, or is that just me?

Lena75

Aug 11, 2004
✟21,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Isn't it kinda funny when you suggest a more active forum, it actually dies down even MORE? :p

Well, my autistic son is now 16, we still homeschool and boy has he come a long way! He's talking more, but not like a "normal" conversation. His attention span is getting better. Oh wait! A squirrel! lol

I know he will never be a "normal" kid so we've accepted him the way he is and if anything, he's given us much more wisdom as special needs parents. Just when we think we've out-smarted him, he's actually out-smarted us at the same time! It takes a special level of understanding, I think. We get stares at the beach and other public places because he's so obviously different and that's fine. He's quite a funny boy with a great sense of humour!

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah when I talk to other parents of special needs kids its not a matter of them growing up to be doctors or lawyers (which they still may well do) but its more about getting them to become the best they can be. I think special needs kids have all kinds of potential and its up to the parent to unlock as much as we can. Its good to hear your son is doing so well.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2012
✟15,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I'm new here so I apologize for jumping on this thread late, but I also have two special needs children. My oldest is 12, and is diagnosed with ADD, ODD, and depression. Other than a definite lack of social skills, he's a perfectly normal child.

My other child just turned 8 and is diagnosed with Autism. He's mid-functioning, but very happy. He gets frustrated on occasion, but never becomes violent. He doesn't speak in complete sentences and will usually just say something that's on his mind like, "Buzz Lightyear" or "McDonalds". He is also not potty trained mostly because he is not aware of his bodily functions. Regardless of this, he attends regular school with the use on an aide. He's an intelligent guy, knows how to read and write, but doesn't show much interest in actual communication.

Parenting is certainly a challenge most of the time. Frustrating in the sense that I have to put other duties on hold (for instance, my lawn hasn't been mowed for a couple weeks now which my neighbors are quick to point out to me), but rewarding in the sense that these are two great kids that have been entrusted to my wife and I by god.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF!

Yeah its can certainly be a challenge at times. But you're right, it can be very rewarding as well. I remember when my son with CP first walked, it was soooo amazing. Yes when my other "normal" kids walked it was wonderful, but there was something so spectacular and amazing about him doing it, it was like God personal placed his hand of healing upon him and we felt very privileged that God cared so much to intervene in his life with way he did.

Having a child with special needs certain does develop your faith with God and teaches you things I don't think you can learn otherwise. These kids truly are a blessing from God.

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2012
✟7,691.00
Faith
Christian
There is a great group in my area called "Parents Helping Parents" that hosts activities for local parents of special needs children. I went with my sister and her son who has CP, and it was a great place to commiserate with other parents and have some fun with the kids. I will have to tell her about this forum so she can read all your wonderful, heartwarming posts. When I was in High School, I always volunteered to work with the special needs classes, they all have easy laughter and and find joy in so many things! Blessings to all!

Upvote 0

eatenbylocusts

Senior Veteran
Oct 13, 2005
✟14,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Howdy. I have a 20 yr. old son and 14 yr old dd, both diagnosed with ADD and noted to have Asperger traits. My son is attending community college, has retained one friend from K and has some other friends. He is a growing Christian which gives me so much joy. He gave a testimony that showed his humbleness and understanding a few years ago before getting baptised by immersion. My dd used to have an IEP for social issues and got ok grades. After I got married 2 years ago I found I needed to drop her IEP to get her into another school by permit. They took one look at her STAR math results and just fawned over her. She was tested and accepted into the Gifted and Talented program and just bloomed! She is striving for As and has advanced classes. Unfortunately she still does not have friends. She attends a Bible club once a week at school and has some interactions with the youth at church, but nothing is sticking.

One blessing is that neither of my kids has had any dating issues to deal with. My son had planned a date in HS and got stood up. They are both learning some different ideas about dating from what I have learned and from church, etc. I hope this will keep them from having a string of broken relationships and divorces. My son likes to talk about his interests (currently movies) which still show an asperger trend, but his interests have grown and he feels a burden to witness to his friends. My dd comes off as rude with her lack of desire to interact with people when she isn't in the mood and loves to say the unexpected.

I just noticed that my HMO coverage just started some kind of Behavioral training for autism, so I need to check that out.

Upvote 0

nature74

Nov 11, 2014
✟8,034.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a 10-year-old son who was diagnosed mid-2013 as Aspergers with Co-morbid Anxiety and ADHD, he also has sensory issues. Also have a 9-year-old daughter with ADHD only.

My son is focused on Lego, Star Wars and mincraft. And he dreams about building robots and solar power cars.

Life is always interesting with both kids but some days are harder to cope with than others. Fortunately we have a good support system and my medical insurance covers for most of my medical needs.

Upvote 0