Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Right now many are being warned that because of the Hurricane Irma bearing down on the United States and islands that they may be without power for not just days, but perhaps weeks or longer.

So what sources do you have prepared for the loss of power?

This can be more than just the Hurricane as there is a watch in two days for the possibility of loss of power due to a CMP from the Sun. It was a quite powerful one.

I've purchased one of these and I think it is a very good investment.

Super Bright Tactical Flashlight

This is a great flashlight.
It's small, has a wrist strap for carrying.
One of the features I love about it (and I've had mine and been using it for almost a year) is that it is rechargeable, and not just that but recharges with a USB charger.
I've been using it quite often and have just recharged it for the first time. And their claim that it holds it's powerful brightness until it runs out is very true. I was searching for something and it was bright up until it went out, not like battery operated flashlights that diminish.

I love it so much I'm getting another one. It's got a good weight to it in case in the dark you come upon something and need something for defense. ;)
upload_2017-9-7_4-53-59.jpeg

Now you may say, but if there's no power, then how can you recharge it?

Simple,

Get one of these, it will help recharge a lot of things that are USB rechargeable.
  • 61PoHIgfEfL._SX425_.jpg
It's solar powered and works great! I have two. It has two lights, one a wider one like a lantern, the front and one on the side that is like a flashlight. And the reason I got it, the fan. In a hot climate and the electric goes out !Phew, I need my air! This is great because you can choose the speed by a turn of the knob and can even sit it up on legs, move the fan grill and more!

Another choice, I have four of these.

Light, recharger, heat all from a tea light!

Caframo Limited JOI Candle Powered Lamp

The colored ones are less expensive but have a limited amount available.

Latest energy saving Candlelight uses a tea light candle to create it's own electrcity,converting heat into electric power

upload_2017-9-7_5-15-2.png

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Looks pretty cool. I like my Joi lanterns because you don't have to depend on the sun being out to recharge, you actually turn a 5c tea light candle into electrical power that is used by the lantern itself or can be used to charge a phone, tablet, my flashlight, fans etc. It's like using light to make light ;)

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While I am admittedly not a "prepper" as most call them, I do have a few areas for safety built up.

While you're discussing light sources, you need to consider night vision glasses... BUT as anything EVERYTHING with a switch electrical/mechanical can be disabled by EMP....

Think of mirrors, reflective surfaces for day time (such as into cabins or caves)... and maybe just maybe a faraday box for batteries and radios in case someone else has too you can talk if close enough.... think of sealed metal boxes where nothing inside touches the metal skin or it's useless as a faraday box. Inside a good microwave will work, as these seal to keep microwaves IN...that is, IF a faraday box arrangement will work in the future.

There are you tube videos of how to make your own solar panels... but again you need all the materials and directions prior to any event. There won't be any internet probably long before anything else occurs imo. Taking out ability to communicate is a high priority for take overs.

Learn semaphore and international morse code... this way you can communicate across hill tops, and yes, if you have a mirror and flashlight you can use those for code too. (Learn the distress signals first?)

Candles, wax, wicks, matches.... firestarters, flint sticks/rocks etc.

LED lights use very little battery power but yes, they do use it.

Learn to see in the dark. Wear sunglasses outside ALL THE TIME and at night practice viewing outside when there is no light, or little moonlight. Limit exposure to blue light (video screens, phone screens, electronics) as this will mess up true vision and even your brain. Red light is a bit better (like in submarines) if you have to have light at night... but I suggest going to bed when the sun goes down anyway... and forget night lighting altogether. Now that's prepping!

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
All very good suggestions Dr Jean, thanks for adding those.

I actually have two homebuilt 'faraday cages' which I keep my solar panels, emergency radio, and other solar panel things in.

I also have head lights on hand for hands free moving around in the dark. About a dozen cheap but effective mirrors from the dollar store and lots of aluminum foil which can be used for insulation as well as reflective material.

I also have on hand 1,000's of candles, some for light and others that I will use in the Joi lanterns which give light from the candle and use that energy to charge electronics such as fans, other lanterns and more.

I hadn't thought about night vision goggles but I'm going to go look them up right now!

Upvote 0

elytron

Oct 5, 2008
California
✟290,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I prefer single AA powered LED lights, which size of battery is easy to find. I use rechargeable AA all the time in my light.

To prepare for disasters though, I could assemble a small stockpile of Energizer AA Lithiums. Those have a 20 year shelf life, and last 8 times longer than alkaline. I tend to avoid alkaline because they leak, but if needed -could use any alkaline AA.

Upvote 0

Bee_in_the_Light

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2017
Häme
✟64,811.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Biogas can be used for lighting, as well as many other things. I think this could be relatively easy way to increase your overall resilience to any hardship, in a way that is economical, ecological and very much sustainable. Biggest problems are probably the amount of gas produced and the fact it will most likely be stationary, not portable.

On the other hand, biogas creation and consumption require no electricity - and no electrical equipment. It should work even if all electrical equipment is toast.

Positives:
+ Relatively easy and cheap to build / maintain
+ Economy: provides gas for heating, cooking, lighting also when there is NO catastrophe. Saves you money to use elsewhere.
+ Ecology: runs on biological waste, creates fertilizer as an end/by-product. Helps you create more sustainable society, not less.
+ No electricity needed in any part of the process.

Negatives:
- Mostly usable as stationary. Portable light sources still needed.
- Requires warm conditions to work properly. In cool climates / seasons heating is needed if process is wanted to keep going.
- Relatively small gain of gas compared to biowaste used.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I live in the country. I do not need lights. God has provided enough. If I do not use light sources after dark the moon provides all I need. Neighbor had one of those Christmas trees (electric pole) planted and decorated with a yard light. Rats!!! Now a criminal can see me.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I live in the country. I do not need lights. God has provided enough. If I do not use light sources after dark the moon provides all I need. Neighbor had one of those Christmas trees (electric pole) planted and decorated with a yard light. Rats!!! Now a criminal can see me.

bugkiller
Stay well saint....

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've long been meaning to rig up an old car alternator on a mounted bike frame as a pedal generator. My original plan was for it to power my laptop, so I could only spend time on it if I spent time on the bike first.
Maybe this year :)

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've long been meaning to rig up an old car alternator on a mounted bike frame as a pedal generator. My original plan was for it to power my laptop, so I could only spend time on it if I spent time on the bike first.
Maybe this year :)
That will keep you skinny.;)

bugkiller

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I also have a battery operated lamp for my ball cap ;) But have to stock up on those batteries.

I have a regular battery charger that will trickle charge off any battery power pak with 110-115v. But it will only do AA AAA C D and 9v recharging. Not to mention the rechargeable battery recharger too :)

My foundational flashlight is a crank one, along with my crank radio. I keep it by the bed and use it at night if I have to take the dog out or check the back yard.

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also have a battery operated lamp for my ball cap ;) But have to stock up on those batteries.

I have a regular battery charger that will trickle charge off any battery power pak with 110-115v. But it will only do AA AAA C D and 9v recharging. Not to mention the rechargeable battery recharger too :)

My foundational flashlight is a crank one, along with my crank radio. I keep it by the bed and use it at night if I have to take the dog out or check the back yard.
You know what you are doing saint.
Just a note... we currently have 1 solar battery charged and are planning to get a couple more. Lots of rechargeable batteries too!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKS3Z2/

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Get a solar charger.

bugkiller

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm really not interested in getting into solar yet. I can recharge any battery with my van one way or another or a third. I did order, though, some outdoor solar recharge lights (for walkways) that I'll keep one of... bright new technology with special battery good for sun recharge 5 years? I can use it outside the van or inside if I wish :D I leave the others in the back yard for new owners.

I find that rechargeable batteries won't recharge as many times as regular batteries will... and rechargeable are much more expensive and harder to find in some areas of the country. (Talking regular sizes AA AAA D C...)

With solar panels... whew! What a hassle. Either put on roof or have a suitcase.... move to catch sun, change angles... if on roof then all the transfer electronics and meters. No thanks, for now.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm really not interested in getting into solar yet. I can recharge any battery with my van one way or another or a third. I did order, though, some outdoor solar recharge lights (for walkways) that I'll keep one of... bright new technology with special battery good for sun recharge 5 years? I can use it outside the van or inside if I wish :D I leave the others in the back yard for new owners.

I find that rechargeable batteries won't recharge as many times as regular batteries will... and rechargeable are much more expensive and harder to find in some areas of the country. (Talking regular sizes AA AAA D C...)

With solar panels... whew! What a hassle. Either put on roof or have a suitcase.... move to catch sun, change angles... if on roof then all the transfer electronics and meters. No thanks, for now.
I have a solar unit I can plug into my aux port in my vehicle. Just lay it on the dash. They kale them for regular battery chargers too. You can get solar charged yard lights pretty cheap. The most reliable thing is to get away from light pollution.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hmm buggie I'm not sure of what you mean... solar unit that you plug into vehicle... for charging which way? I think you mean the little panel on the dash grabs sun and funnels it into the aux port for charging your electronics? Kewl. But if you have any sunshielding on the windshield you are losing power... direct sun is key.

I have 12v outlets all over the van, 3 or 4 only for when engine is running, and a 110v with engine coming off dual AGMs at 60ah. I also have shore power, or use of the generator underneath (uses fuel from van tank).... each recharges the AGMs, genset has it's own agm starter battery underneath.

I have rechargers for 'all' batteries... and I bought very new technology brite light long lasting solar lights of which I will keep one or two (maybe put one in storage) keep on van for inside night light if boondocking or "stealth" camping.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hmm buggie I'm not sure of what you mean... solar unit that you plug into vehicle... for charging which way? I think you mean the little panel on the dash grabs sun and funnels it into the aux port for charging your electronics? Kewl. But if you have any sunshielding on the windshield you are losing power... direct sun is key.

I have 12v outlets all over the van, 3 or 4 only for when engine is running, and a 110v with engine coming off dual AGMs at 60ah. I also have shore power, or use of the generator underneath (uses fuel from van tank).... each recharges the AGMs, genset has it's own agm starter battery underneath.

I have rechargers for 'all' batteries... and I bought very new technology brite light long lasting solar lights of which I will keep one or two (maybe put one in storage) keep on van for inside night light if boondocking or "stealth" camping.
I have a solar charger the plugs into the aux port. I do not use it at this point. They make solar flashlight chargers.

bugkiller

Upvote 0