Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"2 There are two personages who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things—by whom all things were created and made, that are created and made, whether visible or invisible: whether in heaven, on earth, or in the earth, under the earth, or throughout the immensity of space—They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit, glory and power: possessing all perfection and fulness: The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle, made, or fashioned like unto man, or being in the form and likeness of man, or, rather, man was formed after his likeness, and in his image;—he is also the express image and likeness of the personage of the Father: possessing all the fulness of the Father, or, the same fulness with the Father; being begotten of him, and was ordained from before the foundation of the world to be a propitiation for the sins of all those who should believe on his name, and is called the Son because of the flesh—and descended in suffering below that which man can suffer, or, in other words, suffered greater sufferings, and was exposed to more powerful contradictions than any man can be."(The Godhead Lecture Fifth)Lectures on Faith

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ gets credit for this find,

Alma 31:15 Holy, holy God; we believe that thou art God, and we believe that thou art holy, and that thou wast a spirit, and that thou art a spirit, and that thou wilt be a spirit forever.

John 4:24 God is spirit,
and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and in truth.”

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
So let me get this straight: you ammo here is...
"2 There are two personages who constitute the great, matchless, governing and supreme power over all things—by whom all things were created and made, that are created and made, whether visible or invisible: whether in heaven, on earth, or in the earth, under the earth, or throughout the immensity of space—They are the Father and the Son: The Father being a personage of spirit, glory and power: possessing all perfection and fulness: The Son, who was in the bosom of the Father, a personage of tabernacle, made, or fashioned like unto man, or being in the form and likeness of man, or, rather, man was formed after his likeness, and in his image;—he is also the express image and likeness of the personage of the Father: possessing all the fulness of the Father, or, the same fulness with the Father; being begotten of him, and was ordained from before the foundation of the world to be a propitiation for the sins of all those who should believe on his name, and is called the Son because of the flesh—and descended in suffering below that which man can suffer, or, in other words, suffered greater sufferings, and was exposed to more powerful contradictions than any man can be."(The Godhead Lecture Fifth)Lectures on Faith

Phoebe Ann From Mormonism to Christ gets credit for this find,
A non-canonical statement that LDS folks readily acknowledge there is mega problems with.
Alma 31:15 Holy, holy God; we believe that thou art God, and we believe that thou art holy, and that thou wast a spirit, and that thou art a spirit, and that thou wilt be a spirit forever.
Book of Mormon passage which specifically states it's quoting heretics that don't know Christ...
John 4:24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and in truth.”
And a passage that isn't about the nature of God at all, but rather teaching about ditching the outward Law of Moses.

Really????

I'm sorry, but Creedal Christianity can do MUCH better than this when it comes to trying to proselytize.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"God is spirit" clearly speaks of his nature because one worships him in spirit and truth.

John 4
21 Jesus told her, “Believe me, woman, an hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know. We worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and in truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and in truth.” 25 The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Jesus told her, “I, the one speaking to you, am he.”

Me: Nothing in the context is "ditching" the Law of Moses.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
"God is spirit" clearly speaks of his nature because one worships him in spirit and truth.

John 4
21 Jesus told her, “Believe me, woman, an hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know. We worship what we do know, because salvation is from the Jews. 23 But an hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and in truth. Yes, the Father wants such people to worship him. 24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in Spirit and in truth.” 25 The woman said to him, “I know that the Messiah is coming” (who is called Christ). “When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Jesus told her, “I, the one speaking to you, am he.”

Me: Nothing in the context is "ditching" the Law of Moses.
The entire passage is about worshiping God with our spirits (or hearts, to use a different word) rather than the outward way they did during the law of Moses! It's not a discussion about how "yeah, God is just a spirit and I (the flesh and blood dude here) am God".

And no comments about how you're trying to convince Mormons not to be Mormons by quoting heretics?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As for the non-canonical statement it once was part of your scriptures and was later removed which shows me the LDS god is not the true eternal God without beginning or end.

Numbers 23:18-23 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
18 Balaam proclaimed his poem:

Balak, get up and listen;
son of Zippor, pay attention to what I say!
19 God is not a man, that he might lie,
or a son of man, that he might change his mind.
Does he speak and not act,
or promise and not fulfill?
20 I have indeed received a command to bless;
since he has blessed, I cannot change it.

21 He considers no disaster for Jacob;
he sees no trouble for Israel.
The Lord their God is with them,
and there is rejoicing over the King among them.
22 God brought them out of Egypt;
he is like the horns of a wild ox for them.
23 There is no magic curse against Jacob
and no divination against Israel.
It will now be said about Jacob and Israel,
“What great things God has done!”

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Get back on topic pleases or I will just ignore your off topic posts.
I did address your OP. You quotes 3 sources:
1) LDS non-cannoical statement that LDS readily acknowledge problems with
2) Heretics
3) A passage not about the metaphysical nature of Christ.

I can't supply you with a scriptural statement which says "The Father is a personage of spirit" because such a statement doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Book of Mormon passage which specifically states it's quoting heretics that don't know Christ...
Please provide your reference for such a statement. I see in Alma 31:15-18 is a prayer. In Verse 19-20, it seems to be accepted by Alma and those with him, as they went and offered up the same prayer. Does that mean Alma was a heretic also?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire passage is about worshiping God with our spirits (or hearts, to use a different word) rather than the outward way they did during the law of Moses! It's not a discussion about how "yeah, God is just a spirit and I (the flesh and blood dude here) am God".

And no comments about how you're trying to convince Mormons not to be Mormons by quoting heretics?
Incorrect. The heart is different from the spirit. Faulty interpretations lead to faulty conclusions.

Alma was a heretic?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Please provide your reference for such a statement. I see in Alma 31:15-18 is a prayer. In Verse 19-20, it seems to be accepted by Alma and those with him, as they went and offered up the same prayer. Does that mean Alma was a heretic also?

Re-read the passage, please.

Alma 31

The prayer is being given by people who are explicitly said as holding heretical beliefs and worshiping in a heretical fashion.

Alma & co are astonished not because they agree with it, but because of how shocking to the sensibilities they find the whole shebang.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Re-read the passage, please.

Alma 31

The prayer is being given by people who are explicitly said as holding heretical beliefs and worshiping in a heretical fashion.

Alma & co are astonished not because they agree with it, but because of how shocking to the sensibilities they find the whole shebang.
Perhaps you could point out the error that I'm not seeing?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
Your post said that Alma accepted the prayer given, when in fact a simple reading of the passage makes it clear he didn't.
Correct.

The OP quoting this passage as an example of how things should be done is like citing the example of worshiping a golden calf as proper behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums